banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets talk about ALL Mesa Boogies. Come in and brag about you're please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lets talk about ALL Mesa Boogies. Come in and brag about you're please!!!

I own and play the:

Road King V1
    Stiletto V1
    Single Rec Solo 50 V1
    Mark IV (short head)
    Blue Angel 4x10
    The Coliseum 300 Power Amp.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Enjoy your search,

~LD
    For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

I owned a Single Recto for about 3 years. Nice amp, with good tone. I could not jive with the eq and was always turning dials. Sold it last year.

My low volume practice amp is one of the new Roland Cubes. Its gain channel is based on the Recto, and it sounds better than my old Mesa head! Lol!
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

I have a 1x12 Dual Rect Blue Angel, which is unlike any Mesa you are bound to play. 5 knobs, no master volume and selectable between 2-6v6 or 4-EL-84 tubes or all 6. Really wonderful sounding amp that sounds divine on 4 or 5.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I had used the dual rectifier. It needs little to none tweaking to sound metal out of the box. Instead, the 6505 needs a lot of time to dial a good sound.
          The Mesa standard oversized slant cab is the tighest cab I have ever heard. I tried the Engl and Orange cabs, but I ended up using the Mesa for our recordings. Take this statetement with a grain of salt bcs I only play metal so i don't know how good that cab will sound with 'other' music styles.

pd.: is good to be back

Comment

I have a Dual Rec Trem O Verb. It is a beast of an amp. Clean to scream, 2 channels with two modes each and assignable across channels. More switching and looping options than you will ever need. More wattage and headroom than you will ever need. Valve reverb, valve trem.

Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 08-09-2016, 09:25 AM.
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I had a Mesa DC-5 that was a killer combo amp! The best part about the amp (to me at least) was the 5 way EQ–could totally transform the amp. Had a clean channel based off of a Mark series and the drive channel was based off of a Rectifer...awesome amp and highly underrated/valued IMO.

Comment

One thing with the newer rectifiers,,,,,,,,,,,don't be afraid to roll that treble down low (even down to 9-10:00 if needed) and then roll your presence up from 0 until you get enough bite.
                With the treble dialed low it lets more mids and lows through, so you might need to roll those down lower also.
                Tones higher with gain lower, or gain higher and tones lower,,,,,,,,,,,many ways to approach these amps.
                Try starting a 12:00 with the tones like the manual says, but also try starting with the tones at 0 and dialing them up as needed.

The knobs on the older 2-channels don't sound nearly as aggressive as far as range and potency,,,,much more "normal" I'd say.

Comment

I love Mesa amps, I've owned a ton of their stuff over the years. Early Dual Recto, V-Twin pedal, Single, Roadster and Road King. The latter two are incredibly tweakable but I just find the tones I want and leave it alone. Four channels with a boost in front from time to time is plenty of options for me. You really need to take some time and learn how to use the EQ properly, but it helps dial in what you want a lot faster.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                    One thing with the newer rectifiers,,,,,,,,,,,don't be afraid to roll that treble down low (even down to 9-10:00 if needed) and then roll your presence up from 0 until you get enough bite.
                    With the treble dialed low it lets more mids and lows through, so you might need to roll those down lower also.
                    Tones higher with gain lower, or gain higher and tones lower,,,,,,,,,,,many ways to approach these amps.
                    Try starting a 12:00 with the tones like the manual says, but also try starting with the tones at 0 and dialing them up as needed.

The knobs on the older 2-channels don't sound nearly as aggressive as far as range and potency,,,,much more "normal" I'd say.
                    I have a 2ch DR and I keep the treble either off or no more than 9:00.
                    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I've sold off most of my excess gear. Kept a couple of Rectifiers and an Electra Dyne. Used the money to buy a couple of nice guitars.

For me, the Rectifier is simply the one I feel the most comfortable on. I favour the Roadster to my 2 channel because the Roadster is darker and more compressed, plus the additional low gain options. The extra compression keeps the volume more stable as I roll my guitar's volume knob back to clean the Roadster up.... whereas my 2 channel has a tendency to thin out when I try that with it. I also spend a lot of time in Raw mode, and make a lot of use having two clean channels (one dialled in to be mostly clean, and the other is more like a cranked baseman). Reverb and the ability to assign the tube rectifier to specific channels is just the icing on the cake.

The way I dial in the Electra Dyne it's basically a lower gain Rectifier. It's like a Plexi and a Recto had offspring and that offspring was fed whisky and steroids. It's f*cking massive. It's drawback is that it doesn't do quiet very well. If I can't get the volume up at least moderately loud it's not even worth turning the thing on. I ditched the stock MC-90 and installed a V30 in it. The stock speaker was great, but I prefer how punchy V30s are.

|| Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                        I had a Mesa DC-5 that was a killer combo amp! The best part about the amp (to me at least) was the 5 way EQ–could totally transform the amp. Had a clean channel based off of a Mark series and the drive channel was based off of a Rectifer...awesome amp and highly underrated/valued IMO.
                        I gigged with a DC-5 for about a year or two. Great amp!
                        Go Packers!

Comment

So whats the truth about the Dual Rectifier vs. the Tremoverb? ( or Rectoverb, not sure the difference).
                          Ive heard that the Tremoverb is more versatile, more organic , and has a btter clean tone, but that doesnt do TeH BroOtAlz like the Dual ( or triple) Rectifer. Then also I've heard some say the difference is neglible at best as far as High Crushing Gain..
                          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                            I have a Dual Rec Trem O Verb. It is a beast of an amp. Clean to scream, 2 channels with two modes each and assignable across channels. More switching and looping options than you will ever need. More wattage and headroom than you will ever need. Valve reverb, valve trem.

I see in your pic a B&K rev50s2 right? I owned a AVR307 and AVR507s2. Love and very much Miss B&K.
                            O the Mesa is badass, I'd love to find a 2x12 Dual Rec Combo

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

When I was at Russo's in Trenton NJ playing a few Mesa Combo's, I thought they where broke in some way or another as my traditional Tone starting points may have been all wrong for mesa amps after reading your post and watching a few videos.
                              I want to go back and revisit Mesa

Comment

Always always always read the manual for your Boogies. Just because the eq says low, medium and hi doesn't meant that is what they are doing.

Case in point, both my Stiletto AND my Blue Angel have mid knobs that act as gain controls. In fact the Blue Angel's mid knob is a mid knob from 7 o'clock to about 11:30 and THEN it's gain.

Not all of them are like this but if you get a new revision, it could be. So just because your friend's recto is normal doesn't always mean yours is going to be when you buy it (new).

\m/,

~LD
                                For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Working...
                                X