$2000 Budget for Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: $2000 Budget for Amp

Two amps, that have incredible sound built to last. Traynor Custom special 50 1x12 all tube combo. The other Mack Atomsmasher DB-40.
    If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

$2000 Budget for Amp

65 Amps Tupelo. Or a Celtic Brownface Deluxe. Shameless plug

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

If I ever had the cash (which I don't lol) & wanted a warm fat sweet & pretty unique sounding bluesy amp (which could handle a bit more as well) this is what I'd hunt down:

I'm in love with that tone.. & they are'nt actually all that expensive either (over in Hungary )
        Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 04-08-2016, 04:51 AM.
        "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Almost nothing sounds good at true "talking level" – not even an old Vibro Champ.

Based on everything in your description other than the taking level thing, I'd say get an antique (i.e. "real vintage") blackface Princeton Reverb. It's a very versatile amp, nothing can touch it for tonal quality, and it will do nothing but appreciate in value.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

If it was me I would wait on the new Marshall Silver Jubilee mini head and try it first. Jubs are awesome for blues-blues/rock and this new amp can be set up for 20 watts or only 5 watts and they have master volumes.

On edit: EL34s instead of EL84s or 6V6s too.
            Last edited by Lake Placid Blues; 04-08-2016, 08:05 AM.

Comment

OH OH OH!!!!

Hand wired fender champ!!!!!

You can still put $1200 in the bank!!!

I LOVE my champ. All 5 watts will kill a grown man at 30 paces.

Try one first. It takes pedals VERY well and you won't even know it's there.
              For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                45w is a lot for playing at home. honestly i havent played the fryette stuff but i wasnt under the impression they were known for their blues, blues/rock tones
                Steve's amps are Swiss army knives. The Pittbull 45 is perfect for Blues and Blues rock. Check out the Memphis 30 if you get bored. That amp kills at the lower gained tones.

Comment

I'd like to throw a recommendation for the Bogner Atma out. Great sounding amp, does blues, blues rock, rock and more very well. Power scales down from 18w to 5w to 1W and still sounds great on the lower wattage settings.
                  sigpic
                  Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister 36, if you want versatility. Under you budget, and with what's left you can invest on a MIDI pedalboard, either the same brand, or some other thing....
                    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Friedman Mini Dirty Shirley... YOU NEED ONE!!! It's a blues/rock MACHINE! And the best lunch box I've ever played (and that's a lot). You won't do better than it for low wattage blues/rock. Trust me.

Last edited by Red_Label; 04-08-2016, 03:18 PM.
                      "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                        Almost nothing sounds good at true "talking level" – not even an old Vibro Champ.

Based on everything in your description other than the taking level thing, I'd say get an antique (i.e. "real vintage") blackface Princeton Reverb. It's a very versatile amp, nothing can touch it for tonal quality, and it will do nothing but appreciate in value.
                        I disagree. A lot of these master volume small tube amps sound great at lower volumes. Bogner, Friedman, and Hughes & Kettner make some great sounding low-wattage tube amps with rock tones in them.
                        "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

Comment

Btw... I have to throw out an honorable mention for the Tone King Royalist 15. Next to the Friedman Mini Shirley... it's the best low wattage rock/blues amp I've ever played.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
                            Btw... I have to throw out an honorable mention for the Tone King Royalist 15. Next to the Friedman Mini Shirley... it's the best low wattage rock/blues amp I've ever played.
                            I need to check out the Tone King Royalist 15. I've loved every Tone King amp I've ever plugged into.
                            404 Not Found - Boutique Guitar Amplifiers, Guitars, Pedals, Two-Rock, Carr Amps, Dr. Z, Suhr, Nash, Fender Custom Shop, Mesa Boogie, Swart, Victoria, Vintage Sound, No...

EDIT - I just discovered the new Tone King Sky King. Now that is a great blues/bluesrock amp!!

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 04-08-2016, 05:05 PM.
                            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
                              I disagree. A lot of these master volume small tube amps sound great at lower volumes. Bogner, Friedman, and Hughes & Kettner make some great sounding low-wattage tube amps with rock tones in them.
                              I agree that there are decent sounding low volume amps. Just not "talking volume." To me, talking volume means very close to silent.
                              Originally posted by LesStrat
                              Yogi Berra was correct.
                              Originally posted by JOLLY
                              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

For sitting around, playing in your living room, nothing will beat a 1959 Marshall Super Lead full stack, with all the knobs dimed
                                Last edited by Hot Octopus; 04-08-2016, 05:35 PM.
                                18 Guitars and counting

The captain of sexy!

Comment

Working...
                                X