banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets talk about ALL Mesa Boogies. Come in and brag about you're please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lets talk about ALL Mesa Boogies. Come in and brag about you're please!!!

had a 50 cal. simple but nice tones. it was portable but to get the best tones you had to adjust the single tone stack every time you switched channels-this annoyed me and I sold it
    next Tremoverb combo-this had a cool clean tone-its midrange was kinda lacking and you had to crank it to get the cool clipping tone for distortion so loud I had to sell it.
    next TriAxis gen 2. I still have this but I have to replace a few tubes-It has a cool recto kinda grind. I am not into rack stuff so it sits unused
    next a rocket 440+ - this has 4 jenson 10 inch alnico speakers. The tremolo is good on this amp. The distortion is tight and focused because of the 4 10 inch speakers and the el84 tubes. It has a wonderful tight low end thunk. the secret to this amp is to turn down the treble to 4, up the midrange to 8 or above, turn the bass to 4 and crank up the presence to about 8 or above. you will get both a glorious distortion and a punchy clean tone. This amp to me sounds great with humbuckers. They really sound good with the el84 tubes and 10 inch jenson alnico speakers. This is my favorite boogie amp yet. It does cleans and distortion well and with good reverb and tremolo its a great amp.

Comment

Originally posted by philthis View Post
      had a 50 cal. simple but nice tones. it was portable but to get the best tones you had to adjust the single tone stack every time you switched channels-this annoyed me and I sold it
      Can see that big time! I own a .50 cal + head with the assignable graphic but without the grapic it would be a PITA to run!! I keep mine in the auto mode and set the graphic just for the crunch side and love mine.
      here is a live clip from last Sunday at my Church running just the amp here no effects on at all through my Blackstar 1/12 running a WGS Retro 30 and using my Modern player Tele.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
        I had a Mesa DC-5 that was a killer combo amp! The best part about the amp (to me at least) was the 5 way EQ–could totally transform the amp. Had a clean channel based off of a Mark series and the drive channel was based off of a Rectifer...awesome amp and highly underrated/valued IMO.
        That's what I have. Mine is a wide body combo, but plug it in to a Marshall 4x12 and it is a BEAST. It LOVES emg loaded guitars.
        Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
        I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Comment

I've had a few mesa amps. My first was a 5:50 2x12 combo that I picked up for $200. It sounded great and I liked it, but I traded it after a few days because I didn't need it at the time. I actually traded it for the guitar pictured below.

Last year, I picked up a Stiletto Ace 1x12 combo. I'd wanted one since I played one in Guitar Center when I was like 15. The gain channel was great, but I wasn't in love with the clean channel. So I put it up for sale on CL, but someone offered me this. I couldn't refuse.

It's a early 80's Mark IIB - the extremely rare Coliseum version. 300w of all tube American fury. It's actually at the Mesa factory right now. Since it's at least 30 years old, I figured it was time to get it serviced. I had them replace everything that needed replacing, as well as all new tubes and the installation a reverb tank (my headshell was cut out for one, but it didn't come with one). They also modded it for me to make the clean channel a bit cleaner, which means I can push the lead channel more. Having a shared gain control can be a bit of a pain, but it sounds amazing when you hit it with a boost. This clip was recorded all on the dirty channel - it starts off with the guitar (PRS McCarty w/ Whole Lotta set, D standard) volume down, and I kick on a Green Rhino around :43 as well as turn the guitar up. IIRC the amp was on full power mode around 1.2 on the master. Still obnoxiously loud. I **** you not, gig volume on this thing is 1.8, 2 if you can be loud.

This thing is my baby and I'd hate to be in a position where I needed to sell it. Not just because it'd be a pain to sell because nobody needs a 300w amp, but because it's the best sounding Mesa I've ever played, and I've played a good amount of them.
          Custom neck-thru strat
          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
          1995 PRS CE24
          D'avanzo #8
          Breedlove Solo Concert
          1996 USA Dean Baby Z
          1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
          1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
          Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
            I've had a few mesa amps. My first was a 5:50 2x12 combo that I picked up for $200. It sounded great and I liked it, but I traded it after a few days because I didn't need it at the time. I actually traded it for the guitar pictured below.

Last year, I picked up a Stiletto Ace 1x12 combo. I'd wanted one since I played one in Guitar Center when I was like 15. The gain channel was great, but I wasn't in love with the clean channel. So I put it up for sale on CL, but someone offered me this. I couldn't refuse.

