banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to buy a guitar and upgrade it, need some tips.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to buy a guitar and upgrade it, need some tips.

Alright, so I've kinda decided what my next electric guitar is going to be. I was originally going to buy the Ibaney RG421EX which costs 370 euros but then I looked closely at its specs and compared it to the GRG121DX ( 220 euros ).

So the idea is, I'm going to buy the GRG121DX and upgrade it up to ~370. Here's what I'm thinking of buying

Same price, better parts. I also have a pair of EMG HZ from my Cort guitar which sound great, but I haven't played it for a while because it's a V and I prefer to play while sitting ( I can, but I just don't like it ).

What else would you upgrade? I can go up to 400.

Re: Want to buy a guitar and upgrade it, need some tips.

Ich antworte mal schnell auf Deutsch...
    Eine Gitarre für Einsteiger neu zu kaufen, um sie dann gleich aufzurüsten, ist finanziell völlig unsinnig. Die Basis bleibt mäßig, es wird nicht die “Gitarre für‘s Leben“ sein, und der Wiederverkaufswert solcher gepimpten Gitarren ist unterirdisch. In dem Preisrahmen kriegst du schon sehr hochwertige gebrauchte Gitarren, wenn du Modelle wählst, die nicht von Sammlern gehyped werden.

Comment

You might want to put in new pots or change up the resistors depending on what is inside the guitar.
      Beginning Guitarist with Custom Building Streak a Mile Long!
      Songs I wish I could play!

Comment

Originally posted by roseblood11 View Post
        Ich antworte mal schnell auf Deutsch...
        Eine Gitarre für Einsteiger neu zu kaufen, um sie dann gleich aufzurüsten, ist finanziell völlig unsinnig. Die Basis bleibt mäßig, es wird nicht die “Gitarre für‘s Leben“ sein, und der Wiederverkaufswert solcher gepimpten Gitarren ist unterirdisch. In dem Preisrahmen kriegst du schon sehr hochwertige gebrauchte Gitarren, wenn du Modelle wählst, die nicht von Sammlern gehyped werden.
        A quick Google translation for the English speaking among us:

I answer quickly in German ...
        Buying a guitar for newcomers and then upgrading them immediately is financially nonsensical. The base remains modest, it will not be the "guitar for life", and the resale value of such pimped guitars is underground. In the price range you get very high quality used guitars, if you choose models that are not hyped by collectors.

I'd definitely look into used models, older Ibanez don't hold their value nearly as well as some of the new ones, so you can buy one for cheap now and won't lose too much money later if you chose to sell it.

For a guitar like that, I'd say your best investment is in doing less reversible mods, such as getting quality frets
        (which are probably the single most important part of a guitar acoustically) and getting it set up if you don't know how to do it yourself. You probably won't need to worry about a whole new bridge if you can find a decent set of quality saddles. You might not need new tuners as well, depending on the individual guitar. You might just need to file the nut, replace it, or you might not need to do anything to it. But on the other hand, you might need a new nut and tuners.

Then there's the ever important pickups and electronics, if you aren't happy with them of course. But even if you do all of this you will very rarely make a cheap guitar magic. But it can be done.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Nothing wrong with practicing your skills on something cheap. Just don't spend a whole lot of money upgrading it. Really, maybe the best thing would be to take a cheap, functioning guitar apart and then put it back together again. Do it a few times. That way, if you find a moderatly priced decent guitar, like an older Ibanez, Epiphone etc. you won't feel entirely uncomfortable with making upgrades. The main things separating a $500 ax from a $1000 one tend to be the pickups, wiring and maybe the hardware.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

I think by now (18months later) he's probably made his decision.

Comment

The only rationale for buying a cheapo and invest a fortune for quality spare parts is if you're really low on budget at the moment and the shop does not sell in rates (and thomann is such a shop, unfortunately). I am no expert in IBanez guitars but I would join other guys in suggesting to buy a used medium-priced instrument. Jackson offers very decent models in X series (you may find something under 500 euros), good craftmanship and impressive pickups. One can of course upgrade them in the future but there's no real need.

Comment

That's a nice looking guitar and I'm surprised it has a fixed bridge. I thought they all had Floyd Roses. Anyways that upgraded bridge should be better. I never heard of the EMG HZ. Back when I was thinking of using active pickups I listened to clips of EMG 81s and 85s and the SD livewires. The livewires sounded better.

I disagree with roseblood11 unless you are a millionaire. You can make an inexpensive guitar sound very good just through modifications.

Yes expensive guitars sound great from the factory without modifications.

Comment

Working...
                X