Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boss ES-8 , is anything better?

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
    I approach the ES8 as an empty GT unit. The loops are the effect blocks, fill them with stomps.

The sentry is required between the guitar & es8 for tracking so the gate opens & closes correctly. The sentry's loop will take noise out. So that needs to be part of one of es8 loops, just like one of the NS blocks in the GT. Now you can move it around within the es8 signal chain.

Now for your amp fx send/return, i hope its a global & not per channel. It complicates things but I'll explain that if necessary next time. Consider the Preamp A/B block in the GT. When you place your amp's preamp in one of es8's loop, this is now your Preamp block like in the GT.

The volume pedal goes in the es8 dedicated volume loop.

Last but not the least, Out 1/2. Consider the Main Output of the GT as this thing. It is what gets connected to your amp's input.

Also, I noticed the loop 7 or 8 has dual returns or sends. I'll need to see the manual to tell what it functions as. Basically its not complicated if you are familiar with the gt10/100 fx chain layout, its pretty much the same.

Edit: Big mistake.
    You need to go 4CM to make the amps preamp moveable. So,
    Es8 (any loop) Send>Amp input, Amp send>Es8 Loop Return, Es8 Out1>Amp Return

I'm very similar with both the GT-10 and GT-100. I owned them both and still have the GT-100. I went pedals because I wanted a more organic sound and I don't use modeling at all, the amp modeling I mean. I like my amp and how it sounds.
    The Effects loop on my amp is global. My amp only has 2 channels so both pass through the loop.
    I used the 4CM from the GT-8 to the 10 and last was the 100. So I know how the effects chain works boss style.
    So in the GT-100, you setup your OUTPUT to RETURN meaning your connecting the OUTPUT of the GT to the RETURN of your EFFECTS loop.
    The Send on the GT goes to the FRONT of your preamp , The SEND from your amps effects loop meaning the Preamp goes to the REURN of the GT. Your guitar plugs into the GT directly.
    In the effect chain, the send and return blocks are your amp. You turn off the Modeling smack and now use your amps preamp and amp.
    The Volume pedal is in your effects loop unless you move it somewhere else. I like it there as I like to use Volume as volume and not gain control or swells.
    The Sentry's Loop is what I'm thinking about how you INSERT pedals inbetween it? Like a distortion Loop and a OD loop and even the Spark Booster. So 3 Loops of effects need to live inside the Sentry's Noise gate loop. I'm not sure I get how it will do that. This way the Sentry Gate will work correctly The Guitar should be plugged directly into it. But the ES-8 your plugging into that first. So even the Sentry would need to be a Loop meaning it's INPUT and SEND so you can have the guitar into the gate , then SEND will go out to the first of your OD pedals then the RETURN side of the Gate needs to be the Last OD pedals Loop into it.
    Then the OUTPUT of the Sentry Gate needs to go to the FRONT of the preamp section of the Guitar amp.
    So then the Volume pedal needs to be placed from the Send of the effects loop of the amp and be first in that chain. All Modulate effects need to be after the Volume pedal . In my case Chorus , Delay and then Reverb.
    My Sonic Maximizer can live outside the Looper as it would live in line with the leg out of the ES-8 that would go to the RETURN of my amps effects loop. This should be an issue at all.
    I feel the Gate is what makes everything harder to understand as you I'm guessing need to use 2 Loops in your to place the Gate correctly. It lives in front of the amp twice technically.
    Amp control sound be easy as my amp controls TRS. I believe the ES-8 has stereo control outs for an AMP? The GT-100 didn't have that feature for amp control, it was mono so I was only able to change channels but not control my second volume on my gain channel which was the 2nd command from the factory switch. It has 2 switches. One does amp channel changing and the other switch changes the 2 volume control settings. My amp uses the 2 volume controls for Solo and Rhythm . You set each volume where you want it and with the foot switch you can change what volume pot your using. The GT-100 What I did because the gT wasn't able to do the 2nd switch, I just built patches louder then the Rhythm ones. Easy way around that but I think the ES-8 has TRS .
    Last edited by mantis; 11-16-2016, 05:09 PM.

Comment

I was on youtube checking out the ES-8 and found a series of Video from this dude on it. He seems to believe it's the very best switcher on the market due tot the fact it can do things no other switch can do like Matrix switching an Parallel loops. This ES-8 is absolutely killer and takes your single pedals into Multieffects world and then some.
      Pretty damn awesome.
      It's not really possible to show you all the possibilities of this amazing switcher, but I am trying to pose a few scenarios and challenges and see if we can...

