banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what would the result be if you added pickups over the strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what would the result be if you added pickups over the strings?

Neck:
    1.guitar neck only
    2.guitar neck w/ uber pup off
    3.guitar pup + uber pup
    4.uber pup reversed
    Bridge:
    1. guitar bridge only
    2.guitar bridge + uber pup off
    3.guitar bridge + uber pup on
    4.uber pup only
    5.uber pup reversed
    6.guitar bridge + reversed uber pup
    or something like that, I didn't write it down before or during.
    If one were to put an uber pup on each neck and bridge it would result in 384 tone options.
    Whatever, I think it adds some nice tones. If I would have used different neck and bridge pups with much different tone characteristics it probably would have resulted in more significant tonal variations.
    When I did my first quick check yesterday I had the bridge out of phase and in series switch on and that caused some very different and unlikable results.
    None the less, I don't think I will be permanently installing on my guitar any time soon because it would obviously make difficult playing platform. Although, if you made a really long guitar pick you could overcome this restriction.
    Maybe a single coil would be interesting.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzy...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by leevc5; 07-23-2016, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      how would you even play the thing?
      First thing I thought of after I read the post.

Comment

My 5 year old and i do science all the time. Just yesterday we mixed 5 kitchen items together and made slime.

This mod would go well with the raised epoxy fret. hehe

But honestly good on you for trying out something different.

Comment

My next experiment in théâtre de l'absurde will to be setting up a single coil on an adjustable stand to see what if any effect the angle of the uber pup has on the tone.

Comment

Next test single width rail pickup at 45, 90 and 135 degree angles over Humbucker neck then bridge:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160723_18_06_53_Pro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	5793711

Comment

I already recorded the baseline installed humbucker sounds in the previous sample so these are just sample of the installed and uber pup.
              sound samples, single width rail pickup at 45, 90 and 135 degree angles over Humbucker neck then bridge:
              https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzy...ew?usp=sharing
              Seems as if the angle of a single width pup has more of an effect on the sound than the 90 degree only humbucker uber pup.

Comment

Originally posted by leevc5 View Post
                My next experiment in théâtre de l'absurde will to be setting up a single coil on an adjustable stand to see what if any effect the angle of the uber pup has on the tone.
                I give you big credit for having a sense of humor about it. Kind of like it says in your sig, I think you've reached the jazz level of electromagnetic experimentation.

Comment

I tried 3 hotrails running horizontal under 6 strings once. So each rail was under one string. Didn't work.

Comment

Why not just put a magnet in this and see if it has any effect and at what angles.[single width rail pickup at 45, 90 and 135 degree angles over Humbucker]In other words ,see what an added varying magnetic field does to the pup output.
                    sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                    - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
                      Why not just put a magnet in this and see if it has any effect and at what angles
                      Nooo... you told him!

Comment

Originally posted by leevc5 View Post
                        or is it just too ridiculous to even consider?
                        This.

Finger style or not, it would be a guitar that you could not even come close to being able to play!
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Why not just put a magnet in this and see if it has any effect and at what angles.[single width rail pickup at 45, 90 and 135 degree angles over Humbucker]In other words ,see what an added varying magnetic field does to the pup output.
                          I use a pickup because it gives me a blended tone and the option of almost 400 different configurations. I will try it with a magnet and see what that does.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                            This.

Finger style or not, it would be a guitar that you could not even come close to being able to play!
                            Of course you are correct as usual Doc. But if I only added it to the neck or bridge instead of both it would be playable. And then there is the option of using a very long pick or having very long finger nails.
                            But ultimately (this is just between you and me of course, above all don't let LtK know) this is all just an absurd parody on the hundreds of "different" pickups that are offered today and the "new and better" pickup designs that are coming out at an accelerating rate. Even the name I have given it, uber pickup, is in reference to Nietzsche, one of the greatest weisenheimingstar writers.
                            Last edited by leevc5; 07-24-2016, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                              This.

Or fit into an existing guitar case.
                              “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

OK, I am setting it up with A2s as the installed pups are A5s.
                                After that I'm going to test optical pickups. That will take some time but from what I have read it will be well worth the effort.

Comment

Working...
                                X