banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bass home recording: DI Box vs Real Amp DI ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bass home recording: DI Box vs Real Amp DI ?

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
    They only used the more modern techniques when they were using the best drummer in the Beatles (who we all know wasn't Ringo).
    Haha! The "Best." Their first drummer probably wasn't their "Best" friend after they kicked him out.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Well, the guy is right to a certain extent because for a while they did just record the drums mono. That said, I find his mixes to be terrible and he basically mixes everything for mono which to me sounds poor at best. Like I said, I think laziness is involved to an extent.
      Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
      Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
      Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
      Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
      Line 6 Helix
      Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
        Well, the guy is right to a certain extent because for a while they did just record the drums mono. That said, I find his mixes to be terrible and he basically mixes everything for mono which to me sounds poor at best. Like I said, I think laziness is involved to an extent.
        IF ONLY I TRACKED WITH A VINTAGE N3V3 CONS0AL BRUH! THAT WOULD FIX MY DEFICIENCES IN CAPTURING GOOD SOUND!
        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Except they didn't use just one mic.
          One guy in class insists on using one mic to record drums mono.
          sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
          - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
            Except they didn't use just one mic.
            I meant that they had recorded drums mono at one point.

But as I say, I'm also not defending him either. I think his mixes sound terrible. He tried to "fix" the programmed drums I did for another song and completely ruined the entire track (thank god I had already saved the session to a flash drive).
            Last edited by Johnny the Kid; 04-20-2017, 07:33 PM.
            Line 6 Helix
            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
              I think this is faulty logic in 2017. I'm sure there were other factors involved in a such a decision.

Routing to separate tracks for me is about control. I may want to limit how prominent a cymbal or tom might be and this makes it much easier.
              Plus you cannot EQ a snare drum the same way you EQ a bass drum or a hi hat. Recording mono doesn't allow for that.
              Line 6 Helix
              Dunlop Strings and Picks

Comment

I meant that they had recorded drums mono at one point.
                But as I say, I'm also not defending him either. I think his mixes sound terrible.
                The first few albums were all mixed down to mono as were a lot of recordings made back then. Stereo was new and not used in a lot of master mixes. Albums became generally available in Mono or Stereo pressings. Slowly mono pressings disappeared.
                sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
                  The first few albums were all mixed down to mono as were a lot of recordings made back then. Stereo was new and not used in a lot of master mixes. Albums became generally available in Mono or Stereo pressings. Slowly mono pressings disappeared.
                  I'm a big fan of SACDs and have what was The Rolling Stones 60's London catalog on SACD (remastered and released by ABKCO several years ago). You need a system that can handle it, including an SACD player. Those sound great: It sounds like you are in a the center of a circle surrounded by the band. Late last year they released that same catalog in mono, which makes absolutely no sense to me.
                  '69 Fender Mustang bass
                  '69 Gibson EB-1
                  '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
                  '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
                  '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                  '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
                  '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
                  '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Working...
                  X