X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Official Green Overdrive Thread

Originally posted by regan View Post
    I got a yellow boss sd-1, I'm feelin' all left out
    That's better than the DS-1 I've got. Trade ya.

Comment

Originally posted by NotCardio View Post
      That's better than the DS-1 I've got. Trade ya.
      No thanks the SD-1's a secret weapon and boss's best bang for buck pedal (disclaimer IMHO)

Comment

I've tried a number of tubescreamers and clones over the years, and kept on turning-over - selling and buying - for curiosity's sake. Not that I have a discriminating ear; just wanted to see what was different between a plain-jane TS and clones.

Currently have the following, and have finally decided to whittle these down within the next 3 months to a pair I want to keep:

- Arion Tubulator: very low gain, plastic casing, weak pots
        - MI Effects Super Blues Pro: swiss knife of tubescreamers; offers too many options including a slight fuzz
        - Ibanez TS Mini: small footprint is great
        - VS Route 808: offers more gain than a standard 808; plus a bass boost; oversized casing
        - VS VS-XO: more tweakable than the Route 808; including a clean boost/blend; added bass boost settings; and 3 clipping options, the middle one of which sounds like the Route 808

I'm wishing I had one with a mids eq knob like the SD 805, but I think it's about time I choose and settle down with 1-2 of the above. Probably the VS-XO because of its flexibility, and the TS Mini because of its size.

I've gone thru some others: TS 808 RI, Maxon OD-808, Boss SD-1, MI Audio Blues Pro, Bad Monkey, FD2 Mosfet 10th Anniversary, TS-5, MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe, Mooer Green Mile, Joyo Vintage Od, BYOC OD-2. In all honesty and to my hearing, one would be as good as the other in a band mix. Only the FD2's uncompressed and FM settings stood out as anything above the norm.
        Last edited by vegetablejoe; 03-28-2016, 07:07 PM.

Comment

I hate to sound like a broken record because I have been droning on about this pedal. I get a great Tube Screamer sound with my Dirt Clod. This is the first time I have used anything that mimics a green box and it is pretty cool. It is great for a bit of bump on the JCM 2000 CLASSIC channel. However, I do like the option to switch over to a diode to ground cuircut when I want more grind out of my gain. The TS sound wouldn't be my first choice but it is nice to have it as an option.

Comment

I have a TS7, and a Bad Monkey (I plug the amp into the mixer output). But my favorite is the 805. It has more gain range than the typical TS pedal, with 3 band active EQ. It solves the 'missing' bass problem and 'too many mids' issues with normal TS-type pedals.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by regan View Post
              No thanks the SD-1's a secret weapon and boss's best bang for buck pedal (disclaimer IMHO)
              Still in the Honeymoon Phase w/mine,as well.
              "Scalloped & Stickered"
              A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

I've owned a lot of OD pedals over the years, and many just to have "definitive classics" so I can gauge everything else off of them.

First of all, when people say "tube screamer variants" they're automatically talking about something that is no longer a Tube Screamer circuit. Anytime you change components in a classic circuit, it ceases to be that circuit.
                I guess "variant" is a fair way to describe a modified version of an original, but in reality it becomes another pedal, for better or worse. For example....when you gain one thing, you lose another, such as a bigger bottom end may pull away some of the flutey mids that the original had. More gain may equal a thinner sound with more compression, and visa versa.

Some of the TS inspired pedals I've had were Fulltone FDII orange #14, and one pedal I kick myself for selling.
                I also had an early blue FDII and the cream Custom Shop version. I still think the first and second revision of the orange FDII was one of the best TS type pedals I've ever heard.

HBE Power Screamer.....another really fat and dynamic TS. T Rex Alberta, another nice one. Then, onto the T Rex Moller, a dual mode, which had more control over the clean/dist mix, as well as a neutral clean boost button, but the TS side just didn't sound open enough....kinda flat.

The Way Huge Green Rhino may technically be a variant, but it sounds like a completely different circuit to me.
                It's got fat bloated lows, has big low mid emphasis, and buttery highs......a great pedal, but doesn't have the high mid character of a real TS. My newest pedal is a variant of the Green Rhino....the WH Overrated Special.
                It's sort of a bolder punchier and open sounding Green Rhino, making it yet another pedal altogether. Love it though.

