banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get rid of a nasty smell off of a used guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to get rid of a nasty smell off of a used guitar?

Agreed, I don't usually try to save cases unless they are irreplaceable or have vintage value. Even then, there's a point of no return.

A 50% rubbing alcohol wipe-down does wonders for most guitars, though. Neutralizes odors (smoke, cat piss, mildew, etc) as it cleans and won't affect the majority of modern finishes. I've tried water, febreeze, etc. Rubbing alcohol and a clean microfiber rag are the way to go on the actual instrument, in my opinion.

Comment

Is it an acoustic or semi, or solid body? I wipe it down multiple times, and keep it away from a case

I don't store guitars in cases at all. -My guitars need to breathe and get used and keeping them in cases tend to make them musty and less touched.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I once owned a guitar that had like a vanilla/caramel smell to it. Kind of unusual, for sure, but not unpleasant.

Comment

I have had to throw a couple of cases thru the years, the fabreze didn't work , never tried coffee or alcohol

Comment

I had a cord bag that smelled like cat pee (dunno which cat over the years). Washing it, fabreeze, enzyme cleaner, NOTHING worked. Had to get another bag, and this was a nice one.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ha, it's funny a guitar i got a couple months ago smells like a cappuccino. I wonder if it smelled like something worse and someone did coffee trick before selling it to me. Lol

Comment

Scents, whether pleasant or putrid, do not exist as separate entities.
                Something is emitting that smell.
                It's not the guitar and it's not the case because those things do not naturally stink.
                It's something on the guitar or case.
                Clean them both.

Comment

Some smells need a priest or exorcist. Call in a professional.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                  X