treble bleed and Suhr HSS switching: opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• treble bleed and Suhr HSS switching: opinions

Gents, looking at both of these mods for upcoming guitar renovations. My question: I've heard that both of these mods have a tendency to make pickups sound more harsh or brittle. What are your thoughts?

Re: treble bleed and Suhr HSS switching: opinions

What's the HSS switching?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      What's the HSS switching?
      This is a pretty good representation of the Suhr HSS switching:

Click image for larger version

Name:	suhr_hss_pickup_wiring.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	5792844

The idea is, it uses caps and resistors to make single coils and humbuckers "see" pots appropriate to the type of pickups; humbuckers "see" 500k and single coils "see" 250k. Additionally, I think there's a treble bleed also in there.

Comment

Nothing?

Comment

I don't know about the HSS resistor switching, but treble bleeds can sound harsh & brittle with volume rolled down. It sounds like a treble range that's immune to the volume knob; ie there's always this loud high end sitting on top of whatever the rest of the pickup(s) are doing. I don't like treble bleed circuits because it's a giant PITA to tune one NOT to do that.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
          X