In the end, I decided that I like Tube Screamers for single coils going into Fender amps. For humbuckers into Marshalls, I stick with pedals that are MXR Classic OD/Boss SD-1 types. My new Overrated Special is killer into Marshalls, as is my Barber LTD. I no longer plug any Tube Screamer into gainy Marshalls.....clean Fenders only.

Overall, after owning an original TS-9, original TS808, and reissue TS808.....plus all the above, I decided that I wanted one true Ibanez Tube Screamer for when I want that EXACT sound, and as a reference point to all those variants that claim to be better. I got my hands on a TS808HW, the one with an actual PtoP turret board inside and mil-spec components and soldering. It's essentially a TS808 with maximum headroom and openness in it's sound. It's actually something that's easier to feel than to hear, just as with many quality made items.

Original orange Fulldrive 2 (no pullup comp cut, no switches) Why did I sell it???
                Last edited by Gearjoneser; 03-28-2016, 03:45 PM.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                  I've owned a lot of OD pedals over the years

Comment

My user name was actually a nickname given to me by other musicians. LOL

Comment

Ive got a regular Tube Screamer and a Green Rhino
                      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Put them in an A/B test, and you'll see they're nothing like each other, even though the GR is supposed to be a TS variant.

That's the one point I want to make in this thread. If it's not the exact Ibanez TS, you don't have a Tube Screamer. You have another pedal. I've heard enough pedals to know this is a fact.

Comment

I've got a TS9, but someone stuck it in this amp & I can't figure out how to get it out??? I keep pulling & pulling but nothing! Maybe I should try spitting on it first??? Lol!!! The TSA's are great amps, I absolutely love mine and I'll run it into the ground before I'd sell it but the actual Tube Screamer circuit inside kinda sucks??? It's nothing like any of the pedals IMHO.....

The only other Green Machine I've got is my Maxon 808 and its been the only one I've ever needed. I've got a dozen or so different Klon type O.D.'s & that's the kind of O.D. I typically gravitate towards but when I do need a little TS flavor that's what I grab & like its was mentioned before it's normally when I'm running S.C.'s into one of my Fenders or the TSA15 which is actually quite Fender-esq in nature? Actually if it had reverb onboard I bet nobody could tell the difference between it & a Blackface. I run a Polara through the loop set with the level around 4 & always on, on the spring setting its quite easy to fool yourself....
                          I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

I have a reissue TS808 from about 2006 or so. It was one of my first pedals, and it's definitely the one that's stuck around the longest, and been used the most. In fact, a while ago I was trying to get away from it and use something else, but when I came back to it I wondered what made me ever take it off my board in the first place. It doesn't get too gainy at the max drive setting, or too clean at the minimum, which can be a good or bad thing depending on your tastes. The low end isn't completely cut out like some other TS types do it seems, so if you want super tight bass for the chugs and the djent, something else might be a little better.

I have used the MXR Zakk Wylde OD as well (which I think is basically a modded SD-1, which itself is a variant on the TS circuit). It was a great pedal, and would be my number 2 choice. It has a very large gain range, and is perfectly tuned IMO for being a boost before a dirty amp for metal. The bass stays tight, and the mids aren't pushed too hard. You can run it very clean or make it clip really hard, and give even a moderately driven amp a really chunky, aggressive distortion.

I also have a Boss SD-1 with a C6 mod or something like that, and it's ok. The mids are more pushed than the MXR, and has less gain on tap. It has more bass cut than the TS808, but the overall tone just isn't as pleasing. It's like overdrive for the sake of overdrive.

That's my TS experience.
                            Originally posted by Rockstar216
                            Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

I like TS-808 based circuit of the older Visual Sound pedals, especially the V2 series version found in duplicate in the Double Trouble, the Jeckyl side of the V2 version of the Jeckyl and Hyde or the OD side of the V2 Route 66 (which can be found as a standalone version called the Route 808).

It's got a bass boost, a ton more output than the original (and most 808 clones) and I just like the mid bump of it. The newer Truetone versions of the above mentioned pedals have a different circuit but the TS style mid bump can still be dialled in from what the guys at the company have told me.

Comment

Analog man silver mod TS-9

Used mostly as a boost.

I have a King of Tone on my main board. I love that pedal but there's a "something" that the modded TS-9 has that it doesn't have. To the point that I may go back to the TS-9.... The TS-9 is just a little bit angrier...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X