Boss GT-100, anyone using one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boss GT-100, anyone using one?

I had a GT-10 for ages and had to use a separate unit for distortion. I do use quite a lot of gain though. As far as I'm concerned the last multi unit they did with decent amps and distortions was the GX700 and then they seemed to get progressively worse. Maybe the GT100 is an improvement? That would be typical, seeing as I ended up buying an Axe FX.

Maybe I'm too picky. The other effects are - as one would expect from Roland - pretty good.

Comment

I think the models are a step up from the GT10 on the GT100, but I admit I didn't spend a lot of time digging into the models on the 10.

Comment

Well, it's about time they sorted it! In my opinion it's good to have everything in one box for live stuff. I do use a lot of strange and complex signal chains though.

Comment

It seems like a great box! They are likely to produce an updated model soon (gt200?) I think because this was released in 2012 AFAIK. I might consider it if I have the cashmunny available and the reviews are good.

Comment

We'll see how far I make it past the honeymoon phase, I had a 10 for a little while and went back to pedals. I really hate programming but am trying to make this work 'cause it's so nice just to carry the one thing.

FWIW, I'm still liking it, although when my ADD kicks in when I'm programming something I look at me pedalboard and go, hmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by Lysergene View Post
              I had a GT-10 for ages and had to use a separate unit for distortion. I do use quite a lot of gain though. As far as I'm concerned the last multi unit they did with decent amps and distortions was the GX700 and then they seemed to get progressively worse. Maybe the GT100 is an improvement? That would be typical, seeing as I ended up buying an Axe FX.

Maybe I'm too picky. The other effects are - as one would expect from Roland - pretty good.
              The OD and Distortion effects on the GT-100 are pretty good. They are not as good as the real thing but pretty close. Much better then the Gt-10 which I owned before the 100.

Comment

Originally posted by geetard View Post
                It seems like a great box! They are likely to produce an updated model soon (gt200?) I think because this was released in 2012 AFAIK. I might consider it if I have the cashmunny available and the reviews are good.
                I really hope so as the GT-100 is a good unit, I prefer a higher quality Effects ONLY processor. Modeling isn't even the GT-100's strong point anyway. I actually think Boss is pretty Horrible in doing so. But they make amazing effects and I think if they put all their effort into a new GT model Waza Craft style and use the GT for guys who have real amps I think they would hit a home run.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                  We'll see how far I make it past the honeymoon phase, I had a 10 for a little while and went back to pedals. I really hate programming but am trying to make this work 'cause it's so nice just to carry the one thing.

FWIW, I'm still liking it, although when my ADD kicks in when I'm programming something I look at me pedalboard and go, hmmm...
                  The way the GT-100 works is awesome. It's is totally worth the time to learn the ins and outs of it. The Manual will get you going but it's so horribly written like most manuals.
                  The 4CM is the ultimate way to use the GT.
                  I've owned the GT-100 for a few years now actually I got mine not long after it came out. And I just learned the correct way to test your guitar input signal so it's not clipping out. That should be a patch factory standard as it made a HUGE difference in how it sounds.
                  There is a few video's on Youtube but this one will work.

Calibrating the input level of any digital multi-effect unit is an important step on starting to get the most out of it. Unfortunately, not many make it clea...

Comment

Hey mantis. What do you mean by "the 4CM mode"?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      Hey mantis. What do you mean by "the 4CM mode"?
                      "MODE" might be the wrong word used but the 4Cm mean 4 cable method. What this wiring does is allow you to use your preamp or your guitar amp and put effects out in front of it like OD pedals, WAH , Chorus if you will, Fuzz etc. Then you can route the effects loops effects like Noise Gates , Delays , Chorus , Reverb etc in your amps effects loop. Then those signals hit your amp.
                      So the routing goes like this.
                      1) Guitar Out to the IN of the GT-100
                      2) SEND from GT-100 to the Front of Your AMP
                      3) SEND from your AMP's effects loop to the RETURN of the GT-100
                      4) OUTPUT of the GT-100 to the RETURN of your AMP's effects loop

In the GT-100 effects chain in order for this to work correctly, you have to turn ON the S/R which is the Send and Return.

AMP CONTROL
                      - There are 2 ways to control your amp
                      1) Mono 1/4 control cable. This will switch your channels of your amp but will not control the 3rd channel or Effects loop or reverb on and off. This is a HUGE flaw of the GT-100 and Boss thinking past their nose. They should have Provided a Stereo out which would allow you to control a 3 channel amp or a 2 channel amp with Reverb or Effects loop on and off. This would greatly improve the value of the GT-100. I'm hoping the next version has this.
                      2) MIDI - The GT-100 is fully Midi. It can make your amp do anything over Midi. Change channels, Turn on and off Reverb , on and off Effects loops etc. This is a fantastic way to control a more modern amp that has MIDI. Then control method #1 doesn't matter IF you have an amp with MIDI.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                        "MODE" might be the wrong word used but the 4Cm mean 4 cable method.
                        As soon as you said that, I knew exactly what you meant. I've just never seen that acronym before, so it didn't "click" in my brain.

Good info, nonetheless.
                        Last edited by ArtieToo; 07-10-2016, 06:48 PM.

Comment

I ran an GT-6 in the 4CM with my Soldano HR50+ back in the day, loved that amp, don't play anywhere I can use anything that loud now.

Mantis, thanks for the video, I'll set up a patch to check levels tonight. I don't think I am clipping anything, digital clipping is really harsh sounding.

FWIW, with some tweaking, I don't think the modeling in the 100 is bad at all, not Axe Fx or Kemper quality, but I wouldn't call them bad. I have been using them into a power amp and speakers though, I haven't been using the cab modeling direct so I can't really comment on that yet.

Comment

Here's what's really cool about this technique. One of the four cables, is the guitar cable. That's separate. There's really only three cables between the "processor" and amp. So, you use old school "monster", or whatever, audio/video cables du-jour. Get some cheap RCA-to-1/4" adapters. For this app, top-end isn't necessary. At the flea-market, they're dime-a-dozen. (I mean the 3-in-1 audio/video cables.)

Comment

I used to make a cable bundle with tie wraps and color coded the ends with colored electrical tape.

Comment

Originally posted by koshikas View Post
                                i totally agree on everythin being said about the GT. setting the output select appropriately is very important. if you are goin direct to mixer console, speaker simulation is important and it is very finicky. something that works for one thing might not work at all for another. you will have to do your share of experimentation. the only thing that I have to add on top of this is that, i have only able to get consistent results goin direct into the mixer only after i introduced Radial JDI.

IMO the only thing that has sucked so far in BOSS GT-series is that they have skipped XLR outputs for so long, which leaves such wide grey area as to how best we can go DI into a mixer.
                                Yes, the output select on the gt6 I owned years ago was very important as to how it affected the units sound quality. If the wrong output mode was selected the sound was a bit "meh" but when the correct mode was selected the gt6 was very good indeed.
                                Time after time I came upon user reviews where people did not use the correct output select mode and were dissatisfied but when they did engage the correct mode were elated as to its performance.

Comment

Working...
                                X