Pointy basses that aren't horrible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pointy basses that aren't horrible

I could, but then, the neck would be worth far more than the body. Like I said before, we're not talking Fender here, or even Ibanez or Yamaha. It's an old Johnson that couldn't have cost more than $100 brand new.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Ah...pity

Comment

It was given to me about 10 years ago. I used it to practice both my playing and modding skills. Like I said, it's served it's purpose.

Comment

you could still practice modding skills with a home made refret, nothing serious to lose, anyway knowing how to refret is a useful skill, even if you end up doing a bad fret work you can always refret the thing send it to get a fret dress

Comment

I could, but the neck on the other bass is fine, so it's just easier to swap the pickup and bridge over on to it than to mess with a re-fret.

Comment

Or just yank the frets off, and glue in maple veneer, to give you fret lines...fretless sound, but you still know where you are.
              "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Seem more trouble than it's worth.

Comment

*shrug* It's pretty easy to do, and if you screw it up, you're already considering tossing the whole kit'n'caboodle. Nothing to lose.
                  "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Nothing but time. As I said, I already have a plan and the means to achieve it. All I need is a new set of strings.

Comment

• Re: Pointy basses that aren't horrible

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                      I would buy that in a heartbeat. Especially with that pickup configuration and bridge.
                      And I'd wire it up with a 5 way
                      Neck pickup
                      Outside coils in series
                      Both pickups
                      Inside coils in parallel
                      Bridge pickup
                      That would be after I swapped the stock pups for Q-Pounders.

I can't afford it, so it might was well be yours!!

Comment

uh you can always drip some epoxy there, mix some epoxy paint on the holes left by the frets, then just put an epoxy clear coat over the whole thing, it might as well take you what? half an hour on just mixing and applying epoxy plus a couple hours while it dries, and is a nice experiment

Comment

A bit out of my price range.

Comment

I have a Charvel 2B. Now, Im not a big Bass guy, so Im sure Im not an expert on basses, but I have tried bunches over the years, and this one is a very good player and sounds great too. Of course the pups were upgraded when I got it with Dimarzios.
                            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by probo_squad_henry View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]75715[/ATTACH]
                              Cronos with an Ibanez Destroyer. I believe Mike D'Antonio from Killswitch Engage also uses a Destroyer bass
                              Mike D has a sig model Destroyer
                              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                                I once saw a guy in a C&W/Southern Rock band playing a Pepto-Bismol Pink Jackson Rhoads. It was a righty, he was a lefty.

Pointy geetars ain't just for moshing.

Scott Ian used a Custom Jackson that looked like an LP Jr for a decade or more. Decidedly not pointy.

And Metal isn't an STD, though if you did wind up in the sack with a Metal chick (and survived) there's a 50/50 chance of "turning".

At its core, Metal isn't all that different from most other genres: Sinatra sang about life, love, Lady Luck, and being your own man. Jazz does the same thing. C&W does the same thing. HipHop and Reggae do as well, though they do acknowledge political issues directly.

The "problem" with Metal started when the Punks got into it and brought with them their "violence for the sake of violence", nonsensical screaming at the top of their lungs, and speed for speed's sake. Then a few of the more technically minded and self-absorbed turned it into an Olympic event.
                                Still others turned it into a Machismo competition.
                                Let's not even discuss the Clowns with the growling and corpsepaint.

However, I've yet to hear someone like Sinatra, George Jones, or Sir Mix-A-Lot take on classic literature like the Charge of the Light Brigade, Icarus and Daedalus, the Norse invasion of Saxony, classic Hammer films, post-apocalyptic life, Science Fiction in general, or even modern works like The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner, much less modern politics, the issues of medical incompetence and malpractice, the attempted political revolution in China's Tiananmen Square, the collapse of the American Farm, or the threat of Nuclear War. Even RUSH covered similar topics, and they're not considered "Metal" by most people.

The "face" of Metal is noise and violence. The core of Metal is musicianship and technical ability that is reminiscent of Classical, coming from people who were largely self-taught, and that's more the rule than the exception. While most of the top-ranked Jazz musicians have a College degree in music on their wall, a larger percentage of Metal musicians have the albums they learned from on theirs. While the typical Metalhead can't read sheet music, many can create a Classically-themed guitar solo on the fly that is equal in technicality and compositional form to the works of Beethoven, Chopin, or Mozart, and again, they learned it from listening, not by being told.

Few Metal players move on to Jazz, but those that do, and do so via traditional School Of Music (Berkely, etc) tend to fare better than those without a background in a similarly technical genre. Andy Timmons and Alex Skolnick are two names that come to mind. Both were considered Metal shred kings in their day, and later made their mark in the Jazz/Fusion world.

Most Metal players aren't afraid to embrace different genres, but I still find the same old prejudices in nearly every other genre, even against non-Metal. C&W is too simplistic for a Jazz bassist. Jazz is too busy for a C&W player. Blues doesn't venture out of its little box. None of them do. How long did it take Fusion to get any respect from both Jazz and Rock circles? Even Prog rockers - who share more with Fusion than any other genre - were against it. "If you're going to play Jazz, play Jazz" they said.

Meanwhile, Metal has more branches than a California Redwood.
                                It's truly the Tree of Life.
                                >>>> Stands in front of computer and applauds....<<<<<<<

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                                X