banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I'm a bass player now! And Bass DI owner...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm a bass player now! And Bass DI owner...

Looks like I volunteered to play bass and do vocals on "Strutter" by KISS at the Dean Owners open house...

On that note, I got an APeg SCR-DI to run into my little PA to practice. LOVE it! I really listened to clips with and without overdrive. I am probably a 90% of the time pristine clean guy. But I see how a little growl and hair adds a nice gruffness to the tone. So I really wanted a DI that had the option to go dirt or not.

That pretty much meant MXR M80 or Ampeg SCR. As much as I dug the Tech 21 Bass Driver, and the VT Bass, they had one sound without changing the knobs.

Anyway, I went with the Ampeg SCR-DI. I really like the clean tone, especially with ultra low and high engaged. I also love all the out options. I can use it straight to the board (most likely), into an amp, both, or even as a private practice amp with headphones. PERFECT!!!

Now - back to Strutter. That Gene guy, he doesn't sit still on a root note. Moving all over. Serious PITA to hit all those notes and sing!!!!! I'm not gonna play it note for - but I'll try. 3 weeks until gig.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: So I'm a bass player now! And Bass DI owner...

Cool, have fun! I'll have to check out that DI.

Personally I have much more fun being a bassist than a guitarist. But do you have an Axe bass?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I miss playing bass sometimes. Back in college I played bass in a band with some friends. We gigged around some and had fun. That benefited my skill at rhythm guitar so much. But man, it was fun playing bass.

Comment

'Aceman' ... big KISS fanatic.... you better learn it note for note!
        TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

that di is cool. the distortion is kinda bland but very functional

Comment

I've been finding some nice gritty places on it. Not distortion per se, but definitely a little dirty....

It was really tough shopping for DI's. I almost went eden World Tour because it had a compressor and expander...I think the IDEAL DI would be:

Clean with bass/mid/treble
            Cool tone shaper switch (Slap, deep, mid shift, etc...)
            Distortion - that ran from OD to fuzz, with blend, and maybe a presence or something else that kicked in when you went distortion
            Compression

I'm sure there is such a thing, and that it is expensive! I guess Sansamp + distortion pedal + EQ pedal + compressor would do all that....

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
              'Aceman' ... big KISS fanatic.... you better learn it note for note!
              Play it, vs Perform it, vs Perform and Sing....I'm not optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                Play it, vs Perform it, vs Perform and Sing....I'm not optimistic.
                Are you singing the verses too or just the chorus? Paul actually has lead vocals on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  I've been finding some nice gritty places on it. Not distortion per se, but definitely a little dirty....

It was really tough shopping for DI's. I almost went eden World Tour because it had a compressor and expander...I think the IDEAL DI would be:

Clean with bass/mid/treble
                  Cool tone shaper switch (Slap, deep, mid shift, etc...)
                  Distortion - that ran from OD to fuzz, with blend, and maybe a presence or something else that kicked in when you went distortion
                  Compression

I'm sure there is such a thing, and that it is expensive! I guess Sansamp + distortion pedal + EQ pedal + compressor would do all that....
                  Sansamp Bass Driver DI has a lot of what you're looking for. Good amplike OD/distortion, blend control, three user presets that include your EQ settings, not too expensive and small enough to fit in the pocket of a gig bag. No mode switch or compressor but you can get spank or deep or grit or rubber from it. My only gripe with mine is that it doesn't have a midrange knob- the newer V2 version has a sweep freq mid control. I got mine new coupla years ago for $140, the new one is around $200.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                    Are you singing the verses too or just the chorus? Paul actually has lead vocals on it.
                    Lead vocal.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                      Sansamp Bass Driver DI has a lot of what you're looking for. Good amplike OD/distortion, blend control, three user presets that include your EQ settings, not too expensive and small enough to fit in the pocket of a gig bag. No mode switch or compressor but you can get spank or deep or grit or rubber from it. My only gripe with mine is that it doesn't have a midrange knob- the newer V2 version has a sweep freq mid control. I got mine new coupla years ago for $140, the new one is around $200.
                      Yeah - that was definitely on my list. Three presets was cool, but that was one more than I needed. Price went up. as you said - miss....It was very close, but didn't quite make by by. being both more and less of what I wanted.

Comment

OK - this is going better than I thought. Groovy groove on that tune!

Comment

That was part of the appeal of Kiss.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you need to change your handle to Geneman?

I find it eminently satisfying to create bass parts but I definitely prefer playing guitar.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                            My Music

Comment

You know, I have always dabbled in bass...but mostly laying around gear here and there.

I always think I right songs on bass more so than guitar. I just here the structure in bass lines instead of riffs.

Comment

Working...
                              X