banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets talk about ALL Mesa Boogies. Come in and brag about you're please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lets talk about ALL Mesa Boogies. Come in and brag about you're please!!!

Originally posted by mantis View Post
    I see in your pic a B&K rev50s2 right? I owned a AVR307 and AVR507s2. Love and very much Miss B&K.
    [OFF TOPIC]Good eye! That was an older iteration w a Ref 502s2, 3 channel B&K, and Krell 2 channel amp for the fronts. I swapped the krell out for Linn monoblocks and recently swapped both out for an Acurus 3ch and 2ch amp setup. Am considering biamping the fronts with a Krell/Acurus or Krell/Linn combo.

Fronts were Hales Revelation 2. Now using all Sonus Faber. Music sources are Linn LP12 and Arcam FMJ CD39.

Perks of working in the high end audio biz! [/OFF TOPIC]
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

My Blue Angel looks like this, but with dark blue tolex:

Click image for larger version

Name:	angel.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	5793894
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The only Mesa I've owned is a Stiletto Ace combo. Love that amp, but have it storage because of the weight. Killer amp, though. I need to dig it out and have it re-tubed.

I like it because it has a great range from warm, bluesy clean to over the top roar. It takes pedals well, on the clean channel. My one issue with it is that it only has two channels. But I made due with a couple of overdrives to fill the middle ground. Put it away in favor of my custom JTM style amp, since I was using dirt pedals.

I've played a mini recto in a store and didn't care for it. It was almost too raspy sounding for me.

I've always wanted a Road King head, but could not justify the price. But it would be nice to have that range of tones available with fewer pedals involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
          [OFF TOPIC]Good eye! That was an older iteration w a Ref 502s2, 3 channel B&K, and Krell 2 channel amp for the fronts. I swapped the krell out for Linn monoblocks and recently swapped both out for an Acurus 3ch and 2ch amp setup. Am considering biamping the fronts with a Krell/Acurus or Krell/Linn combo.

Fronts were Hales Revelation 2. Now using all Sonus Faber. Music sources are Linn LP12 and Arcam FMJ CD39.

Perks of working in the high end audio biz! [/OFF TOPIC]
          Very cool man, thats what I do for a living.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
            So whats the truth about the Dual Rectifier vs. the Tremoverb? ( or Rectoverb, not sure the difference).
            Ive heard that the Tremoverb is more versatile, more organic , and has a btter clean tone, but that doesnt do TeH BroOtAlz like the Dual ( or triple) Rectifer. Then also I've heard some say the difference is neglible at best as far as High Crushing Gain..
            Snagged mine for $750 off craigslist about a year ago. It's a 99 I believe (12,7**).
            Showroom condition still (no doubt a closet queen), but never had a tube change (there goes another bill or two).

My only time with it has been with the original str420 coke-bottle set, and of course the tall-bottle rectifiers, plus the guy even said he'd let it go a year or two without plugging it in, so a cap job is also in order before retubing just for good measure.

Anyways, with the original 420 tubes it definitely has a punchier/thunkier midrange compared to my 95 dual with str440 6L6.

The Tremoverb might have a bit less extension on the lows and presence if they were compared with both amp's knobs at noon, but the Tremoverb has plenty of depth and sizzle on hand if needed.

I'm guessing a set of 440s and short-style rectifiers will bring it a little closer to the standard dual if compared apples to apples.

Comment

Not actually mine but I've been holding onto and playing a Mesa/Boogie Studio Caliber DC-2 for the last few weeks. If I didn't already have a 5150 2x12 Combo I'd be considering making this one mine. It's a versatile beast with plenty of power.

2 channels, 20 watts, 5 Pre-Amp and 2 EL84 Mesa Boogie Tubes. Sparkling Clean Channel and Lead which can be very Metal sounding or Super Smooth with use of the Contour Function. Tons of gain. Great tube amp sound. Built for the pros. Great for recording or personal use.

