X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saturday Night Special

Originally posted by JimmyO View Post
    With an A4 in the neck this could be similar to a production A4 59 that some folks have been interested in
    This is what I run in the neck of my Explorer.. 59b with an A4 and Custom 8 in the bridge.. yummy!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I have a polished A4 in the 59n in my Shecter Blackjack. I have a rough A4 in the Sh-6n in my Ibby strat. I also have an A4 hb wound by firebirdguy72 in the neck of my Lucite strat copy.
      I love them all.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

That sounds good if I wanted to sound like everyone else. I can't help but wonder how they would stack up to the Mojotone set.

Comment

Originally posted by Cullenszoo View Post
          I can't help but wonder how they would stack up to the Mojotone set.
          The Mojotone Hot Classic set that they sent me for a pre-release review is very impressive. It was also cool that they were willing to put some A4 mags in there, per my suggestion, since they already seemed pretty close to the upcoming SNS set.

First thing I thought of when they told me about the Hot Classic specs (PE wire, the DCR ranges, and other specs) is that an A2 would put the Hot Classic very much into the 78 Model territory.

Anyway, supposed to hear more from SD this next week about the SNS shipping dates. Maybe I'll review them too.

Comment

Sounds like a cool set.

Comment

id like to give them a try myself

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                Yeah, I prefer my LP with no pickups in it..... ???? haha

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

We all know by now that A4 was used in most 1959 Gibson PAF pickups.

Tom Holmes used A4 in his '59 clones.

PRS used A4 for the 8k neck pickup in the highly regarded original Dragon set.

Then he switched to A5 for the Dragon II set.

I always wanted more mids and output and less treble and a fuller tone from my A4 Tom Holmes set with the 8.2k bridge pickup.

So maybe these new SNS pickups will have that.

I can see tho, why Seymour used A2 and A5 for his PAF designs. I prefer them to the A4 pickups I've owned.
                  “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Pickup looks quite interesting.
                    Makes me wonder what a Custom or 59/Custom would sound like with an Alnico IV.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                      We all know by now that A4 was used in most 1959 Gibson PAF pickups.

They got the reputation as the Holy Grail of PU's for a reason, and if most had A4's, then there's definitely a lot of potential with that magnet.
                      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

They should have blued covers.

Comment

Sort of off-topic (and I am NOT the PC police, for the record-quite the opposite) but I'm surprised SD would choose a name with the racial baggage associated with 'Saturday Night Special' in these contentious times.

And if they thought of that and went, "to hell with the whiners", I'll buy a pair just to support that attitude!

Larry

Comment

what racial baggage?

Comment

I've never known Saturday Night Special to have any racial connotation, so I doubt that would have been a conversation at Duncan.
                              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I think larryguitar is referring to this:

Edit. completely OT: as usual these type of articles about the more than large use of weapons in US scares me. For Europeans like me this thing is pretty hard to understand. End OT.
                                Last edited by marcello252; 07-04-2016, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X