banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get rid of a nasty smell off of a used guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to get rid of a nasty smell off of a used guitar?

wash your hands after pooping before playing your guitar

Comment

Play it until it smells like you.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by Myaccount876
      Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMatter View Post
        Take a shower with the guitar. Not only will you both be cleaner, it's a strong and intimate bonding experience.
        Did this..... guitar now smells or irish spring.. But, Now my pickups arent working......???

Originally posted by philthis View Post
        wash your hands after pooping before playing your guitar
        Always wash my hands before I play... regardless of whether or not I have recently shat...
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Leave that smell alone and just be metal!

Comment

Add some of your own nasty smell to it.

I actually have a few guitars with a unique smell. It actually doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
              I actually have a few guitars with a unique smell.
              Don't suppose we could get some details about this? lol

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                Don't suppose we could get some details about this? lol
                Some of it could be building materials glues with cases etc.

My 1980 ibanez destroyer with custom blood dripping pete case, haha it has a smell for sure.

Comment

I got this thing earlier this year, and it STUNK. The case was all full of Mildew, and stank like smokes. I wiped it out with bleach wipes multiple times, Febreezed it, and now it's been sitting open in my garage attic (un-dry-walled, the PO of my house used it to dry wood out in) It still smells, after a couple months. I'm totally doing the coffee thing when I get home now.

Comment

I can't say as I've really ever smelled a stinky guitar or case. However, I can't help but laugh because this thread reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where the stinky valet gets in Jerry's car, and stinks it up so bad he can't even sell it so he just leaves it on the side of the road and homeless people won't even take it.....lol

Comment

Sell it, perhaps?
                      Wackor
                      Ørdøg
                      NecroPolo
                      Diabolus in Musica
                      SIDrip Alliance
                      Book of Shadows
                      RKH

Comment

I bought a used guit once that reeked of smoke like crazy... fabreze and a good airing out cured that one for the most part.
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Rand-O-Monium View Post
                          Whatever it takes...

Mebbe some Febreeze in the case & lock it up for a bit?
                          After wiping down the guitar,I suppose.

What's the funk,cigarette smoke,cat piss,etc?
                          No smell of piss, just horrible cologne. Most likely mixed with sweat. I have tried most of these remedies, the funk still inhabits this case.

Comment

I had some old acoustic guitars that were found in a hoarder's house . . . they were full of mouse poop and smelled . . . not so fresh. What worked for me was vacuuming out the inside of them, wiping down the outsides with a (very) slightly damp cloth, and then dropping a couple drops of cedar wood essential oil inside the sound hole. Then keeping them out in the open for a few weeks to air out. By the time the essential oil smell wore off, the stinky smell had worn off too. YMMV.

Cases are a different matter. Once stink gets into fabric you're screwed.
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

With cases, I'd just buy another case. I don't know if I'd buy a guitar if it smelled that bad, however.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                                With cases, I'd just buy another case. I don't know if I'd buy a guitar if it smelled that bad, however.
                                My experience is closer to this. One of my guitars spent many a gig at the Alrosa Villa. Back in the day when you could still smoke in the venue. You could wash your clothes after a show there and they still wreaked of cigarette smoke. The guitar is ok, but it's case now lives in my garage! I just bought a new case. The guitar is fine. Makes me curious about what is up with a guitar that could inherit such a smell.
                                I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Working...
                                X