banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your favorite pickups in a semi-hollow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are your favorite pickups in a semi-hollow?

^^ p90/humbucker setups are often ignored or underrated. I fell in love with the middle position looonngg ago. You can dial in a great "chirp" with a vol./tone for each p'up. Still sound good with a master vol/tone. I'm using a p90/humbucker on my jazzcaster. Love it.

Yo, that rig tho! Nice build too. I'm over here drooling haha.

Comment

Great suggestions and sweet guitars guys!

I don't know how I didn't think of Seth's, but those seem like they'd fit perfectly! I'll look into those. I also saw a lot of mentions of set I had already been considering, such as the PG, A2/Slash, and the BB Pro. I even already have a BB Pro set and some extra magnets so I will definitely be experimenting with those, although I think the neck pickup might not work as well as the bridge, based on how I liked them in other guitars.

What instances do you guys reach for your semi-hollows over other guitars? Playing through my songs, I can only find a couple tunes that the tone really suits it. The cool thing is I find myself writing and playing new stuff that does fit it well.
      Originally posted by Rockstar216
      Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

I'd go with Alnico 2 Seth Lovers or Antiquitys.

335's just look "right" with pickups with covers.

Larry Carlton's famous 335 would have Alnico 5 pickups though.

Sure sounds amazing.

So covered Duncan 59's are worth considering. Would be nice if they were offered with Unoriented Alnico 5.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
          How's the low end in the neck slot? I had a '59N in a Sheraton that was pretty bassy/boomy. I know they don't always do that, but it does happen occasionally. A common solution being an A4 or A3; I made mine into a hybrid with a '59B coil, and that thinned out the tone.
          I love that bassy boomy sound. I have Gibson BB King signature strings (10-54s) on it to help get that bassy sound. For me it is exactly what I'm looking for out of the ES-335.

Comment

Originally posted by leevc5 View Post
            I love that bassy boomy sound. I have Gibson BB King signature strings (10-54s) on it to help get that bassy sound. For me it is exactly what I'm looking for out of the ES-335.
            Wow those are even bigger than what I use for drop C#. Did BB tune down? Or did he just like big meaty strings that fought back?
            Originally posted by Rockstar216
            Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

I would only consider the Seths in a Dot. They really sound that good. If it was a strat-sized, or 339-sized smaller semi-hollow, it might be different, but for full 335-sized ones (or 175-sized hollows), the Seths are the ones I'd pick every time.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

SD 59s in my ES-335.
                I have a '59 set in my 335 as well.

How's the low end in the neck slot? I had a '59N in a Sheraton that was pretty bassy/boomy. I know they don't always do that, but it does happen occasionally. A common solution being an A4 or A3; I made mine into a hybrid with a '59B coil, and that thinned out the tone.
                The low end was a little boomy right after install, but a pickup height tweak took care of that. Now the '59n has a full low-end paired with a nice chime on top; it also balances great with the '59b.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Nacho8807 View Post
                  Wow those are even bigger than what I use for drop C#. Did BB tune down? Or did he just like big meaty strings that fought back?

BB King wasn't one for 'big meaty strings that fought back.' He told Billy Gibbons decades ago that he used 8's (a story he recently told on Live at Daryl's House).
                  "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                  "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                  "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

BB King wasn't one for 'big meaty strings that fought back.' He told Billy Gibbons decades ago that he used 8's (a story he recently told on Live at Daryl's House).
                    This was his standard set up although at times it is true he did use 8's but still 54s for the bass E
                    BB King Gibson ES-355 thinline semi Lucille 010 .013 .017p .032w .045w .054w

Comment

This was his standard set up although at times it is true he did use 8's but still 54s for the bass E
                      BB King Gibson ES-355 thinline semi Lucille 010 .013 .017p .032w .045w .054w

I don't think Gibson could have gotten away with putting 8's on Lucille's. Most guys that bought them probably prefer 10's.
                      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I only have one semi hollow, a sheraton with fralin p92s in it, and they sound awesome.
                        Quality riffs in about a minute...
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

No matter what pickups you use (my fave set are BK Stormy Mondays). Be sure to use the right hardware. Semis have more attack than soilds. If you like are more woody sound, use a heavier tailpiece (brass or zinc not alu) with steel studs. i like nylon or graphite saddles over brass or steel. the creamtone bonamassa bridge seems to be a shot in the right direction.
                          I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I play the Semi on:

Talk Dirty to Me by Poison
                            Bathroom Wall by Faster Pussycat
                            Cold Blood by Kix

Intro for JB rhythm tone
                            2:20 for Rock Star moves…

Last edited by Aceman; 04-28-2016, 08:05 PM.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I settled with A2Pro bridge and Jazz neck in my Dot after using '59 set and A2Pro set.

Comment

Awesome, let us know how it turns out!
                                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                                X