Comment

I could SO clean up my stage crap with this....
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
          I'm very similar with both the GT-10 and GT-100. I owned them both and still have the GT-100. I went pedals because I wanted a more organic sound and I don't use modeling at all, the amp modeling I mean. I like my amp and how it sounds.
          The Effects loop on my amp is global. My amp only has 2 channels so both pass through the loop.
          I used the 4CM from the GT-8 to the 10 and last was the 100. So I know how the effects chain works boss style.
          So in the GT-100, you setup your OUTPUT to RETURN meaning your connecting the OUTPUT of the GT to the RETURN of your EFFECTS loop.
          The Send on the GT goes to the FRONT of your preamp , The SEND from your amps effects loop meaning the Preamp goes to the REURN of the GT. Your guitar plugs into the GT directly.
          In the effect chain, the send and return blocks are your amp. You turn off the Modeling smack and now use your amps preamp and amp.
          The Volume pedal is in your effects loop unless you move it somewhere else. I like it there as I like to use Volume as volume and not gain control or swells.
          The Sentry's Loop is what I'm thinking about how you INSERT pedals inbetween it? Like a distortion Loop and a OD loop and even the Spark Booster. So 3 Loops of effects need to live inside the Sentry's Noise gate loop. I'm not sure I get how it will do that. This way the Sentry Gate will work correctly The Guitar should be plugged directly into it. But the ES-8 your plugging into that first. So even the Sentry would need to be a Loop meaning it's INPUT and SEND so you can have the guitar into the gate , then SEND will go out to the first of your OD pedals then the RETURN side of the Gate needs to be the Last OD pedals Loop into it.
          Then the OUTPUT of the Sentry Gate needs to go to the FRONT of the preamp section of the Guitar amp.
          So then the Volume pedal needs to be placed from the Send of the effects loop of the amp and be first in that chain. All Modulate effects need to be after the Volume pedal . In my case Chorus , Delay and then Reverb.
          My Sonic Maximizer can live outside the Looper as it would live in line with the leg out of the ES-8 that would go to the RETURN of my amps effects loop. This should be an issue at all.
          I feel the Gate is what makes everything harder to understand as you I'm guessing need to use 2 Loops in your to place the Gate correctly. It lives in front of the amp twice technically.
          Amp control sound be easy as my amp controls TRS. I believe the ES-8 has stereo control outs for an AMP? The GT-100 didn't have that feature for amp control, it was mono so I was only able to change channels but not control my second volume on my gain channel which was the 2nd command from the factory switch. It has 2 switches. One does amp channel changing and the other switch changes the 2 volume control settings. My amp uses the 2 volume controls for Solo and Rhythm . You set each volume where you want it and with the foot switch you can change what volume pot your using. The GT-100 What I did because the gT wasn't able to do the 2nd switch, I just built patches louder then the Rhythm ones. Easy way around that but I think the ES-8 has TRS .
          Haven't seen the vid but I thought of a way to incorporate the sentry completely/properly into es8.

Guitar>Sentry In
          Sentry Send>ES8 Input
          Es8 loop 1 Send>SentryReturn
          Sentry Out> Es8 loop 1 return.

Now since the chain is reroutable, if loop 2 on es8 has Distortion pedal inserted into it, move & place it in front of loop 1. You now have the distortion pedal living in sentry's loop. So what ever pedal/S-R blocks of the Es8 you want to live in the sentry's loop can be made to be there this way.

Edit: I think this is how the NS1/2 blocks work within the GTs as well. They gate everything in front of them but nothing after them. Still thinking of an alternative but it might end up using two of es8 loops, if it were me then i would end up using it as i mentioned before the Edit.
          Last edited by Hank-; 11-17-2016, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
            Haven't seen the vid but I thought of a way to incorporate the sentry completely/properly into es8.

Guitar>Sentry In
            Sentry Send>ES8 Input
            Es8 loop 1 Send>SentryReturn
            Sentry Out> Es8 loop 1 return.

Now since the chain is reroutable, if loop 2 on es8 has Distortion pedal inserted into it, move & place it in front of loop 1. You now have the distortion pedal living in sentry's loop. So what ever pedal/S-R blocks of the Es8 you want to live in the sentry's loop can be made to be there this way.

Edit: I think this is how the NS1/2 blocks work within the GTs as well. They gate everything in front of them but nothing after them. Still thinking of an alternative but it might end up using two of es8 loops, if it were me then i would end up using it as i mentioned before the Edit.
            Yeah, that would work, I like the way you think my man.

Comment

Holy crap I've been watching videos on the ES-8 for the past three days, I want one so bad now.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                Holy crap I've been watching videos on the ES-8 for the past three days, I want one so bad now.
                Right? It's like the motherboard of all Mother Boards man. I can't see needing to do anything more then what the ES-8 can do. If you need more, you need a guitar tech to work with you while you play LOL.

Comment

Why is it that I can see the 80's and early 90's passing before my eyes here?
                  The racks are just on the ground now...

