banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for a new Guitar - PRS SE 245 Vs Epi Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a new Guitar - PRS SE 245 Vs Epi Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro?

Hey!

I picked up my first electric back in 2012, an LTD EC50. The pickups were quite poor so I swapped them out for Seymour Duncan 59's a few months ago. Its been a great workhorse until now, but the electronics have gone haywire over the past month so I'm looking to upgrade, something that's been on my mind for a few months.

I live in India, and over here, Prices are high, choices are slim, and the used market is non-existent! So I really don't have many options. I Found out that the only guitar store that sells Epis in the whole city is LP Plustop Pro for about $650 equivalent and a PRS SE 245 for a little more than $600 equivalent. I plan to swap out the existing pickups with the 59's I own.

I mostly play clean and crunch tones, mostly rhythms as I'm a vocalist as well, its not too often that I play high gain lead guitar but its definitely something I'd want to get into soon!
    I use a Laney Modeling Amp, and Ive managed to dial in some good tones that I can get out of it.

I'd like to know what you guys would recommend!
    Thanks!

Re: Time for a new Guitar - PRS SE 245 Vs Epi Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro?

They're both nice instruments, and a pair of 59s would be awesome in each. Sit & play both specimens unplugged for a while. See which one feels & sounds better to you. I would consider those 2 guitars to be equivalent alternatives to each other, & it comes down to which one feels better in your hands. Also, are you ok with the fixed intonation of the PRS's bridge?
    Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

While both of those are nice choices, you can save a lot by upgrading the electronics in your LTD to fix the issues. Good quality pots and switch go a long way, actually.

Comment

The one thing that's holding me back on upgrading my LTD again is the fact that I've already put in $250 worth of upgrades into it (pickups and locking tuners). The whole guitar was $200 new.

Comment

Yeah, and? If you are happy with how it plays and the electronics are the only thing that need to be "fixed", shoot, go that route. Who cares what it cost new. What matters is how it plays / sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by baritone View Post
            They're both nice instruments, and a pair of 59s would be awesome in each. Sit & play both specimens unplugged for a while. See which one feels & sounds better to you. I would consider those 2 guitars to be equivalent alternatives to each other, & it comes down to which one feels better in your hands. Also, are you ok with the fixed intonation of the PRS's bridge?
            I've read up on the fixed intonation bridge and it seems as though it's hit or miss depending on the strings that are being used. I use 11's on my guitar. I'm guessing that it won't be too noticeable of an issue considering that quite a few people seem satisfied with it. I also assume that a simple bridge swap could solve the issue if required.

Comment

I personally think the PRS SE 245 is a better guitar. I have owned both.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
                I personally think the PRS SE 245 is a better guitar. I have owned both.
                +1. I also have never had an issue with the wraparound bridge, believe it or not and I'm a drop tuner. Go with the PRS, it's a better built guitar period.
                -Mike-

Originally posted by rhymes with metalchurch79
                I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Comment

Originally posted by timarp000 View Post
                  The one thing that's holding me back on upgrading my LTD again is the fact that I've already put in $250 worth of upgrades into it (pickups and locking tuners). The whole guitar was $200 new.
                  I'd spend about $30 on a solder iron and a can of electronics cleaner, then spend a few minutes watching youtube.

Chances are you won't need to buy any hardware, the electronics in a passive guitar are pretty robust. You most likely have connection issues which are easy.... easy to fix.

Other than that, if you want to buy another guitar, just to buy another guitar, spend some time with those two you mentioned & take home the one you like. I personally think I would like the fatter body/neck on the Epi, but some people like girly guitars like the 245. (just kidding).

Comment

To avoid misconceptions, the necks on the PRS 245's are fatter than the Epi Les Pauls. The 245's body is a tiny bit thicker than the Epi Les Paul as well.

Comment

If it's between those two and you're changing the pickups anyway I would say the Epiphone. BUT really I would pick the cheaper (PRS SE are w more expensive than epis in the U.K.) PRS as they're the better guitar. I have an epiphone with 59s in and in the neck at least i wasn't keen on it. Too bright actually. So I changed the neck pickup to a pearly gates. I also have a Bernie Marsden model that is stock. I'm very happy with the sound of it as is. I'm not changing those pickups anytime soon. The Bernie has the same pickups as the 245 i think the main difference is the neck shape and number of knobs.

Comment

Originally posted by plasticscouse View Post
                        I have an epiphone with 59s in and in the neck at least i wasn't keen on it.

I much prefer Epi LP's, over imported PRS. I've had Gibson '57's in a couple guitars, and quickly yanked them out; they sound terrible. Just about any other PAF is an improvement. I like the Probuckers in LP Std's and Customs.
                        Last edited by blueman335; 09-27-2016, 06:10 PM.
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

five years ago, I would have said to go with the PRS SE. But in the last couple of years, the new Epiphones I've played in shops have been really good. One I played had a sort of satin finished neck, which felt really good, and seemed to negate that negative poly finish feel you sometimes get from an import.

I had a PRS SE singlecut a while back, and it was a very good guitar, so you won't go wrong either way. But if you're going more for something closer to Gibson spec, the Epi is probably closer. Go used, whichever way you go, and you won't lose any money if you change your mind.

(BTW, the shop I frequent had an epi Les Paul in the most amazing red colour I've ever seen...If they painted a Gibson that colour, they wouldn't be able to make enough to meet demand)

Comment

If it's just the electronics, pots switch jack that can be easily replaced. You have any ways replaced the pups with 59s. And the guitar has worked well for you. Maybe the electronics just need alittle contact cleaners. I totally understand your sentiments on gear available out here but it the situation today is much better than it was 10 to 15 years back.

If it is GAS then hmm ..... we all suffer from that.

Sent from my SM-J200G using Tapatalk
                            sigpic
                            Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                            JFG Flying V,
                            "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                            John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

How do the Cort CR Custom models fare compared to these Epiphone stuff in build & finish? Those cort models are mostly low priced considering they include duncan 59 & JB models in them but haven't seen one in person. I have a Cort G250 model thats not all that good finish wise but plays good & was too cheap new.

Anyways I do have an old korean prs se Cu22 now that I enjoy playing but since the production has moved to Indonesia, I wonder if the prices have dropped too on them lately.

I saw the Epi Ultra (#3 model maybe?) in store once, seemed well made build wise, never got to plug it in though. Also seen some Gibson models, also which I never got to play

Comment

Working...
                              X