X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saturday Night Special

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
    I'm surprised SD would choose a name with the racial baggage associated with 'Saturday Night Special'
    You obviously know something the majority of us don't.

Would you care to elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post
      I think larryguitar is referring to this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_night_special
      If that's the only thing out there, then I'm thinking S-D has nothing to worry about!

I've always just heard of a Saturday Night Special as being a handgun... the connotations from a 50-year-old law that inflamed some racial questions way back when hardly seems relevant. I'd never even heard of it prior to reading that article!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by The Commodores?
      "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
        You obviously know something the majority of us don't.

Would you care to elaborate?

About how product names are chosen?

Or about the background of the "saturday night special" phrase?

Actually, I'd have figured people looking to complain would be uptight over the gun reference than anything other connotation. Especially so soon after Orlando.

Comment

I'm gonna guess they were thinking about the song, Mr. Saturday Night Special. But what about the Black Winter set? huh? LOL

Comment

Well, the first thing I thought about was the song. Let's see if the living members of LS have a problem with the name.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Well, the first thing I thought about was the song.

Right, a classic LS song, and with Saturday usually being the big night for playing gigs, the name fits on a few levels. I think Duncan made a good choice.
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

First thing I thought of was a gun unfortunately: an inexpensive handgun to use for a robbery.

But then, I grew up in Detroit in the 50's and 60's and that was a commonly used phrase.

Now if they'd named that pickup the Midnight Special I would have thought of both the Leadbelly song and that music show we used to watch late at night with Wolfman Jack hosting.
                “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
                  Very interesting. I'll look forward to your review Darth.
                  while still waiting on Duncan to release the Saturday Night Special, I did post a review of an advanced sneak preview of the upcoming Hot Classic that Mojotone is making. they allow for all sorts of options, so I asked for an Alnico 4 set as a bit of a comparison scenario to the SNS.

Comment

Meet the Saturday Night Special humbucker set. These pickups are made with Alnico 4 magnets to give a balanced, vintage tonality.

Its got cover that's chrome and cold..... Just made for rockin... On some music that's classic and old....
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                      http://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/...ht-special-set

Its got cover that's chrome and cold..... Just made for rockin... On some music that's classic and old....
                      Thanks... now it's stuck in my head! [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Originally posted by The Commodores?
                      "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                        http://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/...ht-special-set

HaHa!

In other news, they started shipping a few days ago. I hope to have my set in the mailbox this next week.

Comment

Maybe this is a dumb question, but are these gonna sound anything like a Gibson T-Top?

Comment

Originally posted by audiocheck View Post
                            Maybe this is a dumb question, but are these gonna sound anything like a Gibson T-Top?
                            They shouldn't. The specs are wrong. If memory serves most T-tops were sub-8k, and Gibson was using short A5 magnets. If you want a T-top tone the Jazz is gonna be your best bet. It has a very strong, clean, and crunchy sound. It uses a long magnet so the highs might be a bit more strident and/or the bass a bit better defined.
                            “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
                              They shouldn't. The specs are wrong. If memory serves most T-tops were sub-8k, and Gibson was using short A5 magnets. If you want a T-top tone the Jazz is gonna be your best bet. It has a very strong, clean, and crunchy sound. It uses a long magnet so the highs might be a bit more strident and/or the bass a bit better defined.

ok cool. No I am not looking for T-Top tone. I ripped mine out years ago. I am starting to get real interested in trying these, just didn't want it to be like a T-Top.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
                                I'm surprised SD would choose a name with the racial baggage associated with 'Saturday Night Special' in these contentious times
                                Wow...just...wow

Comment

Working...
                                X