Comment

I have the new ES-5 bar none these are the best switchers out there period that you can buy out of the box.

Comment

Incoming...
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by baron55 View Post
                        I have the new ES-5 bar none these are the best switchers out there period that you can buy out of the box.
                        From what I have researched so far, I don't see anything better. The abilities of the ES series controllers are amazing. Boss really hit a home run with them. I'm gonna get the ES-8 and call it a day.
                        I still wish Boss would come out with a very high end Waza craft Gt like Multi effects processor ONLY with NO amp modelers, cab's mic's or any of that crap. Boss sucks at it and they should stick to what they do best EFFECTS. Still to this day and I own a full TC Electronics Pedal board with 9 TC pedals, I still feel honestly Boss makes the best overall effects pedals.
                        Everyone years ago kicked Boss for Buffers in their pedals and now look at most or everyone, buying stand alone buffers for their tone sucking to many true bypass pedals. Yeah I hate it 2 as you can't beat physics, to much resistance and tone loss you get no matter how high end the quality of the effects pedal or cables are.

Comment

This looks a whole lot like the Switchblade rack stuff. 8 Ins, 8 Outs, routing any In to any Out. Control freak's fantasy! Though with the rack stuff, you do need an external MIDI control pedal, so that's something extra to carry.

Hmmm, I do be this thing would work great with racks, although you'd still need a separate pedal for the individual rack units. Does the ES8 do MIDI?

One of the reasons I went to racks years ago was because pedals had to be tweaked for different songs, and with racks I could just change an entire "pedal chain" without needing 10 different chains of the same pedals with different settings scattered across the floor. Not to mention the cost of 9 volts or the number of power strips and wall warts you'd need.

I looked up the GT-100 a few times, and it seems like one of my "dreams come true" - every BOSS pedal in a single rack unit. However, can you not disable the amp modeling entirely? I know BOSS had several variations of the same pedal - OD1, OD2, etc - does the GT-100 include these variations or did they just pick one from each model? I'd much rather have "the entire BOSS library", including the 1,2,3 variations of the same pedal, so I can decide for myself which one I prefer for a given task.
                          Of course I'd also rather have that in a single rack unit, before someone says "derp just git all them pedals hyuk hyuk".
                          Originally posted by Brown Note
                          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                          My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
                            Hmmm, I do be this thing would work great with racks, although you'd still need a separate pedal for the individual rack units. Does the ES8 do MIDI?
                            It can send a PC on 8 MIDI channels and 8 CC Values per button press/program change/patch change. It can also receive MIDI commands to trigger its patch changes. Additionally it has up to 4 control ins (switches) or two expression ins and 2 expression outs + 6 control outs. They can be momentary or latched for amp channel switching, analog tap tempo or triggering anything that needs a switch input. Also, the expression can be routed to either expression out (assigned by patch) or sent via MIDI CC.

However, I think for rack usage, the GigRig2 is better, as you can separate the patch bay and the footswitches.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I picked up a One Control OC10 and am excited to get it setup. THe Gig Rig was on my list and I was hoping to score one used, but they're hard to find. The Boss ES8 sounds great, but is really dependent upon being able to read screens/menus, and for a person who is legally blind and can only do that with screen reading software, it's a no-go. The OC10 is a bit easier to program and is a little more intuitive, but doesn't have the feature of changing pedal order or programmable pre/post buffers, which would be awesome. Something else to keep in mind for setting up loops on the ES8 and in the effects loop of your amp is that if you're using high end units, like Eventide Space or Pigtronix Echolution, you could avoid the need of running tons of cables back and forth to setup loops in your effects loop by considering the following.

If you have a pedal that is MIDI, as well as sporting jacks for other connections, you could connect a MIDI cable, and TRS cable, that would be setup to bypass the pedal. That way, instead of putting all the pedals for the effects loop of your amp on your board and running them back and forth, you could just leave them on top of your amp, rack, or if a combo amp, on the inside floor of the combo.

I hope this makes snse?

Basically, your ES8 would send a program turning the pedal on/off, and switching a preset at the same time. Running loops in the effects loops just takes a pedal that is on in and out of signal path, and changes the preset. The option I am proposing would save n tons of cabling.
                              Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
                              Ibanez RG1570 Custom
                              PRS McCarty STD
                              '71 Gibson SG Custom
                              Bogner Alchemist 2x12
                              Vox AD15VT

Comment

That's correct, you can simply use MIDI to bypass pedals that aren't in one of the loops. The only negative is that you need to remember to program the CC for Bypass on every patch where you don't want the pedal engaged. (Otherwise the same program in the pedal will remain engaged even after the patch change has happened on the looper)

Most of the loopers accommodate the 4-cable method pretty cleanly. It's only two extra cables to the amp, and the Effects Loop should be able to drive the length pretty easily.
                                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                                X