banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what would the result be if you added pickups over the strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would the result be if you added pickups over the strings?

An example would be an SG with pickups mounted conventionally in the body and then installed another set of Humbucers over the neck and bridge pickups. Another option would be to offset them to some degree. It would of course interfere with your ability to play but for me using finger picking technique that would not be a major problem. The yield of such a configuration would be four pickup options and the associated mixing options. Also the overlapping magnetic fields might result in some interesting new tones.

Of course it would be butt ugly.

Has anybody tried this or is it just too ridiculous to even consider?

Re: what would the result be if you added pickups over the strings?

The overlapping magnetic fields would cancel. If they're attracting the magnet underneath, they would pull the flux through the string and you don't get the same disturbance. If they're opposing (aside from Alnico potentially degaussing) they would fight the flux lines and still cancel audio. They're 180° out of phase but you could flip that electrically.

Comment

how would you even play the thing?

Comment

This thread makes me feel like in elementary school again...lol.

Comment

Someone here rigged up something that sits on top of the guitar & some kinda quick-change assembly.

Forgot why,think he was taking some kinda readings/measurements or something...
          "Scalloped & Stickered"
          A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

I did put another pup over the neck pup:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160722_17_30_05_Pro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	5793695
            I am getting some very unusual sounds out of this arrangement. I'll have to play around with it some more tomorrow, it is not doing anything remotely like what I expected. The neck arrangement seems interesting it's when I move it to the bridge that things start to come unhinged.

Comment

Please elaborate on both "unusual" and particularly "unhinged".

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

I think this is what happens when curiosity in the name of 'science' overtakes practicality and reason.

Comment

Well, not exactly. Scientific discovery relies upon individuals who are willing to take risks and ask questions that most don't bother with because they take for granted that all that is already is all that could possibly be.

Comment

Forgive me for asking, but aren't the old Rickenbacker horseshoe pickups kind of along the same lines? Having a magnet that extends to over the pickups?

I don't know much about Rickenbackers, so what I just typed could look incredibly stupid to those of you who understand them.
                    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                    Line 6 Helix
                    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

No, your right.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                        Well, not exactly. Scientific discovery relies upon individuals who are willing to take risks and ask questions that most don't bother with because they take for granted that all that is already is all that could possibly be.

Yeah, except scientific discovery starts with an actual problem to solve. This is just a hammer in search of a nail that doesn't exist.

Comment

Once again I disagree. The root of science is human curiosity. It's not nearly so pragmatic as you make it out to be. Otherwise physics would have ended with Newton.

Comment

Can't think of a physics discovery that didn't start with a problem statement to solve.
                            Science is a bit more than "Hey everybody, what happens if I do this?"

Comment

OK, I challenge you. What practical problem was solved by discovering the details of gravity? People built structures for millennia without understanding the definitions of Newton's laws. Why did he bother researching them? Same could be said of Pythagoras.

Comment

Working...
                              X