Suggestions for Nashville Tele with Mini Humbucker Neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for Nashville Tele with Mini Humbucker Neck

Building a new parts Tele with Nashville route and mini hum neck. So looking for pickup recommendations for all 3 positions:
    1. Tele bridge pickup
    2. Strat middle pickup
    3. Mini humbucker Neck pickup

Guessing it's kind of a Brent Mason deal

Re: Suggestions for Nashville Tele with Mini Humbucker Neck

I recommend Hot for Tele/STL-2 bridge and Vintage mini/SM-1 neck. They match tonally. If you want less rockin' bridge pickup, JD pairs well with SM-1 too, output wise. for middle position, hmmm I don't know. If it were me, I'd go with Twangbanger. I've been wondering how it would sound in that position.

Comment

id go tapped stl2 bridge, ssl2 middle, sm1 neck. great all around set that will cover lots of ground. if price is no object then id go custom shop tapped '53 jd esquire pup bridge, flat pole antiquity II surfer middle, and antiquity II firebird pup neck.

you dont need to go flat pole, i just prefer my strat pups that way. the flat pole antiquity would have to be custom shop unfortunately

Comment

I have a STK-T2b Hot Stack in my Tele paired with a SM-1. Not sure what I'd use in the middle.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

If I went with the Alnico ii Pro Tele bridge and Strat middle, what next mini humbucker would go best?

Comment

I went to the local pickup shop with the intent to get an Antiquity mini for my thinline but Mike doesn't believe in "that antiquity crap" so I had to settle for a DiMarzio mini and it actually sounds pretty good. Very clear and articulate.

Comment

whats to believe in? either it sounds good or it doesnt. i could care less that they are cosmetically aged, the antiquity II firebird neck pup is amazing. mike needs to get off his horse (watch out, its a long way down) and use his ears

Comment

There are tons of good suggestions...just depends on how twangy you want to get, or how vintage or modern you want. I like the Jerry Donahue, the Strat Five Two and the Antiquity II Mini for the neck...or even a Seth Lover, going for a full size humbucker.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by RMosack View Post
                  If I went with the Alnico ii Pro Tele bridge and Strat middle, what next mini humbucker would go best?
                  SM-1n. Set it low. It's loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    There are tons of good suggestions...just depends on how twangy you want to get, or how vintage or modern you want. I like the Jerry Donahue, the Strat Five Two and the Antiquity II Mini for the neck...or even a Seth Lover, going for a full size humbucker.
                    I suppose that I want it to have a bit of a vintage thing going on. Not really going for anything modern or drastically different than the classic Tele formula(s).

The ash body sort of adds somewhat of a '50s flavor (bright, twangy). But the rosewood fretboard brings in a tad bit of '60s warmth. I don't want an icepick in the ears monster. But on the flip side, I don't want to put a JB Jr. in there and have it not be a Tele. Going for something halfway between. But I'd be fully satisfied if the bridge position sounded more or less like those '52 Reissues that Fender has been putting out for a few decades.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      whats to believe in? either it sounds good or it doesnt. i could care less that they are cosmetically aged, the antiquity II firebird neck pup is amazing. mike needs to get off his horse (watch out, its a long way down) and use his ears
                      Well, that's why he doesn't really have a shop anymore and does most of his business on eBay. He's got a great niche where he stocks all the odd colors and doesn't have to deal with people in person. Unfortunately, nobody else in town stocks much of anything from Duncan because of him.

Comment

I have a Seymour Duncan STL-1B Vintage Lead for Broadcaster going into the bridge and a Seymour Duncan SM-1N Vintage Mini Humbucker Neck for that neck position.

What sort of pickup would be a great fit for the middle to compliment these two?

Comment

When I think Nashville Tele, I think Brent Mason.

Brent Mason set:
                          SM-1n
                          STK-S2n
                          STK-T3b

Middle pickup controlled by separate volume control so it can be blended in.
                          (Yep, that's a Hot Stack in the middle.... and he's been on more recordings than you can count with that combo)
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                            When I think Nashville Tele, I think Brent Mason.

Brent Mason set:
                            SM-1n
                            STK-S2n
                            STK-T3b

Middle pickup controlled by separate volume control so it can be blended in.
                            (Yep, that's a Hot Stack in the middle.... and he's been on more recordings than you can count with that combo)
                            Interesting. He pairs that with that Stack bridge pickup. Will it overpower the Broadcaster or work just fine?

I admit that I was originally thinking I'd be looking at some sort of true single coil RWRP for killing hum when combining with the bridge.

Comment

The stack does look slightly hotter than the Broadcaster, but I think he only blends a little of the hot stack, rather than going full-on middle type position. I'd also go with a SSL-1, SSL-5/2 or Vintage Stack Plus, but I thought it was an interesting little tidbit to contribute to the thread.
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X