The Official Green Overdrive Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Official Green Overdrive Thread

I have a 1980 UE-300, the original TS in one chassis with a compressor & stereo chorus. Sounds great and was my only drive (other than the amp's lead channel) for years. Put an MXR knob with a rubber cap on it so I could adjust the Drive knob on the fly with my foot. Still love the thing and use it occasionally for recordings but it's bulky & requires AC so I got a Maxon OD808 that'd fit in a guitar case for grab-and-go occasions. The Maxon has a very similar feel. I think it might be a tiny bit less open than the original and perhaps ever-so-sightly grainier, but it's distinctively TS-like. To be honest I've never A/B'd them at volume.

I also have a VFE Pale Horse that I really like. It has more tweakability, with bass & treble controls located at different places in the circuit, and a cool Comp knob that can alter the character substantially. I'd agree that this one is definitely a variant, rather than a purist's TS. But it still has a certain familiarity and it's very flexible. For me it has pretty much taken the place of the Maxon.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Almost three years after the last post on this, the "Official" Green Overdrive thread I posted a thread on my dead Maxon OD-808. I had not thought to search for the term "Green Overdrive". Someone posted a link back to this thread, and said that everything posted on it should have been put here. Possibly so.

So here is a link, I'm linking to my own post on the thread that includes pictures of 16 different current production Green Overdrives by Maxon and Ibanez, along with the prices, catalog numbers and brief descriptions. For the team. For posterity. Because it's the right thing to do.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...=1#post4298629

PS: Which came first, the Maxon OD-808 or the Ibanez TS-9?

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Comment

Originally posted by dr0 View Post
        PS: Which came first, the Maxon OD-808 or the Ibanez TS-9?
        The answer to that depends on what you mean by "Maxon OD-808". If you're talking about the one located at the top-left of the picture in the other thread, the TS-9 beat it by about 20 years. If you mean the original TS-808 which was made by Maxon, then it (1979/1980) preceded the TS-9 (1981) by roughly 2 years.
        Last edited by dystrust; 02-01-2019, 08:37 PM. Reason: Clarifying
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I have the TSDX-9 Turbo Tube Screamer. I like it. I had the TS-5 but my dog chewed it beyond repair. Speaking of rare Tube Screamers, has anyone ever played with the Super Tube Screamer? There is a Maxon ST9Pro+ that looks like it, but is it the same besides the switch?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ibanez-st9-super-tube-screamer-19426.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	5812822 Click image for larger version

Name:	maxon.JPG
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	5812823

Comment

NEVER heard of the Super TS!

And again - not intended to be an "Ibanez" thread - any screamer styles: Bad Monkey, Green Rhino, etc....

But wow - that's cool!
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              NEVER heard of the Super TS!

And again - not intended to be an "Ibanez" thread - any screamer styles: Bad Monkey, Green Rhino, etc....

But wow - that's cool!
              I've read it was ultra rare edition and sold in Japan and some parts of Europe. I have to check the Guitarist magazine, but if I don't remember it wrong Gary Moore used it sometime in the eighties.

Hey people at Ibanez why don't you reissue this instead of all the Basic Tube Screamer in different packages?

Comment

Mine is a Ibanrez TS-808 RI (and I use it often).

But is the metallic green MXR GT-OD (and its Berserk brother) is related to the TS family ?
                Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

I check it and yes Gary Moore did use a Super Tube Screamer. (Source: the Guitarist Magazine in which they had a long article about his gear)

Click image for larger version

Name:	moore.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	5812847

Comment

I have a TS-7 and a Bad Monkey (I use the mixer output into an amp). But my favorite is still the 805.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I tried a BBE Green Screamer because it was dirt cheap, mint, and online reviews said it was a really good Tube Screamer but with true bypass.
                      It sounded horrible with my amp: thin, nasal, and weak. I flipped it almost immediately.

I replaced that with an "Aeon Drive" that a guy had built from GuitarPCB.com. That thing was awesome! But it is "TS related," not a straight-up TS pedal. And the builder had changed some of the component values, and I then modded it even more. I assume this means a stock TS is not for me but I've never tried an actual Ibanez Tube Screamer so who knows?
                      Last edited by Dave Locher; 02-11-2019, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Maxon od820
                        Homebrew doomsday device (a cranked Power screamer)
                        T-Rex Alberta

I used to have:
                        Ibanez TS-7
                        Maxon OD808
                        Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                        http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Green Rhino 4-Eva
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Lovepedal Valve Reamer kicks serious ass. It's a hybrid between the TS and the Boss SD9. My new favorite TS variant.
                            It has replaced the Pale Horse which replaced the Maxon 808 that had succeeded my old original from 1980.
                            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Lovegun View Post
                              Hey people at Ibanez why don't you reissue this instead of all the Basic Tube Screamer in different packages?
                              Well, honestly, just like the 535Q Wah, no reason to buy anything besides an Ibanez TS9DX - it's all the TS you need and a lot more.

But these days, Blues Lawyers, booteek pedals, etc, and the ultra low end market...You can re-issue, increase prices, and make a lot of money.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I've had a Maxon OD-9 since roughly 2004 and it's definitely my favorite of the TS variants I've tried. It worked great as a boost with my 2555 for years, even if it wasn't exactly the tone I was looking for. That changed once my Studio Jubilee became my #1 amp; suddenly the TS was too bright and thin. My primary boost these days is a Wampler Tumnus, and it's pretty much the tone I was looking for all of those years with the 2555. The OD9 has found a second lease on life on my mini board set up for my Lead 12 Mini Stack. I leave the Lead 12 on the edge of breakup and slam the front end with the TS to push it well into JCM800 territory. As an added bonus the low cut of the TS takes care of the excessive, muddy low end inherent in the Lead 12.
                                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                                X