banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets talk about ALL Mesa Boogies. Come in and brag about you're please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lets talk about ALL Mesa Boogies. Come in and brag about you're please!!!

So, how did their work sound? Were you allowed to take pics inside the building?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      So, how did their work sound? Were you allowed to take pics inside the building?
      I haven't yet had a chance to find out. I'm going to test it out today though.
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

So the Coliseum is now even more my favorite amp ever. Now, you can actually get a pretty pristine clean and super gainy lead tone. I'll report more later, but I love it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
        Custom neck-thru strat
        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
        1995 PRS CE24
        D'avanzo #8
        Breedlove Solo Concert
        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
          So the Coliseum is now even more my favorite amp ever. Now, you can actually get a pretty pristine clean and super gainy lead tone. I'll report more later, but I love it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
          Beautiful. Happy it worked for you!
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I completely forgot about this thread.

I met Randall Smith over the summer and he signed my Coliseum 300 power amp. We talked for a while and really hit it off. I'd love to work there but I don't think they pay much and I can't stand California. :/
            For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

My issue with Mesas is I like their clean and cleanish tone (slightly hairy), but not a fan of their high and super gain tones -I associate too many scooped alternative and NU metal tones with it.

Gives me PTSD
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

So, you are saying you listen to a lot of scooped-mids Nu-metal bands. Interesting...I'm holding that against you, not Mesa.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  So, you are saying you listen to a lot of scooped-mids Nu-metal bands. Interesting...I'm holding that against you, not Mesa.
                  I've always run from them -it's the worst. they just happened to be everywhere in 90s and 00s
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                    I've always run from them -it's the worst. they just happened to be everywhere in 90s and 00s
                    Weren't they used by more than a few Thrash and Death metals bands too?
                    And please, don't lump them in with Nu-Metal.
                    And as a final note, I seem to recall Petrucci using a Dual Rec at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                      Weren't they used by more than a few Thrash and Death metals bands too?
                      And please, don't lump them in with Nu-Metal.
                      And as a final note, I seem to recall Petrucci using a Dual Rec at some point.
                      Yes, to be clear -I wasn't implying Thrash and Death of that era -they know how to use the mid knob.

-but Mesa's default high gain 90s tripo recto sound was used soooo much for sooo much bad -I just have to run.

That said, I like the cleans and those J8/P90 slightly hairy cleans people got during that era.

Comment

I've used some nice sounding Single and Dual Recs, tried a Triple Rec once and didn't like it, just way too much, might as well be using Solid State at that point, you're not going to get a Triple to break a sweat at decent jet engine volume levels.

Comment

Owned several over the years own a Subway Rocket 1/10 combo and a DC 5 head now. Have had a love hate relationship with Boogies for years.
                          Finally think I have a pair I am really happy with and both are similar in tones. A small combo in the 1/10 Subway Rocket for situations where I need volume control and something easy to carry the DC 5 head and a cab for bigger places and I am running the same pedal board for both.
                          The little combo in particular drops jaws regularly with the miced tones in the FOH from a tiny 1/10 combo running at very low stage volume.
                          Example
                          Last edited by Ascension; 01-22-2020, 09:54 AM.
                          Guitars
                          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

My favorite thing about Mesa is their features and form factors -they have always been more in tune with players in general...

I'm too old to mess with cheaper amps, and don't want to tour with Vintage amps or overly expensive ones either.

I mean look at this Mark V 35/10 watt selection multichannel, footswitch, 5 band graphic, onboard boost, reverb, effects loop, cabclone output with open, closed simulation select

In only an 18x18x11 44 lb form factor made with Aluminum chassis! that to me is very high end gigging small combo all in one with everything -you can get this one used for $1000-1500

I wish Marshall would make a vintage plexi circuit and celestion speaker reissue with these features and smaller size I'd own 2 of them.

Last edited by NegativeEase; 01-22-2020, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                              Owned several over the years own a Subway Rocket 1/10 combo and a DC 5 head now. Have had a love hate relationship with Boogies for years.
                              Finally think I have a pair I am really happy with and both are similar in tones. A small combo in the 1/10 Subway Rocket for situations where I need volume control and something easy to carry the DC 5 head and a cab for bigger places and I am running the same pedal board for both.
                              The little combo in particular drops jaws regularly with the miced tones in the FOH from a tiny 1/10 combo running at very low stage volume.
                              Example
                              Ascension, can you give me some pros and cons compared to other amps you've liked?

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                                Ascension, can you give me some pros and cons compared to other amps you've liked?
                                Mesa's can be fickle and hard to dial in for one. They also have a stiffer feel and are rather unforgiving. That takes some adjustment for someone like me who plays so much by feel and will use volume and touch to clean up most of the time rather than hitting a channel switch. They feel completely differently than say a Marshall or something like my PRS MT 15 does and that took some getting used to.
                                Positives are they really do sound good in an over all mix once you do dial them in and the build quality is absolutely bullet proof. While a Boogie is no where near as organic and touch sensitive raw as some other amps they work extremely well when you add effects in particular in the loop. Boogies seem to like the high tec tones with Dimarzio or active pickups and effects. They do that thing as well as anything out there. Amps like my PRS, Zinky or a Marshall are much better for the more organic raw tones so different tools for different jobs.
                                Last edited by Ascension; 01-22-2020, 02:05 PM.
                                Guitars
                                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                                X