It's a early 80's Mark IIB - the extremely rare Coliseum version. 300w of all tube American fury. It's actually at the Mesa factory right now. Since it's at least 30 years old, I figured it was time to get it serviced. I had them replace everything that needed replacing, as well as all new tubes and the installation a reverb tank (my headshell was cut out for one, but it didn't come with one). They also modded it for me to make the clean channel a bit cleaner, which means I can push the lead channel more. Having a shared gain control can be a bit of a pain, but it sounds amazing when you hit it with a boost. This clip was recorded all on the dirty channel - it starts off with the guitar (PRS McCarty w/ Whole Lotta set, D standard) volume down, and I kick on a Green Rhino around :43 as well as turn the guitar up. IIRC the amp was on full power mode around 1.2 on the master. Still obnoxiously loud. I **** you not, gig volume on this thing is 1.8, 2 if you can be loud.

This thing is my baby and I'd hate to be in a position where I needed to sell it. Not just because it'd be a pain to sell because nobody needs a 300w amp, but because it's the best sounding Mesa I've ever played, and I've played a good amount of them.
            Hate to burst your bubble man, but those coliseum heads are "only" 150-180W from six 6L6s. You're thinking of the Coliseum 300 power amp which runs those same six 6L6s on each side.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

180W is still pretty impressive
              Custom neck-thru strat
              1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
              1995 PRS CE24
              D'avanzo #8
              Breedlove Solo Concert
              1996 USA Dean Baby Z
              1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

I was wondering how all those ponies could fit under that hood. lol

Comment

I don't have any pictures to share at the moment, but I've been playing a Mesa Boogie 50 Cal+ for the past few months and it's ****ing amazing! I'm still running it into my old Peavey Ultra 2x12 combo, which is a mismatch at 16 Ohms (Emailed Mesa and they told me it was safe), but even running through the Ultra's stock speakers the distortion crushing and the cleans are beautiful. It could use a little more gain if you want super heavy tones straight into the amp, but with the EMG 81s in my ESP M-II and my trusty Pigtronix Class A boost, it's not really an issue. If you want Mesa tone and aren't after something specific like a Rectifier or a Mark series, I highly recommend it!
                  Last edited by BartOfDarkness; 08-28-2016, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Nothing to add, except to mention that i am still looking for a used (in my country) Electra Dyne head.
                    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                      180W is still pretty impressive
                      It absolutely is. I passed on a Mark IIC+ Coliseum head priced at $550 in either 2000 or 2001 because it was just insanely loud. That deal really was too good to pass up, at least from a rarity / collector perspective except that I didn't have that kind of extra money back then.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I've got a .50 call, the original with EL84s. I think it's the most versatile amp I own. Clean to rival any Fender, classic rock crunch, hot rod 80s metal, singing leads. Only issue is that it isn't very practical for gigging because you can't easily switch from one sound to another. You'd have to use it in a multi amp setup. But it's perfect for the studio.

Comment

I have a modded MkIII head with two Mark series metal grille 4x12s for the basement studio and a MkIV wide body combo with the Thiele 1x12 EVM12L for the living room. Have had the MkIII for about 15 years and the MkIV for 7 years.

Both are godly and have life-changing properties after about Master Volume of about 3. I also own and enjoy other amps, but they are only mistresses. I am a polygamist married to my two Mesas until death.
                          Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
                          Marshall JVM410H
                          Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                          Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                          ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
                          Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
                          Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
                          Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
                          Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Comment

I thought you guys might enjoy this - I took off work early yesterday to head up to Petaluma and pick up my amp.

Since the amp is 30+ years old, I had them retube and recap as needed. They replaced some pots as well as a bunch of electrolytic caps. I also had them increase the headroom on the clean channel so I can push the shared gain control higher up. On top of that, I had them install a reverb tank. The shell was cut for one and the circuitry was already there, the amp was just missing a tank when I got it.

I can't wait to try this thing out. It's probably just as good as new now, if not better. I can't believe how lucky I am to have one of the rarest Mesa amps out there.

Oh and while I was in the area, I stopped in Santa Rosa and picked up some Russian River beer. I'm not sure if I'm more excited about the beer or the mesa.

Oh and fwiw, a new sextet of mesa 5881s are NOT cheap.
                            Last edited by Agileguy_101; 09-02-2016, 11:17 AM.
                            Custom neck-thru strat
                            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                            1995 PRS CE24
                            D'avanzo #8
                            Breedlove Solo Concert
                            1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

That would've sucked if the amp had slipped right off the back of that sign.

Comment

I'm sure he took his hands away from it reeeaaally slowly.

Comment

Working...
                                X