banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a cheap guitar just for practice. What's the best I can get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need a cheap guitar just for practice. What's the best I can get?

Originally posted by Χάρης View Post
    I'm basically looking for a wood with strings on it to practice.

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
    You guys keep derailing the OP's thread, probably scared him off. It's not up to you to tell someone how they should practice, and then keep harping on it. What are you going to do next, tell him how to dress? He just wants to know which of those 3 guitars we'd recommend.
    Apparently 2+2= 476 now

Comment

- I listened to the 3 videos you posted, start to finish. Good players at what they do, but neither of them came anywhere close to doing what Kirwan and Green did with their wild bends. Most guys can't do that on electrics.

- I don't need your approval about my playing, anymore than you need mine. I get a lot of compliments from audiences, musicians, and band members; I'm happy with my playing style. I like to expand my skills and do that by assimilating different scales and modes, and trying them in new places. Acoustic playing isn't the direction I want to go.

- By going on and on about acoustics when the OP asked about electrics. You guys are too pushy. Lighten up.
      You are referring to something two guys do in a solo and basing your entire style off of it. I'm not approving or disproving your playing–just saying an that an entire method of guitar playing using only insane string bends is very limited...there is a lot more to playing the guitar than bending strings.

Lighten up? I'm already working on that, see in this thread

And why don't you look in the mirror before you tell someone else to lighten up? Just a thought pal
      Last edited by treyhaislip; 03-22-2016, 02:04 PM. Reason: I can't spell today :D

Comment

Originally posted by regan View Post
        - beginners fingertips will be sore no matter what due to steel strings not the guitar,

- a 25.5" scale guitar will be under the same tension regardless if its electric or acoustic & action can be adjusted on acoustics also.

- Not true. An 11 or 12 gauge acoustic with round wounds is far harder on new fingers than a 9 gauge electric. You can adjust action on electrics and get them where you want them. Few people can do that on the average acoustic. Beginners buy inexpensive guitars; electrics in that price range are more adjustable and easier to play than acoustics. They're not going to be spending what you did on your acoustics. Your point on your acoustics having nice actions doesn't apply to them on their much more modest guitars.

- I use 9's on 24.75" scale guitars. No acoustic is as easy for me to play the way I do on electrics. You prefer to pick up an acoustic and play for hours, I prefer to pick up an electric and play for hours. It's all personal preference; I fail to see any validity to the statement you made. You're acoustic-oriented, some people are electric-oriented. Your inability to get your amp dialed in for home use isn't making the point you think it is. A lot of people don't have that problem.

Practice like you want, on what you want, and let it go.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
          using insane string bends

'Insane string bends' that you can't do on an acoustic. That was my point. There are things you can do on an electric, that you can't on an acoustic, or practice on an acoustic.
          Last edited by blueman335; 03-22-2016, 02:25 PM.
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Just my 2 cents not that anyone cares - I would bring my acoustic to gigs to warm up on even though I didn't use it on stage. The wider neck and higher action was the equivalent to jogging with ankle weights. If I got my bends and vibrato down on the acoustic my fingers where a lot faster and comfortable on the electric. Even today when I am working on scales or any task driven guitar work it is done mainly on the acoustic. You need to play more accurately and cleaner to produce the right tone. Doing bends and getting great vibrato out of an acoustic is not a new thing it just takes practice. Listening to some John Lee Hooker or Son House is a good place to start.

Comment

That was my point. There are things you can do on an electric, that you can't on an acoustic.
              Please give me an example. Because insane string bends are possible on an acoustic.

Comment

'Insane string bends' that you can't do on an acoustic. That was my point. There are things you can do on an electric, that you can't on an acoustic.
                I never said anything you do on an electric you can do on an acoustic–I said playing/concentrating on acoustic improved my electric playing.

You said:

I do a lot of deep string bends, often with fast vibrato on my electrics (like Peter Green), with 9 gauge strings. Key part of my style. Never seen anyone do that on an acoustic
                And I responded with a video of a guy doing a Peter Green cover that included some very nice string bends–deep to some but apparently nothing at all like what is the core of your style. We have know gone from "deep" to "insane" bends.

With all due respect, I've seen the videos you referenced in arguments with other forum members and your style includes little to no "insane string bends."

I would say Phil Keaggy's stuff on acoustic was pretty insane for an acoustic–but its just "good" to you (understatement of the year.)

Since derailing the thread is so important to you, why don't you "lighten up" and let it go? You should take your own advice bud.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                  Please give me an example. Because insane string bends are possible on an acoustic.

The video I mentioned a few posts up that contains the alleged 'insane string bends.' They didn't do it to that extent on every song, but it's great stuff when they did. Also a big fan of early Jimmy Page and his incredible energy and wild bends.
                  Last edited by blueman335; 03-22-2016, 02:29 PM.

Comment

- Not true. An 11 or 12 gauge acoustic with round wounds is far harder on new fingers than a 9 gauge electric. You can adjust action on electrics and get them where you want them. Few people can do that on the average acoustic. Beginners buy inexpensive guitars; electrics in that price range are more adjustable and easier to play than acoustics. They're not going to be spending what you did on your acoustics. Your point on your acoustics having nice actions doesn't apply to them on their much more modest guitars.

- I use 9's on 24.75" scale guitars. No acoustic is as easy for me to play the way I do on electrics. You prefer to pick up an acoustic and play for hours, I prefer to pick up an electric and play for hours. It's all personal preference; I fail to see any validity to the statement you made. You're acoustic-oriented, some people are electric-oriented. Your inability to get your amp dialed in for home use isn't making the point you think it is. A lot of people don't have that problem.

It's basic physics you can put 9's on an acoustic you can put 13's on an electric the string simply doesnt care what it's attached to to get to 82.5hz it will be under exactly the same tension no matter what it's attached to.

So I come back to you a parlour guitar with a 22" scale strung with 10's is easier to play than an electric baritone strung with 20's, anyone can point to the extremes to support their position.

My acoustic with its light 10 strings and low action is far easier to play than a strat set up SRV style high action with heavy 13's no contest.

For someone who by his own admission 'never got into acoustics' I don't understand why you keep defending a position you claim you have little experience of so vehemently.

He's not my cup of tea but check out Michael Hedges he's the Vai/EVH of acoustic and shows its not the cheesewire type instrument all those of you think that it is.

I've shared my thoughts and elaborated why I hold them, I'd love to let it go as it's boring now but someone's like a dog with a bone

Comment

Originally posted by regan View Post
                      I'd love to let it go as it's boring now but someone's like a dog with a bone

So drop your bone.

Comment

Can you pick up a used Mexi Strat or Tele for that much?

Comment

My brother and I bought a cheapo Xaviere guitar and bass so we could have something to jam on when we visit relatives on the holidays. My brother travels for work a lot so a travel bass seemed like a no brainer for him.

I bought my Xaviere used on eBay and my brother bought direct from guitarfetish... we couldn't be happier! I'm not sure what the euro exchange would be but Xaviere is something to at least consider. Fast playable necks, good useable action and more than decent electronics.

Agile is great too... lots of good Chinese guitars. I couldn't be more impressed by what's coming out of China these days... and I'm usually a USA only guitar snob. lolz!
                          Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

VERY WELL SAID!!
                            If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

. What are you going to do next, tell him how to dress?
                              He should dress in khakis, and a polo shirt. Tommy Hilfiger.
                              "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                                He should dress in khakis, and a polo shirt. Tommy Hilfiger.

Is that the 'acoustic guy' look?

Comment

Working...
                                X