banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what would the result be if you added pickups over the strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what would the result be if you added pickups over the strings?

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
    I was joking, you weren't meant to take me seriously. Damn it!
    Crap, and I've been working on the darn thing all afternoon! Might as well finish it up and give 'er a whirl....

Comment

When the spinning pickup was parallel to the strings, you'd only hear the G and D strings, but they would sound strange too, since you're seeing a two to three inch length of the strings, instead of just a quarter of an inch. I bet it would sound pretty cool.

Comment

What about a pickup that you could spin around like a cartoon style bow tie?
        Rick Turner already does the rotatable pickup idea on his model 1 guitars.

Comment

The pickup on Rick Turner's guitar is rotated by hand. I'm working on a spinning pickup run by a little electric motor.

Comment

Originally posted by leevc5 View Post
            The pickup on Rick Turner's guitar is rotated by hand. I'm working on a spinning pickup run by a little electric motor.
            make it a 7 so it covers more of the metal twanging things.

Comment

Originally posted by Lysergene View Post
              Very generally speaking, scientific discovery usually starts with curiosity and experimentation. Then comes the testing (scientific method) and resulting theory which gets tested to destruction, or becomes a law (which doesn't mean it cannot be overthrown by a 'better' one).

When it was discovered that the Earth isn't at the middle of the universe people were thrown in prison and burned alive for publishing their findings. There was no 'problem' to solve there, in fact most people would probably have just left it due to the Inquisition. But there are real benefits to knowing this information.

Fair play for trying this stuff man. Don't stop for the sake of a few nay-sayers!
              Regardless of the degree of the science (if any) involved in this project, I can't see how the end result would contribute to the progress of the guitar-playing universe (not that we ever progress by the way).

Residents of the guitar-playing universe are still embedded in technology that is more than a half-century old. Guitar innovations for the past 30 years ultimately were relegated to plain novelties in the long run. I can think of Synth Ax and amps with on-board effects...what else?

Comment

I must have missed the part where the op was planning to make millions of dollars from his idea.

Comment

If this were going to be usable, you'd probably need some sort of drive belt the spin the pickup, as having the motor that close to the pickup would definitely be audible in the form of emi.

Comment

I must have missed the part where the op was planning to make millions of dollars from his idea.
                    He already inked a deal with Mark Cuban. They are going to take the company public and cash out before the bubble pops out, dot-com style. If you build it, they will come, that's the mantra...lol.

Comment

Originally posted by thanaton View Post
                      If this were going to be usable, you'd probably need some sort of drive belt the spin the pickup, as having the motor that close to the pickup would definitely be audible in the form of emi.
                      Excellent point. Back to the drawing board...

Comment

That's a great idea, though. Bands that like to use novel, showy guitars on stage would probably eat it up.

You can preview how it will sound by just holding the spinning pickup over the strings as you play.

Comment

Originally posted by thanaton View Post
                          I think the more important concern is: Is the motor environmentally friendly? Using renewable energy that doesn't harm the ozone layer/ emitting green-house gas? If not, nah...I'll pass.

Comment

And spin.

Comment

Originally posted by leevc5
                              FLUENCE
                              Remember to take your meds, you get so peavish and point missing when you don't.
                              Fluence (and all actives) occupy a 'side road' you could say. Its another method to get what we've been getting from passives (essentially) for the last 70 years.

The tone of electric guitar is set. Apart from what Tom Morello has done, the actual artistry side of the guitar hasn't altered much since the mid-late 60's.

Comment

" I think the more important concern is: Is the motor environmentally friendly? Using renewable energy that doesn't harm the ozone layer/ emitting green-house gas? If not, nah...I'll pass. " <-- Yea , just like the Carbon Footprint that thousands of Gallons of Jet-Fuel used to fly all those Ancient Wind- Bags to DC ( Every week on our Dime ) that are preachin' to nuture the planet , while we Cant Find even a Can of Lacquer at the HD ( wonder how many spray cans it Takes to Equal 1 Flight of Mr. Green gores plane ?

Comment

Working...
                                X