banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a cheap guitar just for practice. What's the best I can get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need a cheap guitar just for practice. What's the best I can get?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Facepalm-Meme-12.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	5792409

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
      All depends on what music you're playing, and what you're playing it with. If you've got a Strat/Super Strat and are playing metal, JB's a great choice. If you're playing blues on an LP, there's a whole lot of better options. There is no sliver bullet; no PU does everything well.

Oh, come on, man! I set you up so beautifully! ;D
      I strive to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz Rules View Post
        Rule #2: You MUST ask Blueman if he thinks you should get a JB for the bridge (sorry, I just couldn't resist!)
        After doing a quick search I found a used SH-5 for 70 euros ( amount saved from not getting the 2TS version ). I listened to some demos and I like it, but as blueman335 said it would be better if I first played the guitar and then decide what to change.

Still didn't get an e-mail with the payment info because it's Easter here and their offices are probably closed. So I will probably get it next week D:

Comment

Originally posted by Χάρης View Post
          After doing a quick search I found a used SH-5 for 70 euros ( amount saved from not getting the 2TS version ). I listened to some demos and I like it, but as blueman335 said it would be better if I first played the guitar and then decide what to change.

Still didn't get an e-mail with the payment info because it's Easter here and their offices are probably closed. So I will probably get it next week D:
          Used SH-5 for 70e sounds high, unless that includes shipping from another country.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
          @ArizonaVoters

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, Ibanez is the go-to make for inexpensive and HIGHLY DECENT guitars. It is possible to find an expensive Ibanez, but my Artcore AF55 came to me for less than $300 (< 260 Euros). Incidentally, I also own an Epiphone Les Paul and a Squier Stratocaster, which are the perfect guitars to compare it to as they're in the same price range; they pale in comparison, for reasons I'll list below.

One, my Ibanez has the highest level output of any of those others. Add to that the fact that I rewired the pickup leads and added a switch plate for coil-splitting (and I keep it in single-coil mode almost all the time), and accidentally wired the pickups perpetually out of phase. So, in single coil mode, with both pickups selected and out of phase, the signal is STILL louder than both the Squier and the Epi. That's impressive. (NOTE: The pickups are not 4-conductor-wired, they are 2-conductor - I had to take the pickups apart and attach separate leads to the coils' start and finish in order to be able to split them. Hard work, never doing it again, but you're welcome to try.)

Two, it's semi-hollow. This means that it gets decent sound unplugged, so if you don't have an amp, or don't want to use one, you can practice quietly and still hear yourself. (I've wanted for a very long time to add a piezo transducer under or in te bridge, but wiring that together with the magnetic pickups is very difficult. You could put a microphone next to it if you wanted to go acoustic on stage.)

Three, IT'S SEMI-HOLLOW. This means that it's all around a beautiful guitar and a joy to play. It gets marvelous sustain, and if you add some gain to your signal you can get some cool harmonic feedback. LOADS of fun there.

One or two things that I wished were different. I got the floor model, so I don't know if this is typical, but the truss rod needed tightening and the bridge needed heightening, or else there was some fret buzz when I played up high. The other thing is, well, it's a semi-hollow. There's no pickguard on the front or access panel on the back, so if you want to make any changes to the wiring, it all has to come out the f-holes or pickup routes, and it all has to go in again when you're done, and that's HARD. I still believe it's well worth it just because semi-hollows are a blast to play, but if you like getting down and dirty with the wiring, you might not like the challenge this one provides.

There's my two cents, generously given.
            - Aero

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
              Used SH-5 for 70e sounds high, unless that includes shipping from another country.
              Indeed, I removed the price filter and found a new one for 76.

Comment

Yeah see how you like the guitar 1st it may be fine as is, there are cheaper pickups out there and remember for almost every pickup swap carried out the old one gets put on ebay,

Comment

... ok, I guess I'll go with the squier.
                  I have the Squire Affinity it is good value for the money plays well . IMO best value for your dollar. For a tuner a good one that's not expensive is the blue Snark.
                  If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

The 2 tone sunburst guitar dropped to 189 and my Squier has still not arrived ... it's so damn tempting. I'm not really interested in the looks, but I always dreamed about having a sunburst themed guitar.

Oh well, I'll get a 2ts guitar somewhere in the future :/ (sorry for bumping, you can lock this thread since my decision has been done).

Comment

Working...
                    X