banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alnico Magnets in Nazgul 6 String Humbucker...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alnico Magnets in Nazgul 6 String Humbucker...

I figured someone out there must have tried this @ some point? I was hoping for some feedback on what you thought when you tried it & also what kind of Alnico you used. I guess the obvious choice for it would be a A8 but I'm also kinda interested to know what it would sound like with a A5 & anything else. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Re: Alnico Magnets in Nazgul 6 String Humbucker...

I've not done it yet, But I have an A5 for my nazgul 7. It's already such a mid heavy pickup, I'd wouldn't think an A8 would sit well in a nazgul. I could be wrong. I'm thinking an A5 will tame some of that a lower the output some. I might get to that this weekend.
    Last edited by chris effect; 03-11-2016, 11:18 AM. Reason: poorly worded
    "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

How about a regular thickness ceramic?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        How about a regular thickness ceramic?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
        LOL, I've actually already considered that & really I think it's a great idea... Too bad I just gave away the ceramic that came out of a SH-5 I converted into a SH-14! I suppose I could always just get another but I've got A2's & A5's on hand, I'm wondering if either of them will make it sound a little less sterile sounding?
        I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Anyone tried this yet? I have a pegasus that I've swapped a standard thickness ceramic into as well as an alnico 8. Both were pretty cool, but I'm really wanting to try an alnico 5 nazgul.

Comment

I haven't done it, and haven't read of anyone doing it yet, but I'd be interested to know what happens if you try. The whole magnet swapping thing is still fairly new to the end user outside this forum, and the Nazgul is still a relatively new pickup outside of these parts.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
              Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!
              The target demographic of these p'ups is the least probable to be interested in tone tweaking by mag swapping.

Sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                The target demographic of these p'ups is the least probable to be interested in tone tweaking by mag swapping.

Sorry!
                Hahaha, that's all too true.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a 7 string model to play around with.

Comment

I'm bumping this thread because I've always been curious about mag-swapping the Nazgul and there don't seem to be any real-world reports. In fact, the Nazgul is one of the least-talked about pickups around here these days!

I'm no stranger to mag-swapping in general, so I get how each magnet type is *likely* to affect things in a general sense, but I'm curious if anyone has actually tried a mag-swap with this particular pickup and what your impressions are/were?

Comment

I’ve been waiting for somebody to do this too. The nazgul is a little too much and the Pegasus is a little too little. I’ve wondered what the nazgul and omega sound like with an A5. The Hyperion comes real close to how I want things, like a slightly hotter Pegasus, but it doesn’t come as a separate line and probably never will for a seven string. A5 pickups tend to have some charm to them. There are enough stock guitars with nazguls on them that one would think that somebody would have swapped the magnet already.

Comment

More metal-focused forums talk about it a lot more, but those who didn't like it, just want to replace it, not mod it. I don't think it isn't mod-able, I just think the target audience for a pickup like that just likes buying new pickups a lot.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm sure you're right. Still, seems like such a good candidate for mag swapping.

I don't currently have one, but if I did, I'd either toss an A2 in it to see if I could make a less stuffy Custom Custom or inject an A8 and see if it would give the JB a run for its hard rock money.

I still wish I knew what was going on under the hood of this one! 13.6K and a double-thick magnet for the 6-string version is all we have to go on. Trem-spaced versions are 14.4K or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                          I'm sure you're right. Still, seems like such a good candidate for mag swapping.

I don't currently have one, but if I did, I'd either toss an A2 in it to see if I could make a less stuffy Custom Custom or inject an A8 and see if it would give the JB a run for its hard rock money.

I still wish I knew what was going on under the hood of this one! 13.6K and a double-thick magnet for the 6-string version is all we have to go on. Trem-spaced versions are 14.4K or so.
                          What? No UOA5?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180320_140808.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	5818281
                            A couple years ago, based on Clint 55's recommendation I planned to swap a double-thickness A5 magnet into a Nazgul. I had to order it from Cer-Mag in England. A lot pricier proposition than the usual Addiction-FX. Turned out that it was even thicker than the stock Nazgul magnet, and due to the pickup's construction, it couldn't be used. Hopefully this photo comes through to show why. I suppose a normal-thickness magnet would work, but I gave up on that project, and no longer own that guitar, either. (Currently I am REALLY liking the Black Winter in my Banshee, though!)
                            Schecter Banshee Elite-6 (Natural Gloss), Custom/59-A4
                            Schecter Banshee Elite-6 (Cat's Eye Pearl), Black Winter/Sentient-A2
                            Schecter Blackjack SLS, Full Shred/Jazz
                            Marshall DSL-40CR

Comment

Oh, and as you may see by my sig line, I now have a "proper" amp. I had started a thread back then about the possibility of mag-swapping the Nazgul and got a bit of grief over my gear. Anyway, good luck! And now I'm off to see about mag-swapping a Full Shred....
                              Last edited by Sun King; 02-20-2020, 10:17 PM.
                              Schecter Banshee Elite-6 (Natural Gloss), Custom/59-A4
                              Schecter Banshee Elite-6 (Cat's Eye Pearl), Black Winter/Sentient-A2
                              Schecter Blackjack SLS, Full Shred/Jazz
                              Marshall DSL-40CR

Comment

Working...
                              X