$2000 Budget for Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: $2000 Budget for Amp

See if you can find a used or modded Jet City Picovalve. The 2 watt setting sounds good in the room and it won't wake the wife on the other side of the house. This being through a closed back 1X12 cab with an Eminence C-Rex in it. The 5 watt setting will keep up with a drummer and bass in a small room. And it will take any octal based power tube you can find.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockbly View Post
      I have a $2000 tax return and I am being irresponsible and blowing it on an amp. It could be a Head or a Combo....
      It will be very hard to find an answer in such a forum like here because it is purely a matter of taste and anybody who answers is just describing his own taste.

There are plenty of modern low wattage tube amps that can sound great even on room talking volume. Peavey mini head amps for example have fantastically sounding built-in attenuators (down to 1W), or you can get an A class 5W Laney Lionheart either as head or as a combo, with an 0.5W output... a really beautiful tube amp fat blues rock sound. Wouldn't be that good for jazz, though.
      Mesa mini rectifier can offer you pretty any sound you could ever need, but it needs an attenuator at home.

Otherwise buy just any amp you like and use a good attenuator.
      Last edited by 6p5p; 04-09-2016, 02:06 AM.

Comment

I could tell you but why would I tell you what my dream amplifier is?

Comment

Get the guaranteed best price on Tube Guitar Amplifier Heads like the Randall Ola Englund Signature Satan 120W Tube Guitar Head at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of...

$1996.00 Randall Ola Englund Signature Satan 120W Tube Guitar Head
          Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Express 550 plus head or combo. 5-25-50 watts. Clean, Crunch, Blues and Burn modes.

Practice guitar for hours each day. Do that for years on end and one day you will make it look so easy that people who have never done any of that will say that you were blessed with talent.

Comment

Originally posted by 6p5p View Post
              Mesa mini rectifier can offer you pretty any sound you could ever need, but it needs an attenuator at home.
              I was checking out a mini Rectoverb a few days ago in hopes that the volume would be more manageable than my 100W Marshall Jubilee. I'm a bit disappointed to say, "Not really". On the 25W setting that amp is LOUD. I was more than a little surprised at how little the volume differed between them; at the point I'll probably just stick with the amp I have.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

The amp I've had the most fun with at home (and on the gig) in a long, long time is the Fender Mustang 3 V.2. $320.

Once I got it figured out and set up my own presets and deleted most of the factory presets.

I don't need use a single pedal in front of it or in the effects loop.

The Mustang 3 has them all built right in.
                Last edited by Lewguitar; 04-16-2016, 07:41 AM.
                “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Working...
                X