The Official Green Overdrive Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Official Green Overdrive Thread

MXR Classic OD! (AKA the MXR "GT-OD" - it is literally the same pcb in a different enclosure.)

This thing is AWESOME. I have owned it a couple months so it is past the honeymoon phase and if it died tomorrow I would get another one asap.

It does everything a Tube Screamer is supposed to do with plenty of volume on tap but sounds throaty and full rather than thin and nasally and it is true bypass. (I do not like buffers.) Great range on the tone knob. And...dirt cheap! The Big Chain music stores they were made for blew them out for $29 or $39 toward the end so they sell for $30-40 used all day long. I have the pearl white version.
    Inside is a hidden switch that turns it into the Zack Wilde OD (again, same pcb but different enclosure) which is basically an SD-1 without the buffers. Best. TS. Ever.

Disclaimer: I have not tried the Duncan 805 so I am willing to amend that to "Best TS for under a hundy"

Comment

3 years later, and I still reach for my 805 whenever I even think about using any of my TS pedals (TS5, TS7, Bad Monkey, BYOC Overdrive II).
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

So many Green style OD's.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
          MXR Classic OD! (AKA the MXR "GT-OD" - it is literally the same pcb in a different enclosure.)

This thing is AWESOME. I have owned it a couple months so it is past the honeymoon phase and if it died tomorrow I would get another one asap.

It does everything a Tube Screamer is supposed to do with plenty of volume on tap but sounds throaty and full rather than thin and nasally and it is true bypass. (I do not like buffers.) Great range on the tone knob. And...dirt cheap! The Big Chain music stores they were made for blew them out for $29 or $39 toward the end so they sell for $30-40 used all day long. I have the pearl white version.
          Inside is a hidden switch that turns it into the Zack Wilde OD (again, same pcb but different enclosure) which is basically an SD-1 without the buffers. Best. TS. Ever.

Disclaimer: I have not tried the Duncan 805 so I am willing to amend that to "Best TS for under a hundy"
          Is that the one you got from me Dave? If so I just could not gel with it. Low end just muddied up for me, no matter how I set the pedal. Could of been the combo of my amp and guitar, not sure. Upper mids to highs sounded good but the lows and lower mids, just didnt work.

Very happy its working for you and getting the love it deserves.
          1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
          Jackson Soloist 7 string
          ESP LTD M-400
          Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

I think Im mildly psychotic about pedals here lately, along with asking about green pedal options, Ive asked about fuzz pedals and chorus pedals and still cant decide which to get.
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
              Is that the one you got from me Dave? If so I just could not gel with it. Low end just muddied up for me, no matter how I set the pedal. Could of been the combo of my amp and guitar, not sure. Upper mids to highs sounded good but the lows and lower mids, just didnt work.

Very happy its working for you and getting the love it deserves.
              Yes it is! I LOVE that thing. With my amp it sounds great. I did put a piece of masking tape over that d*mn blue LED though - that thing was blinding.

Comment

Awesome, glad it worked out for you. Yes that blue light is rather bright. Have a couple other MXR pedals that are the same way
                Jackson Soloist 7 string
                ESP LTD M-400

Comment

I like my Bad Monkey, but I do wish it had more of a mid snarl. Nice to have low and high controls.

Comment

I picked up a Way Huge Green Rhino mkIV recently. The mkIV has a switch to bypass the extra bass and mids knobs so you get the standard tube screamer sound. Feels like it has a just a hair more gain on tap than a standard TS9. I'm pretty much just a bedroom player now, so the extra bass and mid controls are nice for getting a beefier sound around the house. Maybe I'd like the standard bass cut and mid hump if I were playing somewhere live.
                    "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Re: The Official Green Overdrive Thread

Keep the reviews on those Green-style OD's coming! I know there are more and more all the time!!!!!
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
                        Those “issues” are features.
                        Yeah, I get it, but if you want slightly less mids, you can't get that with a single tone control.

Comment

Doesn't look like mine has been mentioned yet. DigiTech Hardwire series CM2 Tube Overdrive. You can hear the Bad Monkey lineage, but the Hardwire's tone is a bit thicker, more mids and a little more bass. It also has a two position switch that increases gain and adds hair in the "modified" setting, so it's very flexible, takes you from light drive clear into grunge. I paired it with Hardwire's Valve Distortion "Marshall in a box" for a Jekyll and Hyde type setup, very happy with it.

Only problem is my new Bassbreaker 30R has a pretty serious gain channel, so I find myself going to the footswitch instead of the green or orange boxes for gain. The boxes are still useful to push the amp or to create a different voicing than what the amp can do (very British mid-forward tone with those EL84s), I just need to sit down and figure out a gain structure that makes sense.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by Liko; 04-17-2020, 11:33 AM.

Comment

BTW, a Bad Monkey can sound thicker if you use the 'mixer out' instead.

Comment

I use the EHX East River Drive. It's more of a 808 style. It's tight and gives enough kick in the face for my Marshalls to get all brootz! Plus it's way cheaper than the Ibanez or maxons.

I need to buy another ts style OD for my studio rig.....
                              Last edited by 80's_Metal; 03-23-2020, 08:17 AM.
                              Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Right now . . . this one works for me :

Click image for larger version

Name:	MXR GT-OD small net image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	5818767
                                Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Comment

Working...
                                X