Thoughts on Pedal Tuner vs Clip on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on Pedal Tuner vs Clip on?

I also use one on my phone... an app called "Tuner Lite" that is extremely accurate and you can even calibrate it to NOT be A440 if you wanted to. I like it for doing stuff like setting intonation where you start worrying about being very exact.

Edit: oh yeah, forgot to mention that it's FREE!

[emoji450]Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk [emoji441]
    Last edited by BriGuy1968; 03-19-2016, 11:34 AM.
    Originally posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Re: Thoughts on Pedal Tuner vs Clip on?

Looks goofy, can fall / get knocked off, can't be used as a mute, can be tough to read.

Handy? Yes. For a show? Never.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Anyone had any luck with their clip on tuners and 5-string bass? I've found the Snark SN-8 Supertight to work decently, but often I use a 12th fret harmonic to make an average clip on tuner work.

I've got a couple super cheap ones that get blown out on Amazon for $2, and they work as well as a good ol' TU-2 for my guitars and bass, but they can't read a 5 string at all, and I've had issues with the Reverb tuner doing the same.

I've found myself liking the Planet Waves micro tuner a lot. It's barely noticeable from the front, it's clamped on tight, and I don't have to take it off to put my guitars away. At this point I'm only really using that one on 6-in-line headstocks. I haven't tried it on a 3 x 3.

I plan on keeping my old Korg on my A rig, but I just can't seem to justify the need for a pedal tuner for my B rig. I could maybe see getting a polyphonic tuner like the Polytune or Pitchblack Poly, or something like the Pitchblack Plus with the built in A B pedal. I could also see myself getting something ridiculously accurate like a Strobo stomp or something for when I'm playing with more keyboards and synthesizers that are always tuning accurate, but the new Snark Hz tells me my accuracy down to a 10th of a hertz.

I still find myself looking for good deals on the Pitchblacks and the Polytunes, and if I found one for the right price, I would probably snatch it up no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
          I also use one on my phone... an app called "Tuner Lite" that is extremely accurate and you can even calibrate it to NOT be A440 if you wanted to. I like it for doing stuff like setting intonation where you start worrying about being very exact.

Edit: oh yeah, forgot to mention that it's FREE!

I've got an app called Tuneable I like a whole lot. It was a couple bucks, but worth it to me as something I use fairly regularly. I really don't like to tune with my phone if I have another option, but it's an indispensable back up! There's just no excuse to not be in tune these days!

Comment

Originally posted by BX8a
            Now that clip-ons are widely available in a very affordable price and superb accuracy, I can't find any plausible reason to use a pedal tuner. And I can't never find a reason to buy a pedal that costs on par with a distortion pedal, but the only thing it does is tuning; let a lone a rack tuner. 100 bucks for a tuner? Come on...

I have been using Korg PC-1 for almost a year now. It's accurate, very convenient; don't need to go over to my board to check my tuning; and it's so cheap I'll just get a new one if it breaks. Plus, since the screen is reversible, I can put it on in reverse behind the headstock.
            My rack has a power conditioner in it, so the rack is always with me. My amp has a tuner out/mute button on the footswitch, making it easy and convenient with multiple guitars without having to change anything. I never have to worry about a dead battery or broken clip, as I've had before with clip on tuners. The display is huge and bright, making it easy to read in almost any situation and the strobe mode is great for intonation work.

In short, Iit's a great option for me. I can see where some other people might not be in the same situation and would opt for other solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by DinoTrousers View Post
              I really don't like to tune with my phone if I have another option, but it's an indispensable back up! There's just no excuse to not be in tune these days!
              Agreed... under most circumstances it's far less than ideal, but it's also bailed me out a couple of times.

No excuse... you're absolutely right!

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                My rack has a power conditioner in it, so the rack is always with me. My amp has a tuner out/mute button on the footswitch, making it easy and convenient with multiple guitars without having to change anything. I never have to worry about a dead battery or broken clip, as I've had before with clip on tuners. The display is huge and bright, making it easy to read in almost any situation and the strobe mode is great for intonation work.

In short, Iit's a great option for me. I can see where some other people might not be in the same situation and would opt for other solutions.
                If you have it anyway (like part of a rack, amp, or existing pedal, I think it's much more convenient than the clip-on... especially during performances.

I too can see where it would be a better fit though. If I'm unplugged or if real estate on a board was an issue I'd be all over it.

It's really kind of nice to have both ways available!

Comment

A lot depends on the nature of the situation though, for live purposes I wouldn't want a clip on, I run around quite alot and bump my singer with the headstock often. And dead batteries on stage aren't any use to anyone!!

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
                    If you have it anyway (like part of a rack, amp, or existing pedal, I think it's much more convenient than the clip-on... especially during performances.

I too can see where it would be a better fit though. If I'm unplugged or if real estate on a board was an issue I'd be all over it.

It's really kind of nice to have both ways available!

Oh, I have a handful of the clip on tuners too. They're great for when I don't feel like plugging into the whole rig. The right tool for the job and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      Looks goofy, can fall / get knocked off, can't be used as a mute, can be tough to read.

Pretty much where I'm at for it too. Especially the muting aspect. I use my tuner pedals as much for that as for tuning.

Plus, when I used it on acoustic guitar at shows, if the bassist or drummer were playing anything at all, it wrecked the accuracy.
                      Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by DinoTrousers View Post
                        There's just no excuse to not be in tune these days!

And yet I see bands, even at festivals, where the guitarist is out of tune. I don't understand it. How hard is it to do a quick check between songs? Single notes are bad enough, but to be playing chords way out of tune...
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

i dunno man. I've got a tu-3 pedal tuner and it works great, is easy to use and is bright as hell. but I've been using clip ons at gigs for years and never had a problem. I really like those little planet waves ones. I have one for pretty much every guitar in my quiver and they just live there. Somehow i just keep collecting them, intelli, snark, dimarzio, planet waves. The little ones are the best tho.
                          As far as muting goes...i just roll off the guitar volume.
                          The downside is that they can struggle with low notes, but i just play the harmonic and they read pretty well.
                          The only issues with tuning usually come from my singing!
                          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I have the blue Snark, great tuner take it everywhere I go. It's accurate easy to use. Clip on all the way for me.
                            If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

My personal tgought is that headstock tuners are more accurate because they take the vi brations from the guitar itself instead of the pickups, which could have shielding issues that cause inaccuracies.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                                As far as muting goes...i just roll off the guitar volume.
                                I do that when I've only got one guitar I'm playing, but it's handy to have a mute button to switch guitars. I also used to play in a band where I'd switch back and forth from acoustic to electric about 5 or 6 times in the average gig. I quickly learned not to trust the sound man when it comes to muting. And with no volume knob on the guitar, or on the DI I was using for much of the time in that band, feedback became a huge problem. Hence the need for a mute switch.

I love my headstock tuners for around the house, for picking circles, and for parties, but I just feel so much more comfortable with a tuner pedal at a gig.
                                Go Packers!

Comment

Working...
                                X