No announcement yet.

Your gear (all of it) does NOT matter !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your gear (all of it) does NOT matter !

Originally posted by mantis View Post
    He's a Clown and here's why I feel that way.
    I've been playing since 1979 so I know a thing or 2 about playing and gear. I'm also a Technician and understand signal flow. I grew up in a musical family and been around music since birth.
    Gear matters. They are tools to help you create or re create music. That's like saying to a Mechanic Tools don't matter. A Mechanic needs special tools to his job. Not any tool will do the job.
    A Fender Twin reverb has probably hands down the best sounding cleans in the world. That kind of tone free's you and allow you to write songs that express how you feel not be tied down to an amp that can't express what you feel inside.
    Same goes with a guitar. Some guitars feel good in your hands and some don't. Some sound the way you want them 2 and some don't. Personally if the guitar I'm playing doesn't take to me , I lose interest in playing.
    Effects are a way to create what you feel and need to make the sound the way you want it. How can that not matter? This is a stupid comment.

If your a gear snob then so be it ,thats your choice. If you feel you need a wall of ENGL amps to create your sound then so be it. I really don't care what anyone uses. All gear is just tools to get the job done no matter how you feel about it. To say in any way it doesn't matter sounds like clown stuff. Everything matters from the pick you use, the strings you feel are right, the guitar in your hand, the chords to plug it in, the effects out front , the preamp the loop and the effects in there and the power amp right down to the speakers inside the cabinet. If you think none of this matters then so be it. Go play whatever and make whatever music out of whatever you want. Still doesn't matter to me. What matters to me is my sound , my music and my gear.
    He wasn't literally saying gear doesn't matter at all. The original poster just framed it that way and you might find he would agree with what you said. They are tools. It's just about keeping things in perspective and not putting the cart before the horse.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
      He wasn't literally saying gear doesn't matter at all. The original poster just framed it that way and you might find he would agree with what you said. They are tools. It's just about keeping things in perspective and not putting the cart before the horse.
      Exactly... Gear helps shape the sound, but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what brand name is on it or how much you pay for it. or also, I sometimes see people look down on other for having certain pedals (like EQ) like its a shortcut. As long as you get your sound, it doesn't matter how you do it. There are no wrong answers as long as you are happy with it. That's what Morello is trying to say.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisDyingSoul76 View Post
        Exactly... Gear helps shape the sound, but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what brand name is on it or how much you pay for it. or also, I sometimes see people look down on other for having certain pedals (like EQ) like its a shortcut. As long as you get your sound, it doesn't matter how you do it. There are no wrong answers as long as you are happy with it. That's what Morello is trying to say.
        Clowns do such things.

Comment

Clowns do such things.
          Which things?
          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

Gear matters. They are tools to help you create or re create music. That's like saying to a Mechanic Tools don't matter. A Mechanic needs special tools to his job. Not any tool will do the job.
            Hoorah! Way to totally miss the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't care if I need them or not. New toys are fun

Comment

I use the gear that gets the sound I like, and makes me feel good because Of the way it looks and performs. Our eyes and the impression gear makes also affects our enjoyment with using it. So the gear does make a difference as it also affects our attitude and how we play.

Comment

I'm a very "plug-in-and-go" type guy. I hate spending hours tweaking tones and stuff, if I can get a working sound in about 5 minutes (if even that when bands soundcheck) live I'll stick with that and play the show, and just enjoy it. I like reliable gear that just works for what sound I need.

Comment

Originally posted by Dahla View Post
                    Hoorah! Way to totally miss the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    So if I missed the point then what is the point of making an opening state like that one?

Comment

So if I missed the point then what is the point of making an opening state like that one?
                      The point is that certain gear will influence the music you write - writing metal on a Tele and a Twin or country on a Soldano Avenger and a Jackson, for example - but the specifics that we fixate on all too often don't really matter.
                      Custom neck-thru strat
                      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                      1995 PRS CE24
                      D'avanzo #8
                      Breedlove Solo Concert
                      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Half of you are half right,
                        The other half of you are half wrong.
                        Example: Mike Bloomfield, arguably one of the best white blues player ever, sounded and played awful with his Tele, in my opinion, and when he finally got his Les Paul, his sound and playing changed so radically he became a whole new guitarist, and at the time, he was leading the pack with Clapton just behind him.
                        In fact, in a recent article, they both said about the same thing about each other. NOW, to be clear, I know M.Bloomfield had drug problems, but before it got the best of him, he went back to a Strat and Tele for a couple of albums, and he sounded like ****, his hands must have felt awful on those 7.5 radius necks, and his sweetness and they way he caressed the strings changed completely.
                        So yeah, I think gear mattered a lot. In his case. And yes, he did not obsess over it, once he got that "Super Session" tone, he stayed with it. So yes and no. Bloomfield is a great example.
                        This is my unshakable opinion; opinion being the operative word.
                        And I admit to being guilty of wanting more gear than I need, I just enjoy the hunt. I am one who talks more than he should, and plays (practice) less than he should. I get excited when I buy a pedal I have been studying for months. I get enthused and play more for a month or two, as I am careful in my choices. This is me talking too much.
                        Sincerely hope you understood me.
                        Steve B.

Comment

Originally posted by SJ318 View Post
                          Half of you are half right,
                          The other half of you are half wrong.
                          Example: Mike Bloomfield, arguably one of the best white blues player ever, sounded and played awful with his Tele, in my opinion, and when he finally got his Les Paul, his sound and playing changed so radically he became a whole new guitarist, and at the time, he was leading the pack with Clapton just behind him.
                          In fact, in a recent article, they both said about the same thing about each other. NOW, to be clear, I know M.Bloomfield had drug problems, but before it got the best of him, he went back to a Strat and Tele for a couple of albums, and he sounded like ****, his hands must have felt awful on those 7.5 radius necks, and his sweetness and they way he caressed the strings changed completely.
                          So yeah, I think gear mattered a lot. In his case. And yes, he did not obsess over it, once he got that "Super Session" tone, he stayed with it. So yes and no. Bloomfield is a great example.
                          This is my unshakable opinion; opinion being the operative word.
                          And I admit to being guilty of wanting more gear than I need, I just enjoy the hunt. I am one who talks more than he should, and plays (practice) less than he should. I get excited when I buy a pedal I have been studying for months. I get enthused and play more for a month or two, as I am careful in my choices. This is me talking too much.
                          Sincerely hope you understood me.
                          Steve B.
                          It matters up to a point, then it absolutely doesn't. Get it right, finish your soup and play that sh!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Lampy H View Post
                            You play better when you enjoy the sound coming out of the amp.
                            I agree, but you could also look at it this way:
                            When you play better you enjoy the sound coming out of the amp.
                            Last edited by Chickenwings; 09-15-2016, 04:04 PM.
                            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I'm going to start a new humanitarian organization. Gearjunkie Lives Matter. I'm going to insist that Tom Morello support my cause and donate his 30M.
                              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

This is a stupid thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X