banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bass home recording: DI Box vs Real Amp DI ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bass home recording: DI Box vs Real Amp DI ?

Thanks for the tip about doubling the bass, I still want the SandsAmp for a more realistic bass amp tone (and a better bas would help too ) but I just did a small practice recording and did the doubling of the bass and it really made it sound a bit better, more volume yes but more "body" too. I also did this with the "virtua!l kick drum and I like it better. I know mixing is a long process of trial and error but these little simple tips really go a long way.

Edit: This is what I did to "twak" the double track, if I think the volume was too loud in the mix by default then I just reduced the volume of one of the tracks, it worked for me but I don't know it works for others. This made sense considering both the original and doubled track were centered. I guess tracks in L or R may need an equivalent attenuation in the mix.

Other than this, is there a home recording forum you may recommend?
    Last edited by IMENATOR; 10-21-2016, 07:54 AM.
    Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
      it worked for me but I don't know it works for others
      For me the most important rule to remember is that there are no rules. What works on one song may not work on another. But as I said above, I believe in keeping things simple.

There are usually forums dedicated to specific DAWs.

I use Pro Tools and have found the Avid Pro Audio Community helpful. That is strictly about Pro Tools though.
      '69 Fender Mustang bass
      '69 Gibson EB-1
      '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
      '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
      '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
      '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
      '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
      '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Facebook is your friend these days; very few sites have good, active forums. Look for Facebook groups focused on home recording, which in all honesty is pretty much everyone these days.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
          Facebook is your friend these days; very few sites have good, active forums.
          In my experience, the Avid forum is great. Anytime I have posted a question I received a knowledgeable response within 30 minutes, if not sooner. It is not connected with Avid: It's just users.
          '69 Fender Mustang bass
          '69 Gibson EB-1
          '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
          '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz

Comment

Thanks for the tip about doubling the bass, I still want the SandsAmp for a more realistic bass amp tone (and a better bas would help too ) but I just did a small practice recording and did the doubling of the bass and it really made it sound a bit better, more volume yes but more "body" too. I also did this with the "virtua!l kick drum and I like it better. I know mixing is a long process of trial and error but these little simple tips really go a long way.

Edit: This is what I did to "tweak" the double track, if I think the volume was too loud in the mix by default then I just reduced the volume of one of the tracks, it worked for me but I don't know it works for others. This made sense considering both the original and doubled track were centered. I guess tracks in L or R may need an equivalent attenuation in the mix.

The same sound from two sources at the same volume will combine and sum at 3Db louder.
            sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
            - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
              In my experience, the Avid forum is great. Anytime I have posted a question I received a knowledgeable response within 30 minutes, if not sooner. It is not connected with Avid: It's just users.
              So is the Sound On Sound forum; but I am in a couple of private FB groups that are also excellent.

Comment

I wouldn't know about FB. Not a fan, not a member. No interest.
                '69 Fender Mustang bass
                '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

I use it 99% of the time for music stuff and it has proven to be a great resource.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                    +1

The Sansamp is hard to beat. Short of a great amp, a great room and an expensive DI you're not realistically going to do better. Personally I like the rackmount Sansamps better (specifically the VT and RPM), but it's mostly for a few extra EQ options.
                    The Sansamp is hard to beat. He hit it right on the head!
                    BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
                    Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
                    Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
                    Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
                    Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
                    Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
                    Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
                    Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
                    Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
                    Gibson EBO

Comment

Yesterday I pulled the trigger and ordered the SansAmp Bass Driver DI V2.
                      Who took my guitar?

Comment

Cool; enjoy!

Comment

Edit: This is what I did to "twak" the double track, if I think the volume was too loud in the mix by default then I just reduced the volume of one of the tracks, it worked for me but I don't know it works for others. This made sense considering both the original and doubled track were centered. I guess tracks in L or R may need an equivalent attenuation in the mix.
                          Just so you know, I don't think dg27 was talking about doubling the bass track, it looks to me like he was recommending recording one performance onto two separate tracks, one with the raw direct sound and the other with processed tone. That's the most common way of doing it, and it's popular for good reason.

That being said (and as dg also said), there really is no wrong way. If it works for you, go with it!

And I'll add my +1 on the SansAmp. Great piece of gear. I always bring it to bass gigs- good tone guaranteed, whatever the amp. And even the programmable one fits in the pocket of a gig bag.

Coupla links worth checking out:

http://forum.recordingreview.com/index.php Home Recording Forum, good info and some tips for beginners.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/ Lots of discussion about equipment but also about soundspaces, mic technique, mixing, getting the best out of lower priced gear, and a newbie recording forum.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                            Just so you know, I don't think dg27 was talking about doubling the bass track, it looks to me like he was recommending recording one performance onto two separate tracks, one with the raw direct sound and the other with processed tone. That's the most common way of doing it, and it's popular for good reason.
                            That's correct. The performance is recorded once and I have an XLR going into one input on my interface untreated (raw direct) and a 1/4 jack that has my SansAmp settings (treated) going into another input on my interface. Each is a separate track in my DAW (Pro Tools).

I have found that I generally have to do very, very little additional processing to get the sound I want.

And by the way, I would suggest checking out the recommended settings shown in the SansAmp manual.
                            '69 Fender Mustang bass
                            '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

You should always have a DI no matter what.
                              The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I was out of town on a business trip and I just arrived yesterday night, the pedal was already at home so later today I should be able to start playing with it
                                Who took my guitar?

Comment

Working...
                                X