No announcement yet.

Your gear (all of it) does NOT matter !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your gear (all of it) does NOT matter !

YUP, it is true . . . Tom says so

"My take on gear is that is does not matter at all, ever, in any circumstance."
    Last edited by SirJackdeFuzz; 09-07-2016, 02:52 AM. Reason: . . . typos :(
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Re: Your gear (all of it) does NOT matter !

I recall David Gilmore once said there was no critical key ingredient to his sound. He just uses whatever is around at the time and can still get his sound.

Comment

Well it does not...but what is the news in that??

Comment

The thing is... He's right. I find a way to dial in my sound with anything I play through. Sure, you can get different textures with different gear, but it's amazing how much of it comes down to how you dial in the gear.
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by That90'sGuy View Post
          The thing is... He's right. I find a way to dial in my sound with anything I play through. Sure, you can get different textures with different gear, but it's amazing how much of it comes down to how you dial in the gear.
          Exactly! Hand me any guitar & any amp, and I'll still get my sound out of it.
          Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

I love how he immediately contradicts himself by saying the composition of his songs would be different with different gear.

Comment

“My take on gear is that it does not matter — at all — ever — in any circumstance... If we had had this gear that we sound bad on today, we would have written different songs that sound great on this gear.’”

Lets see how exactly the same he sounds without his whammy pedal, his distortion turned off and playing through a hardtail guitar.

If he can do that, then I will buy his statement about gear not making a difference in any circumstance, that he seemingly unwittingly defeated himself.
              Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 09-07-2016, 10:51 AM.

Comment

ive heard that. i saw him play acoustic and it was awful.

Comment

I'm not taking him literally. He's presenting a paradox by essentially stating that gear matters, but gear doesn't matter.

My interpretation of what he's saying is that if I had a Strat and a Deluxe, I would write music that sounded good on a Strat and Deluxe... and if I had a Les Paul and Marshall, I would write music that sounded good on a Les Paul and Marshall.

Gear matters.... but it doesn't matter.
                  || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
                    “My take on gear is that it does not matter — at all — ever — in any circumstance... If we had had this gear that we sound bad on today, we would have written different songs that sound great on this gear.’”

Lets see how exactly the same he sounds without his whammy pedal, his distortion turned off and playing through a hardtail guitar.
                    I play Morello solos all the time on my Les Paul without a Whammy pedal. Since I'm tuned down to B, it doesn't sound the same; I just "get the point across" by playing the same sequence of notes, except a few octaves down.
                    Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

I play my ukulele through a mic into My First Sony. I sound just like Stevie Van Hendrix.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Wes Montgomy+++
                        He said one box is as good as any so if his got stolen he would have no problem...
                        Gear matters but way less than most people think.
                        Last edited by backporchpicker; 09-07-2016, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
                          I'm not taking him literally. He's presenting a paradox by essentially stating that gear matters, but gear doesn't matter.

My interpretation of what he's saying is that if I had a Strat and a Deluxe, I would write music that sounded good on a Strat and Deluxe... and if I had a Les Paul and Marshall, I would write music that sounded good on a Les Paul and Marshall.

That is roughly how i understood it aswell.
                          Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post

Yes but No... wait... I mean No but Yes... you know what I mean right?
                            Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by baritone View Post
                              I play Morello solos all the time on my Les Paul without a Whammy pedal. Since I'm tuned down to B, it doesn't sound the same; I just "get the point across" by playing the same sequence of notes, except a few octaves down.
                              A few octaves down eh? Yeah i bet Rage sounds pretty cool at the inaudible sub sub bass level.
                              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Working...
                              X