The Dual Caliber amps now offer independent gains, tones, and master volumes on each channel--plus, an overall MASTER OUTPUT LEVEL. The RHYTHM CHANNEL is said to be from the MARK IV; while the LEAD CHANNEL is based on the Dual Rectifier's LEAD CHANNEL design. The effects loop is now a parallel, rather than a series loop. A switch on the back panel offers the option of SILENT RECORDING, removing the speaker output for those late-nite sessions.

Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 08-12-2016, 11:34 AM.
              MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
              1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
              1988 Kramer Nightswan
              1989 Charvel Sambora
              2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
              Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
              Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

I've tried the DC-5, the Mark IV, Mark V, Road King and own a 2ch Dual Rec. All Mesa amps are objectively great in some way and for metal rhythm guitar. Not many if any amps have the size that the Dual Rec has, it sounds ginormous.
                The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                  I've tried the DC-5, the Mark IV, Mark V, Road King and own a 2ch Dual Rec. All Mesa amps are objectively great in some way and for metal rhythm guitar. Not many if any amps have the size that the Dual Rec has, it sounds ginormous.
                  Have you compared it to the Tremoverb?
                  "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
                    Always always always read the manual for your Boogies. Just because the eq says low, medium and hi doesn't meant that is what they are doing.
                    Absolutely this!

Comment

I use the F-50 head into a Marshall 1936 cab with WGS Vetran 30 speakers. I like the tone of the amp but it has the weirdest EQ i've ever seen on an amp...the Treble basically does noting as far as i can tell?

Comment

I have wanted one of those for a long time!

Comment

Originally posted by Yzerman View Post
                          I use the F-50 head into a Marshall 1936 cab with WGS Vetran 30 speakers. I like the tone of the amp but it has the weirdest EQ i've ever seen on an amp...the Treble basically does noting as far as i can tell?
                          Usually on Mesas the treble has the most effect on sound, even in the F-series manual it says this. How high is your gain turned up? Once you go past about 1:00 on the gain the amp gets darker, and the eq controls will start making less of a difference when you turn them.
                          sigpic
                          Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by muttznmongrelz View Post
                            Not actually mine but I've been holding onto and playing a Mesa/Boogie Studio Caliber DC-2 for the last few weeks. If I didn't already have a 5150 2x12 Combo I'd be considering making this one mine. It's a versatile beast with plenty of power.

2 channels, 20 watts, 5 Pre-Amp and 2 EL84 Mesa Boogie Tubes. Sparkling Clean Channel and Lead which can be very Metal sounding or Super Smooth with use of the Contour Function. Tons of gain. Great tube amp sound. Built for the pros. Great for recording or personal use.

The Dual Caliber amps now offer independent gains, tones, and master volumes on each channel--plus, an overall MASTER OUTPUT LEVEL. The RHYTHM CHANNEL is said to be from the MARK IV; while the LEAD CHANNEL is based on the Dual Rectifier's LEAD CHANNEL design. The effects loop is now a parallel, rather than a series loop. A switch on the back panel offers the option of SILENT RECORDING, removing the speaker output for those late-nite sessions.

That is the next generation of my little Subway Rocket 1/10. I would love to have a head version of one of those!! I own a .50 cal + head now .
                            My little Subway really sounds good for a tiny 1/10 combo here is a live gig with her.
                            Guitars
                            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

^^^Be careful next time! Looks like there might be an extremely rough crowd. lol

Comment

I've got a Mesa Single Rec (series 1) and I love it. When I first purchased the amp i was also a "metal guy". But over the years my tastes have changed and i've found that it's got much more versatility than it's reputation as being a metal amp. These days i'm way more into Kotzen and Winery Dogs type stuff and my Mesa can be dialed in for those tones as well. Best thing about the Single Rec IMO is that you can get them for cheap (like $500-600) and get good low volume tones out of it without an attenuator, or at least in my case because I use a 2x12 closed back cab with an OD in front.

That said, i'm still selling it because I don't need 50 watts and i'm gravitating more to the modern low wattage lunchbox tube amps.

Comment

Working...
                                X