Pointy basses that aren't horrible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pointy basses that aren't horrible

Aesthetically I just find pointy basses (and guitars) to be really annoying, like they're saying "LOOK AT ME." I prefer the classic looks of Fender, Gibson, and Gretsch.
    '69 Fender Mustang bass
    '69 Gibson EB-1
    '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
    '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
    '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
    '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
    '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
    '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

I think I like pointy guitars in part because some other people find them annoying. In particular I like the warlock shaped body and of course Gene's axe bass.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

You've got a point (no pun intended).

Pointy guitars invariably point me away from music I would invariably find pointedly annoying.
        '69 Fender Mustang bass
        '69 Gibson EB-1
        '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
        '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz

Comment

Exactly. Because that's the sort of music that is supposed to piss you off at the least, and maybe even cause physical pain at the best.

Comment

I think the closest I come to liking and really wanting a pointy is a BC Rich Mockingbird... or the aforementioned Iceman. Even then, it'd have to sound reallllly good for me to pull the trigger on it.
            "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Exactly. Because that's the sort of music that is supposed to piss you off at the least, and maybe even cause physical pain at the best.
              We have obviously have very different ideas about the role of music and the purpose it should serve. Inspiring one to look at the world differently, questions ideas, and yes--rebel against what we believe is wrong is one thing. But saying that the purpose is to piss people off and inflict possible pain is childish. Just like pointy guitars.
              '69 Fender Mustang bass
              '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Well, I never said that it was the point of all music. But certainly the type of music that is played on pointy instruments. I would add that it's not so much childish as adolescent. And for some, cathartic. Or maybe just sadistic. So be it.

Comment

Thrash, it's pretty much like saying about as much sh17 as you want, all the shizz you hate and or get mad at, and make people mad (either by understanding you and getting mad at the same thing you get mad or getting mad at you for criticising whatever you just criticized) pointy instruments are a big part of it

Click image for larger version

Name:	rockombia-sodom12-03.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	5796455

angelripper with a neat small bodied explorer bass

Comment

Well, I never said that it was the point of all music. But certainly the type of music that is played on pointy instruments. I would add that it's not so much childish as adolescent. And for some, cathartic. Or maybe just sadistic. So be it.
                    OK--adolescent is a better word.

And if it's sadistic, I'd say that the point isn't being made with those to whom the sadism is directed: They simply ignore it. In their world that music is insignificant: it doesn't matter enough for an outsider to care.

Originally posted by EDX View Post
                    Thrash, it's pretty much like saying about as much sh17 as you want, all the shizz you hate and or get mad at, and make people mad (either by understanding you and getting mad at the same thing you get mad or getting mad at you for criticising whatever you just criticized)
                    Trying to follow this, but again, the result is the same: It's unsuccessful in terms of getting any message across to anyone who isn't part of the "choir" (as in preaching to the choir). People not into it generally don't get "mad" regarding this sort of thing because they don't hear it: They'd never bother. If the mission is to make some statement or point, it fails (miserably).

Originally posted by EDX View Post
                    pointy instruments are a big part of it
                    Exactly. They're a great stop sign.

So be it.
                    '69 Fender Mustang bass
                    '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Yes, but those of us who do hear it, because we go out of our way to do so, do feel the pain. I've spent hours to days to years with ringing in my ears from various metal shows. Not to mention injuries incurred in the pit. But then, I asked for it.

Comment

I dunno man, explorers and warriors are far more comfy to me than any LP. Strats, super and otherwise are OK, teles too, but I just find them uninspiring. Something about that big tail end just feels right to me.

Most of the pointy basses I've messed with are typically low end junk. BC rich stuff comes to mind. Horrible. I played around with an early 80's epiphone explorer that had the batwing headstock and what looked (and sounded like) regular guitar humbuckers in it. I liked that one, but the dude wanted way too much for it.

Has anyone played a newer explorer bass?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0363.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	5796464
                          Cronos with an Ibanez Destroyer. I believe Mike D'Antonio from Killswitch Engage also uses a Destroyer bass
                          Epiphone Explorer w/ SD Distortions
                          Charvel Desolation Soloist w/ EMG 81/85
                          Squier Standard HH Strat

Comment

Yes, but those of us who do hear it, because we go out of our way to do so, do feel the pain. I've spent hours to days to years with ringing in my ears from various metal shows. Not to mention injuries incurred in the pit. But then, I asked for it.
                            So then this isn't sadism at all: It's masochism.
                            '69 Fender Mustang bass
                            '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

The ESP and higher end LTD basses with a pointy design sound great.
                              The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
                                Trying to follow this, but again, the result is the same: It's unsuccessful in terms of getting any message across to anyone who isn't part of the "choir" (as in preaching to the choir). People not into it generally don't get "mad" regarding this sort of thing because they don't hear it: They'd never bother. If the mission is to make some statement or point, it fails (miserably).
                                Unlike most other genres, Metal isn't typically out to win friends and influence people; it is, in fact, mostly about "preaching to the choir". Someone sings a song about a subject that affects or has affected them personally, and those who have a similar experience can relate. Those who have either not had said similar experience, or who have but moved beyond it through other means, won't feel the connection, because it would seem more like wallowing in the experience rather than moving beyond it.

However, I have never had the urge to join, or saw the logic behind, a mosh pit. I've heard various attempts to justify it - blowing off steam, music makes me want to move, etc etc - but I just don't see it. Then again, I'm never more than 3 seconds away from going Clockwork Orange, so maybe that has something to do with not seeing the "fun" in violence.

Blame Gibson R&D for the "pointy" love, starting with the V and Explorer in the 50s.

While tame by today's standards, they were radical BITD. Even the SG was considered "pointy" when it came out.

Jerry Garcia's custom SG-looking thing is sometimes referenced in a "pointy guitars you like" thread every once in a while because of the horns.
                                Originally posted by Brown Note
                                I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                                My Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X