Help me restore my Fender Jazz Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help me restore my Fender Jazz Bass

Wow, nice! I'd love to see pics of the progress, and hear it when it is finished...
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hey. I just upgraded a '00 mim jazz. Ended up going with Dimarzio 123's. Tried the 149's but to much low and especially high end. 123's much better, and not quite a direct drop in, but very close. Also put a Gotoh 201 on her. Great bass in mint, but can't get into the jazz sound, singer loves it. Needless to say it's up for sale and got a '99 mim p bass..much better sound..to me. Be careful with buying pickups, make sure to buy from company with no question asked exchange ie dimarzio, S/D...save my butt...lol

Comment

Soon enough.

Comment

Tort on white? Me likey!

I was gifted some SD's, provenance assured... I think handwound by MJ herself. (please, Big Guy? Pretty please?)
          Slap monster, and very thick Jaco-ness.

<--- (that's a net grab, but it's the same fretboard and body color)

It was beat on when I got it, so I didn't bother. It just plain jams.
          I'm not sure about the Emerson kit. Is that passive (cap and resistor), or does it need a 9v?
          The only reason I'd boost the output would be for lower noise, because otherwise this thing brings it home.
          sigpic
          "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
          --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
          Originally posted by Lewguitar
          In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

It's a treble bleed mod on the vol. pots. I like the taper on these, very similar to Bourns pots. CTS makes these to their specs. I've never really dived into experimenting with bass components, so the cap value and treble bleed will provide new stuff to hear. Simple things to remove if I don't like them.

Nice. I'm very tempted to just get a badass II and top load the strings. Gotoh also makes reasonably priced high mass bridges. I love their Tuners and other bridges. We'll see. For now, I'll keep the stock bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 07-13-2016, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Update: the body has been finished. Looks great. Should be shipped out soon and I'll be putting her back together shortly.

Edit:
              Originally posted by mannydog View Post
              Hey. I just upgraded a '00 mim jazz. Ended up going with Dimarzio 123's. Tried the 149's but to much low and especially high end. 123's much better, and not quite a direct drop in, but very close. Also put a Gotoh 201 on her. Great bass in mint, but can't get into the jazz sound, singer loves it. Needless to say it's up for sale and got a '99 mim p bass..much better sound..to me. Be careful with buying pickups, make sure to buy from company with no question asked exchange ie dimarzio, S/D...save my butt...lol
              Sorry for the late reply lol. Yeah, I definitely feel ya. I would classify myself as more of a P bass player. The thinner neck on the J is nice too tho. My dream bass to this day is still a EBMM Stingray. It's just a powerhouse of a bass. I regret not waiting for one to be shipped to the guitar center where I got my J.
              Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 08-03-2016, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Got the body today. Looks super clean and light. I did a quick mock up to make sure it's what I wanted/saw in my head

I had all the parts waiting on the bass to be painted, but it came together pretty easy.

Came out better than expected.

Pardon the cell phone pictures. I haven't had too much time with the bass. Just strung it up, tuned it, and double checked the wiring. It's running great. I hope to slam this puppy through the SVT-3 Pro tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread.

Comment

Pickguard? tortoiseshell all the way, with a white body and a maple neck, Badass bridge, and I personally like SD Antiquities II for that classic rock tone!
                  BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
                  Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
                  Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
                  Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
                  Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
                  Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
                  Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
                  Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
                  Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
                  Gibson EBO

Comment

Nice! I'd play that!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

looks great! i have a strat that would be a nice match to that. bet it sounds great through the svt3. what cab do you use?

Comment

Wow, that project came out great! Can we hear it?
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That does look pretty damn awesome.

Comment

Just saw this. Thanks guys. It came out well partly in thanks to all the feedback. I should have recording capabilities here within 2-3 months. No clips at the moment, but I should be able to record directly with the SVT 3 Pro once I build the desktop. I have monitors and the program. Just need a computer rig, interface, and mics.

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            looks great! i have a strat that would be a nice match to that. bet it sounds great through the svt3. what cab do you use?
                            I swapped out the old groove tubes for tungsol 12ax7s/12au7. Jeez, it's punchy and harmonically richer than ever. I always got compliments from the sound guys when I take the full bass rig out. I run it with a Ampeg 4x10 HLF. It's built like a tank. I like it better with 5 strings, but still kills with 4 strings. The 8x10 would've been nice, but wasn't practical for most gigs. The 4x10 was enough for the venues we played. I also have a GK cab, but I was only able to run 250w out of it, so I was fighting to be heard haha.

Edit: I'll see if I can take a pic of the bass rig tonight. I finally got my p bass back from my old guitar player. She's getting a make over too.

Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 08-31-2016, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Comment

the hlf is great for 5 strings! for 4 strings the 8x10 is a beast

Comment

Working...
                                X