banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what would the result be if you added pickups over the strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what would the result be if you added pickups over the strings?

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    OK, I challenge you. What practical problem was solved by discovering the details of gravity? People built structures for millennia without understanding the definitions of Newton's laws. Why did he bother researching them? Same could be said of Pythagoras.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    It was to explain the motion of planets that people had observed prior but were unable to explain why things moved in the patterns they saw.

Comment

Yes, but why? To improve navigation? They already knew the practical periods, just not why. But navigation worked none the less.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        Yeah, except scientific discovery starts with an actual problem to solve. This is just a hammer in search of a nail that doesn't exist.
        Discovery for discovery's sake, then. No need to be so cynical about someone fiddling around with some extra guitar pickups.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
        Originally posted by Securb
        The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

You never know, he might come up with something good.

Comment

Yeah, except scientific discovery starts with an actual problem to solve. This is just a hammer in search of a nail that doesn't exist.
            By definition, in order for something to be a scientific discovery, it has to follow the scientific method. You have to posit a question ("What would happen if I placed an electric guitar pickup over the strings as well as under it?"), formulate a hypothesis ("The guitar will sound brighter." for example), test out your theory with an experiment that is easily copied and where only one variable is manipulated (the one variable being the addition of an extra pickup over the strings), observe the results, and then retest in order to see if those results were consistent or the result of a fluke.

Leevc5 followed the scientific method, therefore he made a scientific discovery.
            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
            Line 6 Helix
            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
              By definition, in order for something to be a scientific discovery, it has to follow the scientific method. You have to posit a question ("What would happen if I placed an electric guitar pickup over the strings as well as under it?"), formulate a hypothesis ("The guitar will sound brighter." for example), test out your theory with an experiment that is easily copied and where only one variable is manipulated (the one variable being the addition of an extra pickup over the strings), observe the results, and then retest in order to see if those results were consistent or the result of a fluke.

Leevc5 followed the scientific method, therefore he made a scientific discovery.
              Right. The hypothesis was he'd get twice as many sound options by doubling up pickups and the discovery was "it is not doing anything remotely like what I expected", and I think post #2 might be a clue why.

Comment

I still want to hear the results. Especially the off the hinge ones.

Comment

Right. The hypothesis was he'd get twice as many sound options by doubling up pickups and the discovery was "it is not doing anything remotely like what I expected", and I think post #2 might be a clue why.
                  Hypotheses are proven wrong quite often after testing. The beauty of the scientific method is that we can take the new information we have and form a new hypothesis and start testing an exploring that new hypothesis. Post #2 may very well be a clue why it didn't sound anything like what he expected, but there's nothing that says that it couldn't be a sound that he hates and won't utilize anyways.
                  Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                  Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                  Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                  Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                  Line 6 Helix
                  Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Ok. But if it were me, first I would fix the reverse stagger on the bridge saddles so the thing plays in tune, before trying to discover new tones with the neck pickup. But to each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                      You never know, he might come up with something good.

He already did. This would be number 1 in "World's Dumbest: The Most Thought-fool Invention of the 21st Century". Or maybe Seth MacFarlane can adapt this 'invention' to spice up Stewie's time machine.

Comment

I have been thinking about this for my pickup test recordings. A suction mount of some sorts. I wouldn't have regular mounted pickups, though.

The magnetic field issue probably has to be looked at on a pickup to pickup basis. If they don't have side-by-side bobbins then obviously you could pick polarity so that it adds, not cancels.

Humbuckers you could partially overlap so that two bobbins on top of each other add, the others being away from each other. I would expect that to work to a certain degree. If it didn't then a regular humbucker wouldn't work either.

Comment

How much Flux would Frank Falbo Flax if Frank Falbo Fluxed Fluence?
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

In a strange way, this is sort of how an Ebow works. I have 2 I use all the time.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The pickup over the strings will be out of phase with what it would be under the strings so you would have to reverse the leads or flip the magnet.

It also seems that with magnets below and above, whether repelling or attracting, it would really jack around with the strings' vibration and cut sustain a bit.
                              Generic signature line.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X