banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets talk about ALL Mesa Boogies. Come in and brag about you're please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lets talk about ALL Mesa Boogies. Come in and brag about you're please!!!

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I wish Marshall would make a vintage plexi circuit and celestion speaker reissue with these features and smaller size I'd own 2 of them.

If you can live with the 10" Celestion - https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/p...s/studio/sv20c

Granted, it is a V-type and I'm guessing you're looking more for a Greenback type speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
      If you can live with the 10" Celestion - https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/p...s/studio/sv20c

Granted, it is a V-type and I'm guessing you're looking more for a Greenback type speaker.
      Bingo -thats my issue. I've been talking to Marshall about this -Marshall has assured me the 10" V type voicing won in their tests for combo 20 watt Plexi.

So I'm shooting out one this week as a matter of fact.

Even so it's short a few features I would like -as are most Marshalls -they do certain things extremely well or the best and don't get wild often.

I'm looking for a sub 40 lb combo 1x12 Vintage Plexi tone with Fx loop that is closer to the size of the Mesa MarkV . -but Marshalls tend to be several inches larger in most dimensions because of their amp loading style.

reason is -I want a 1x12 20/30 wattish combo sub 50 lbs and meeting the girth requirements to be checked onto a plan in a case where I don't get dinged for baggage overage. this way I can always bring a combo backup at no cost to a show and relieve that "what if the backline amp sux fear" I seem to always have.
      Last edited by NegativeEase; 01-22-2020, 02:15 PM.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
        Mesa's can be fickle and hard to dial in for one. They also have a stiffer feel and are rather unforgiving. That takes some adjustment for someone like me who plays so much by feel and will use volume and touch to clean up most of the time rather than hitting a channel switch. They feel completely differently than say a Marshall or something like my PRS MT 15 does and that took some getting used to.
        Positives are they really do sound good in an over all mix once you do dial them in and the build quality is absolutely bullet proof. While a Boogie is no where near as organic and touch sensitive raw as some other amps they work extremely well when you add effects in particular in the loop. Boogies seem to like the high tec tones with Dimarzio or active pickups and effects. They do that thing as well as anything out there. Amps like my PRS, Zinky or a Marshall are much better for the more organic raw tones so different tools for different jobs.
        Thanks man, that's great input.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase
          I wish Marshall would make a vintage plexi circuit and celestion speaker reissue with these features and smaller size I'd own 2 of them.

That would be pretty amazing, sign me up.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Have a WGS ET 10 in my Subway Rocket and have run most of the Celesions over the years and would not even consider swapping the ET 10 for ANY of them. It's an absolute home run in my little Subway.
            This is the little 1/10 combo with the ET 10 running unmiced in the former lobby of an old hospital. This room is HUGE and the recorder is on the edge of a stairwell that runs up the center open atrium looking down into the room.
            Last edited by Ascension; 01-22-2020, 03:45 PM.
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I've used some nice sounding Single and Dual Recs, tried a Triple Rec once and didn't like it, just way too much, might as well be using Solid State at that point, you're not going to get a Triple to break a sweat at decent jet engine volume levels.
              And with the older triples you can't pull a pair of tubes and stay balanced. The multi-watts are another story altogether since you can set each channel individually for all the options.

One of the most overlooked aspects of the rectifier series is vintage-gain mode. People will switch to it from modern and instantly think it's not for them without taking the time to work with it.
              The presence knob is the key. It works very softly through most of the range then really opens-up near the top. The whole stack needs adjusted for raw and vintage when coming from modern.

Comment

Just traded for my 1st Mesa. A 50 Cal plus.
                It needed some love and deoxit and (preamp) tubes badly.
                Still Needs a couple new valves, (power) but here are some tones that I am pretty happy with.

Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Bought a new Mesa Roadster head for just a hair under 2k about a decade ago. I don't buy many things full retail (and you can't haggle on Mesa products) but it was worth it because 2 weeks after my 5 year warranty expired a cap or resister blew and resulted in some tubes failing also. Mesa did the whole repair for free and retubed the whole thing! That's a lot of tubes and they weren't obligated to.

I remember A/Bing the amp with a 90s 2 channel dual rectifer. Vintage and modern mode sounded the same. Plus the roadster has all the sounds you can get from a Lone Star.

2 major quirks: you had to press channel 3 or 4 on footswitch in standby mode or else you get a loud pop the first time you switch into those channels.. not too bad.
                  Due to amp circuitry the reverb would 'wash in' a second after channel switch.. bad

Comment

I still have my first Boogie: one of the early Mk II heads, which Randy made for me back in the 70s when he was still building them at home in his shed. Amazing little monster. I ran it through Marshall 4x12 cabs (loaded with G12-65s) through the Eighties and into the early 90s. When I finally retired it from active duty, we had played more than three thousand sets & sessions together.

In '95 I switched my gig rig to a rack system, using the Triaxis preamp with a 50/50 power amp. Twenty-five years later, the Tri still gives me everything I need - it's eight different all-tube preamp circuits in a single rack space. I've cut back on wattage and cabs in the intervening decades. With modern stage volumes being much lower, I'm now running a 20:20 and a 1936 2x12 cab wired for stereo, and various effects have come & gone over the years. But Triaxis remains the heart of my tone. It's a whole universe unto itself. Mine's an early one, when they still had the second piggyback board inside with a whole separate rectifier preamp on it. But my most often-used mode is still the one that duplicates the Mk II. It's based on the Mk IIC+ so a tad more civilized than my old head, but it has the same basic personality and dynamic response.

Also have a Son Of Boogie combo from the 90s. Basically a stripped-down version of the old Mk I amps, with an EVM 12L. It has fantastic cleans and mostly serves as my rehearsal amp, using drive pedals to approximate a handful of favorite tone characters from the Triaxis. I've got a couple of vintage blackface Fenders that I run once in a while too. But the SOB is sturdier than the Fenders, a good solid knockaround amp.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200122_180213.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	5818099

Well I guess Mesa is o.k I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by PS412 View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]103065[/ATTACH]

Well I guess Mesa is o.k I suppose.

Yeah Mesa's are alright. I mean for a tube amp. Lol
                        Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                        Last edited by Repoman; 01-30-2020, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Repoman View Post
                          Yeah Mesa's are alright. I mean for a tube amp. Lol
                          https://s124.photobucket.com/user/dr...oey3q.jpg.html
                          Nice collection indeed.

Comment

Working...
                          X