banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bass home recording: DI Box vs Real Amp DI ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bass home recording: DI Box vs Real Amp DI ?

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
    You should always have a DI no matter what.
    Well, I did not have any DI myself before this, not for guitar even (I am a guitar player) as the instrument input of my Focusrite 2i2 takes the guitar dry signal with no issues. The happy accident is when the Bass Driver DI is powered but disengaged it works as a DI, I just did a little try with my strat into my Focusrite 2i2 and it works as DI for guitar just like that. At least now I know if I ever sell my Focusrite 2i2 I can use this box as a DI for any other interface that may not have instrument input.
    Who took my guitar?

Comment

True that! The fact that it can be powered via phantom power saves alot of headache as well
      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Most bass players record direct these days and the Sansamp is pretty cool. Tech 21 NYC now has a bass Flyrig for performing live. A lot of bass players go direct to the PA when playing live and use the amp as a monitor. You can use bass drum mics like the D112 and Beta 52, but some producers still use SM 57s and condensers. It's not quite as easy as micing a guitar cab. I would use the Sansamp.

Comment

When I record bass, I go straight into the interface. If that's not an option, I'll use my Sansamp. The J-bass that I have has active pickups and so it's pretty easy to dial in a tone.
          www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

I'm a huge fan of the Fender Rumbles. And Beer$ has a great idea. Record the Rumble through a mic and through the DI and mix the two for some really good results. Like half clean and half dirty or something.
            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
            Line 6 Helix
            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
              I'm a huge fan of the Fender Rumbles. And Beer$ has a great idea. Record the Rumble through a mic and through the DI and mix the two for some really good results. Like half clean and half dirty or something.
              This is similar to what I do with the SansAmp, described above: bass --> SansAmp --> XLR to interface (clean) + line --> interface with SA settings. I get the best of both worlds. I use two tracks in my DAW then route them to single bus track.
              '69 Fender Mustang bass
              '69 Gibson EB-1
              '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
              '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
              '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
              '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
              '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
              '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
                This is similar to what I do with the SansAmp, described above: bass --> SansAmp --> XLR to interface (clean) + line --> interface with SA settings. I get the best of both worlds. I use two tracks in my DAW then route them to single bus track.
                That's how I record drums. Or if I have to program drums through EZ Drummer or something, I use a multitrack out from the VST and send each out to an auxiliary subtrack to add compression or eq for each drum/ OH/ hit hat. Then I can use the main track just as a master fader for the drums as a whole. I also will add reverb to the master track rather than dealing with it on each sub track. Gets really high quality results.
                Line 6 Helix
                Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

I use a multitrack out from the VST and send each out to an auxiliary subtrack to add compression or eq for each drum/ OH/ hit hat. Then I can use the main track just as a master fader for the drums as a whole.
                  Exactly what I do for drums as well. And I agree that the results are great, IMO.
                  '69 Fender Mustang bass
                  '69 Gibson EB-1
                  '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                  '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
                    Exactly what I do for drums as well. And I agree that the results are great, IMO.
                    I've seen some guys will mix within the VST and just get stereo outs from it. One guy in class insists on using one mic to record drums mono. Says it gives better results for him. I think he's insane and a bit lazy. But he says it sounds better and that's how the Beatles did it.
                    Line 6 Helix
                    Dunlop Strings and Picks

Comment

But he says it sounds better and that's how the Beatles did it.
                      I think this is faulty logic in 2017. I'm sure there were other factors involved in a such a decision.

Routing to separate tracks for me is about control. I may want to limit how prominent a cymbal or tom might be and this makes it much easier.
                      '69 Fender Mustang bass
                      '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

I've seen some guys will mix within the VST and just get stereo outs from it. One guy in class insists on using one mic to record drums mono. Says it gives better results for him. I think he's insane and a bit lazy. But he says it sounds better and that's how the Beatles did it.
                        Not true.
                        sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                        - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Wtf

Almost nothing professionally recorded is going to use mono overheads.
                          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                            Wtf

Almost nothing professionally recorded is going to use mono overheads.
                            These days.
                            That was the sixties and recording as we know it today was still in it's infancy. They made lots of mistakes but they learned from them.
                            sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                            - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
                              These days.
                              That was the sixties and recording as we know it today was still in it's infancy. They made lots of mistakes but they learned from them.
                              thats what I meant. I'm not so hopelessly ignorant I don't know how they used to record. I had th opportunity to hear the individual 4 track sessions from Sgt Peppers. You probably knew I wasn't anyway but I'm uncharacteristically defensive and jumpy because life's too difficult at the moment. I'm just glad LLL isn't here.
                              The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

They only used the more modern techniques when they were using the best drummer in the Beatles (who we all know wasn't Ringo).
                                '69 Fender Mustang bass
                                '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Working...
                                X