Hot Rod Deluxe Drive Pedal Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hot Rod Deluxe Drive Pedal Recommendations

I have a Dean EVO Special Select, which is pretty much a Les Paul style humbucker guitar.

Comment

I agree that a speaker may make the biggest difference, too often overlooked...

That said, if you want a clean Fender to sound like a Marshall, your best bet is something like a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret - http://www.catalinbread.com/product/...little-secret/
      No clipping diodes, overdriven FETs like most of the new "amp in a box" pedals. Other good choices would be Wampler Plexi-(whatever it is called), AMT M2, JHS Angry Charlie, GGG BSIAB II (if you are up to building it yourself), CmatMods Brownie (which is pretty much a BSAIB), JHS Angry Charlie, and there are more I'm sure I'm forgetting. All of these are more amp-like than a standard distortion pedal, and work well being boosted by other pedals (like an amp).

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
        I agree that a speaker may make the biggest difference, too often overlooked...

That said, if you want a clean Fender to sound like a Marshall, your best bet is something like a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret - http://www.catalinbread.com/product/...little-secret/
        No clipping diodes, overdriven FETs like most of the new "amp in a box" pedals. Other good choices would be Wampler Plexi-(whatever it is called), AMT M2, JHS Angry Charlie, GGG BSIAB II (if you are up to building it yourself), CmatMods Brownie (which is pretty much a BSAIB), JHS Angry Charlie, and there are more I'm sure I'm forgetting. All of these are more amp-like than a standard distortion pedal, and work well being boosted by other pedals (like an amp).
        Of those that you mentioned, I can only really afford the BSIAB2. The full kit costs $60, but someone is selling an already built one for $36.50 on Reverb, does that seem legit?

QUALITY LOW $$  FOR YOUR PEDAL BOARD  A NICELY BUILT GENERAL GUITAR GADGETS  GGG BSIAB 2  4 KNOB WHICH IS  THE CONTOUR KNOB ALSO TRIM POT INSIDE FOR FURTHER TWEAKING  THIS PEDAL  SOUNDS KILLER THIS IS A GREAT DEAL NICE PRICE  COMES AS YOU SEE IN ...

Comment

Yep, that looks like the real deal, great price too.

Sent from my C6740 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
            What guitar(s) are you using?

I have a Hot Rod Deluxe with an Eminence Legend speaker in it and absolutely love it, also have a spare Cannabis Rex that I may try out just to hear how it sounds...but agree that a new speaker and tubes can do wonders for the amp.

I had the drive section modded to sound more like a Mesa Boogie Rectifier--had it done by a local amp tech, Acorn Amps. It sounds night and day better. I still use pedals though.

I am a huge Mad Professor fan, love how their pedals respond, so majority of my suggestions are biased towards their stuff. But here is what I've found works best for me with my Hot Rod:

Mad Professor Sky Blue Overdrive: Works best with single coils, incredible organic overdrive that goes from almost clean to completely overdriven based off of how hard to are picking

Mad Professor Golden Cello: Works best with humbuckers, very warm and singing overdrive pedal...very unique pedal and different from any I've ever tried

Mad Professor Stone Grey: Think of 80's rock and metal in a pedal, more compressed tone so no flabby notes/chords

Mad Professor Ruby Red: More of a booster pedal that can do drive BUT this really enhances the clean channel if you are in need of a clean lead tone

Suhr Shiba Drive: My opinion of how a Tube Screamer should work...organic overdrive sound

Suhr Riot: High gain territory, superb for leads but can be dialed down as well for power chords......if money is tight then get a Joyo US Dream, you will thank me later jk

Last and not least, a ProCo Rat or ProCo Solo (Rat on steroids!): Classic drive tone than can do slight overdrive/boost to crunch to all out gain

Best of luck man and enjoy the amp!
            Speak of MP... the Sweet Honey or Sweet Honey Deluxe (new) would be really good choices. My #1 pedal is a cheap clone of the Sweet Honey and it's a great tone through a Hot Rod.
            Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
              Speak of MP... the Sweet Honey or Sweet Honey Deluxe (new) would be really good choices. My #1 pedal is a cheap clone of the Sweet Honey and it's a great tone through a Hot Rod.
              What do you think of the Joyo Sweet Baby and the Tone City Sweet Cream clones?

Comment

I've never heard of the Tone City, but I use the Joyo and I love it. It's been on my board for about 3-4 years at this point. I've never had any problems with it. It's my go-to OD pedal for pretty much everything. It's very responsive to volume knob tweaks and pickup changes.

The MP Sweet Honey Deluxe has me GASing pretty hard though.
                Go Packers!

Comment

Have you tried a Golden Cello? IF yes, what did you think of it compared to the Sweet Honey?

It sounds like an awesome pedal, just don't have anymore room on my board for more pedals! lol

Comment

...............but I use the Joyo and I love it........................
                    Great pedal! I have two. Some will shy away because it (JOYO Sweet Baby) is so inexpensive, made in China, and was cloned from the MP Sweet Honey, but that's their loss.

Comment

A used Barber Small fry....

Super versatile!
                      Originally posted by tone4days
                      we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                        Have you tried a Golden Cello? IF yes, what did you think of it compared to the Sweet Honey?

It sounds like an awesome pedal, just don't have anymore room on my board for more pedals! lol
                        Never tried the golden cello. I have been intrigued though.
                        Go Packers!

Comment

Never tried the golden cello. I have been intrigued though.
                          I really really love the Golden Cello...very unique pedal. The Sweet Honey seems like one I would really like, but I just don't have any room on my board. lol

Comment

Is there a cheap clone of the Golden Cello?

Comment

Originally posted by Mukobi View Post
                              Is there a cheap clone of the Golden Cello?
                              Not that I'm aware of....wish there was.

Comment

How about the good ol' Boss Super Overdrive?

Comment

Working...
                                X