banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boss OD3 - Totally under rated overdrive pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss OD3 - Totally under rated overdrive pedal?

I have been using a Boss OD3 as my overdrive for years now and I absolutely love it. It is super transparent, so my strat sounds like my strat, it makes my guitar sustain for days, and when I stack it with a distortion pedal, I get a huge fat tone that sounds great. In the overdrive department everyone is always talking about Tube Screamers and Tube Screamer like boutique pedals, but this pedal hardly gets airtime. The Boss DS1 seems to get more attention, but I've ABed them, and in my opinion, the OD3 blasts the SD1 out of the water!

Interested in what other people's experiences have been?

I did a YouTube demo of my OD3 if you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96...evxi3dMuRTxtSw

Re: Boss OD3 - Totally under rated overdrive pedal?

There are at least a few other guys here that share your opinion. I need to try one out.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

STOP IT with these OD-3 threads. I don't need one but dammit I want one.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I didn't know that the OD3 was so popular here

The awesome thing is this pedal is way more affordable than most of the popular pedals at the moment!

As a matter of interest, I like to play into a clean tube amp, I think that's where this pedal really shines. I then run a distortion into the OD3 to boost for leads. Works like a dream!

Comment

Sounds sweet, but I did notice that the parrot left the room before you started playing.

Comment

Every time I've convinced myself I have enough OD pedals... Someone brings up one I don't own yet.

Comment

What a Boss board this is.
              I can think of a million other better pedals without a crappy set of buffers to boot.
              If you're a good player I have no doubt the worst pedal can be used somewhat effectively. What is the deal with low budget stuff all the time is there some sort of problem with a serious quality pedal that might cost a little money?? At least maybe a Waza upgrade over the old style. Boss???
              "A great player can make just about anything sound decent, a poor one can make great gear sound bad.
              You know what they say, 'if you cannot hear the problem, it does not exist, ...for you."

I insist you hate me because I am pretty.

Comment

The Gear Page is the leading online community and marketplace for guitars, amps, pedals, effects and associated gear.

Enjoy.

Comment

Boss makes Gainstage angry.
                  Last edited by Chickenwings; 06-19-2016, 06:00 AM.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I've been saying it for years, Boss makes the overall best pedals on the market.

Comment

The OD3 is one of the best overdrive type pedals Boss has made, i too find it better than the SD1 pedal. It suffered poor marketing i guess but it does sound great, only thing cheap about it is the price. Soundwise it reminds me of the Nobel's odr1 a bit, plus a bit transparent behavior like the Timmy.

Comment

Gainstage is going to be po'ed at you guys now

Comment

Check out Timmy:

Comment

Originally posted by Gainstage View Post
                            What a Boss board this is.
                            I can think of a million other better pedals without a crappy set of buffers to boot.
                            If you're a good player I have no doubt the worst pedal can be used somewhat effectively. What is the deal with low budget stuff all the time is there some sort of problem with a serious quality pedal that might cost a little money?? At least maybe a Waza upgrade over the old style. Boss???
                            Take a relatively inexpensive Boss pedal, (even cheaper if you snag one in the Trading Post), toss in an inexpensive Monte Allums mod, and you get a sweet pedal that rivals many "boteek" pedals:

(Recording quality is somewhat lacking here.)

Comment

I use an SD-1 on my board sometimes, but I migrated to a Movall Minotaur for a quick solution for a boost type of OD...
                              Gear
                              Organs: 1972-73 Conn 632 "Serenade" analog theater organ, 1967 Hammond H-111 (not sounding but working), '72 Hammond T-524 + my '71 Hammond L-112 across the country.
                              Synths: Roland D-20, Kawai K11, Yamaha QS300
                              Leslie Cabinets: 1975 Leslie 825 and 1974 Leslie 705.
                              Guitars: Monterey Stage Series bitsa, 1991 Charvel CX-291 bitsa, 70s Hondo acoustic and a ton of parts.
                              Pedalboard: Home made DJ case thing conversion with a lot of budget pedals on it.
                              Amps: Fender Sidekick Reverb 35

Comment

Working...
                              X