Boss GT-100, anyone using one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boss GT-100, anyone using one?

What would be the multi effect of choice under £1000 for home or studio use?
    I have the Boss me80 at the moment and although the effects are the usual boss quality have a few niggles about it, namely the lack of a good amp model, lack of speaker emulation and its interface (ok if you are plugged in to a computer).
    When I set up a guitar sound I like to start things logically from the beginning, ie; the amp first, then speaker, effects added later.
    With the ME80 the lack of a good amp and cab modeler leave me having to resort to a pedal-form preamp which, to me defeats the object of having an all in one floorboard like the ME80 as I just want to pick up one unit and plug n play.
    I would like a do it all unit with better amp models, cabinet simulation and a slightly better interface, also, i dislike wall-warts.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
      I used to make a cable bundle with tie wraps and color coded the ends with colored electrical tape.
      simple brilliance

Comment

Originally posted by evan47 View Post
        What would be the multi effect of choice under £1000 for home or studio use?
        The Helix LT, Headrush Pedalboard, Amplifire 12, or Fractal AX8 will all do what you want, not sure what the prices are there. BTW, where is there, UK?

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
          The OD and Distortion effects on the GT-100 are pretty good. They are not as good as the real thing but pretty close. Much better then the Gt-10 which I owned before the 100.
          Years ago I had a GT6 and really liked one of the boogie models in particular, the ME80 I just ebayed didnt have any satisfactory amp models although its effects were great so I ended up using a re-valved blackstar ht dual for dirt.
          I have a GT100 on its way to me and am hoping it has an amp model I can bond with, but if not the H Tdual gives great overdrive

Comment

You can run the HT in the loop of the GT, just like using the 4 cable method with a real amp. I use the models in the GT for now, takes some tweaking but there are decent sounds in it. I think the ME-80 uses the same algorithms but the GT does have more choices.
            Last edited by devastone; 10-10-2017, 07:16 AM.

Comment

You can run the HT in the loop of the GT, just like using the 4 cable method with a real amp. I use the models in the GT for now, takes some tweaking but there are decent sounds in it. I think the ME-80 uses the same algorithms but the GT does have more choices.
              Yes. In fact I am thinking of getting a cased pedal board big enough for both the gt100 and blackstar (and velcroing both power supplies to the board). maybe I could add a Seynour Duncan powerstage too.

Comment

The Powerstage or ISP Stealth with a cabinet will probably give you better tone than running into the THR10. You could also use the cab sims and run through a full range powered cabinet.

FYI, it is important to have the output settings correct on the GT-6 (not sure if the ME-80 gave you options), if you are running direct you need to have it set to direct/headphones so it turns on the cab sims, for running to an amp or power amp and cab you the other settings turn off the cab sims.

Comment

The Powerstage or ISP Stealth with a cabinet will probably give you better tone than running into the THR10. You could also use the cab sims and run through a full range powered cabinet.

FYI, it is important to have the output settings correct on the GT-6 (not sure if the ME-80 gave you options), if you are running direct you need to have it set to direct/headphones so it turns on the cab sims, for running to an amp or power amp and cab you the other settings turn off the cab sims.
                  Yes. I owned the GT6 years ago and found that it was crucial to assign the correct output mode in order to get the best sound.
                  I expect the GT100 to behave in the same way.
                  The me80 did not have the output options of the gt6 nor did it have patch naming and its user interface gave less info on parameters which along with its lack of good amp models let it down badly IMO.
                  Last edited by evan47; 10-10-2017, 11:53 AM.

Comment

I've used a GX700 and the entire GT series, except the GT1 and GT001. The GX700 was so much easier to nail the sound I wanted, the GT10 had the most functionality. I feel the GT100 was just a stripped down version of the GT10 with an extra screen and cheesy ACCEL effects. The only thing the GT100 has that appealed to me was the Guitar to MIDI feature, though the amount of latency and tracking was too unstable unless you played the guitar like a keyboard. I didn't like the GR55 either.
                    I don't have a problem with management, management have a problem with me.

Comment

You guys are funny....

Any of those later Boss multi-floorboards has 10x the power of an old 80's rack of Doom

I was happy with my Boss ME-6 and totally sussed some great distortion sounds out of it. As always, I think people get way to caught up in the name of a patch/box/amp sim whatever. Make good sounds! I'm saying if you can't make a good sound with one of those things, it is not be cause the unit is incapable.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Ok, so I just got this thing and so far am not real impressed. It was advertised as having 400 different effects, Actually, it is programmed with the same 200 presets, one set of 200 is labeled P 01 etc, (P = preset), the other set of 200 is the same exact settings but labeled U for user. So you can adjust the User banks and save them, but cant change the presets. That being said, most of the 200 are some minor variation of over-drive, and distortion using a combo of other effects including; reverb, delay, tremelo, and chorus. After cruising through them all, I found them to be almost identical. There are a few setting that add some interesting effects that are synth like sounds. That being said, you can program the pedals to switch effects like a regular pedal for stage use. I have not downloaded the Studio yet, so I am really hoping that when I do, I can download a lot of additional patches that can make this thing trully versatile, but honestly, I don't know why they didn't just pre-program more versatile sounds to save this time. Ok, so, maybe I'm missing something here, but so far I have buyers remorse. I'm open to feedback from you guys, am I missing something?

Comment

Yeah, it sounds like you are missing a lot, you can totally change/rename the user presets, reorder/change the effects and amps in the chain, reprogram the buttons, whatever. Not sure what you mean by "you can adjust the User banks and save them, but cant change the presets".

I ignore the factory presets and build all my own patches, usually starting by building on 2 amps that I can switch between for clean and crunchy sounds, then add the effects I want in that preset. I generally run in manual mode so I set the looper pedal to switch between the 2 amps and usually have to accel/ctl pedal to switch solo mode on and off. I've just scratched the surface of programming depth but I get what I need out of it. The amp models definitely aren't the best available now days, but it isn't that hard to get good usable tones out of it.

Of course you could run in patch mode and have all your effects set up for each patch, run parallel amps, whatever, the progammability of the GT is pretty impressive.

Comment

Hey, thanks Devastone, I have been listening to demos and some guys are getting incredible sounds, I just couldn't figure out how to make the adjustments so I was looking at downloading patches. I've been using the manual to guide me through playing with making my own sounds but not making much headway. Is there a better "user guide" out there?

Comment

Um....beoj....yeah - read the manual.

200 presets that you can keep and 200 spots for user patches (or whatever number) is pretty standard. It sounds like you did way less the amount of homework you should have, and are pretty new to multi fx. Would that be correct?
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Without getting into a lot of detail, make sure the output is set to however you are running it, especially if you are running direct or into headphones. After that, turn everything off and start with just an amp model, just like building a real guitar rig, start with the most important parts and work out from there.

And yes, with the software, you can download patches. Find some you like then dig into them and dissect them to figure out how they are set up.

Comment

Working...
                                X