banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a cheap guitar just for practice. What's the best I can get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need a cheap guitar just for practice. What's the best I can get?

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
    You are playing acoustic wrong then.

I don't think so. I do a lot of deep string bends, often with fast vibrato on my electrics (like Peter Green), with 9 gauge strings. Key part of my style. Never seen anyone do that on an acoustic.

The OP gave a list of 3 electric guitars to choose from. He also was the first one to 'like' Dominus' response about sticking to electrics, and not acoustics. Seems pretty clear he wants an electric.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
      I don't think so. I do a lot of deep string bends, often with fast vibrato on my electrics (like Peter Green), with 9 gauge strings. Key part of my style. Never seen anyone do that on an acoustic.
      You haven't? You must be very selective in who you listen to/watch live

So you've never seen someone do this on an acoustic?

Or what about this:

Or this:

And Phil opened up for the Beetles, a master of both electric and acoustic

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
      The OP gave a list of 3 electric guitars to choose from. He also was the first one to 'like' Dominus' response about sticking to electrics, and not acoustics. Seems pretty clear he wants an electric.
      Again, the OP never said "no acoustics" and this is an online forum for suggestions right? Saying wood with strings for practicing does not entail just electrics my friend.
      Last edited by treyhaislip; 03-21-2016, 04:01 PM. Reason: Messed up quote :D

Comment

How about on of these?

A good junior is the only...........

Comment

I'd go acoustic too.

The key points on practice (as opposed to just having fun) is that you are trying to accomplish a set task. And having an instrument that is less forgiving makes the task much more difficult.....hence your ability slightly better once you get onto an easier instrument to play. Also acoustic will be louder in the unplugged state (if you were just to play on the couch for example), which will magnify the errors once again and make for a more pedantic application toward perfection.

It really matters not at all what the various forumites think of an acoustic from a personal perspective, or whether it suits their needs in the least. It is the OP that needs to consider the acoustic as an option here.

Comment

Pawnshop.

Get a couple...

"Scalloped & Stickered"
            A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

I'd vote Squire

But Epiphone makes nice ones too
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

If you want to play ACOUSTIC - get an acoustic.

If you want to play electric - get an ELECTRIC.

There is NO ANSWER more correct than this. The "Acoustic will make you better" is BS.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I started on an acoustic. When I was about 14 I taped an old microphone to the sound board under the bridge and plugged it into my stereo - my first "electric".

I agree that playing acoustic makes you a better electric player. But you could argue the reverse as well.

If someone is starting out they should have an instrument they will love to play, bond with and pick up often. It doesn't have to be great, any halfway decent guitar can do more than you ever can as a player.

That being said -
                  +1 on Epiphones, I always recommend an Epiphone SG as the ideal electric starter.

sigpic

Comment

The Vintage Modified series is very solid for the money. I have a VM Telecaster that I have been gigging regularly for about 3 years. It stays in tune really well, sounds good, plays great. It's a great choice.

RE: Acoustic vs. Electric

I think playing acoustic as much as I do absolutely makes me a better electric player. That being said, if I'm practicing an electric guitar song, I grab my electric guitar, never my acoustic.
                    Go Packers!

Comment

I disagree that an acoustic makes you a better player. Can't see how any one could say that. I started playing on electric a Squire Affinity Strat good starter guitar for the money and I still enjoy playing it, even though I have 2 other axes that are better quality. I also play my electrics with a small amp that plugs right into the guitar when I play at campfires. It's called Amp U Plug N Play Next Generation to me anyone who has electric should have one. Its small and handy as can be also good for practising. Don't want to get off topic here. If you want acoustic go for it. I believe when learning going Electric will keep you more in the game, and in turn more enjoyment.
                      If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

Originally posted by Godin15 View Post
                        I disagree that an acoustic makes you a better player. Can't see how any one could say that.
                        The reason I say it is because when I started playing acoustic guitar more seriously, I noticed a big improvement in my finger strength and dexterity, and my picking accuracy. I don't think it had much of an effect on my style or anything, but I definitely noticed an improvement in my technique as the amount of acoustic I played increased.
                        Go Packers!

Comment

^^^ that's why I recommended the Ibanez with 11s or heavier on it. Electric shape to its finest, fast neck, and still suitable for practice due to the heavy strings.

Comment

To the OP, I think all your choices are good. But don't rule out a tremolo. A Jingo block turns a negative into a positive.

Originally posted by Rand-O-Monium View Post
                            Pawnshop.

Get a couple...

Or a flea-market. Don't know if they have those in the OP's neck 'o the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
                              The reason I say it is because when I started playing acoustic guitar more seriously, I noticed a big improvement in my finger strength and dexterity, and my picking accuracy. I don't think it had much of an effect on my style or anything, but I definitely noticed an improvement in my technique as the amount of acoustic I played increased.
                              +1

If you play on a guitar that requires you to use more finger strength, you will build up more strength all things being equal.
                              If you play on a guitar requiring more attention to make the notes sound out clearly, you will develop this as a natural thing.

People's (and muscles) overriding trait generally is laziness.....mainly in that you only develop the specific strength and agility you train. This has been shown with athletes the world over.

Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

Comment

Jackson JS series is worth a look! JS20 or JS30 series. Insane quality for the price, mine (JS22) was flawless and plays better than most 500-700€ axes
                                My Band: Cyllene

Comment

Working...
                                X