Suggestions for Nashville Tele with Mini Humbucker Neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suggestions for Nashville Tele with Mini Humbucker Neck

Thanks. I guess I'm leaning to a simple SSL-1 for the middle. RWRP for at least hum cancelling when combined with the bridge Broadcaster. I think...

Comment

SSL-1 (or -2) is a great choice, and if you have a bright Tele, go with a Five Two.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        There are tons of good suggestions...just depends on how twangy you want to get, or how vintage or modern you want. I like the Jerry Donahue, the Strat Five Two and the Antiquity II Mini for the neck...or even a Seth Lover, going for a full size humbucker.
        I definitely want to lean toward twangy and vintage. I have a few guitars with humbuckers, P90s, and a few Strats. I want the Tele to sound like a Tele. As long as the output can match with the neck mini humbucker, I'm open to as twangy as vintage as I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by elelpe View Post
          SM-1n. Set it low. It's loud.
          I'll agree with this. I have the SM-1 loaded in my Tele build and paired with the Broadcaster lead.

The two work well together, but the mini humbucker had a heck of a volume jump when I first set it up. Lowering it some helped the balance from one to the other and it's got a great blended sound.

Also, I wouldn't count on the Broadcaster for a lot of twang. In my guitar, at least, it's got a more punchy, snarling flavor to it, which I prefer to twang.

Best of luck in your pursuit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

If it is going to match with the neck minihum, and still be twangy and sound like a Tele, I like the Jerry Donahue the best, then.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
              I have a STK-T2b Hot Stack in my Tele paired with a SM-1. Not sure what I'd use in the middle.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
              I have this with a Cool Rails for Strat in the middle. But I like ridiculously versatile sets.

Comment

I have the “Brent Mason set” in this. Love it but the SM-1n in the neck is really loud, especially on the bass side. I have it as low as it will go. I’m thinking of swapping it out for something else, just out of curiosity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  If it is going to match with the neck minihum, and still be twangy and sound like a Tele, I like the Jerry Donahue the best, then.
                  Resurrecting this old thread!

I finally finished the partscaster a few months back. Ash body, maple neck, rosewood board. I eventually purchased the following pickups for this guitar
                  - Seymour Duncan STL52-1 Five-Two Tele Lead
                  - Seymour Duncan SSL52-1m Five-Two Tele Middle
                  - Seymour Duncan SM-1N Vintage Mini Humbucker Neck
                  I purchased those pickups 10 days after the last post in this thread, FWIW.

The guitar came out great. It's wired with a crazy nine way scream from Sigler Music that I kind of like. But here's the problem:

This guitar does not have that Tele snarl, bite or twang that I'd hoped for. The in-between tones between the bridge Five-Two and the neck mini-humbucker is very nice. All the other in-between (Nashville Tele) selections sound nice. Even the crazy serial (i.e., humbucking) sound okay. But the bridge pickup does NOT sound like a Tele to me. It's almost too "pretty". When I flip the switch back there for the classic Tele twang, what I get sounds too refined. Almost sounds like a middle position Strat pickup or tame P90 pickup.

The guitar has an ash body that I finished in nitro lacquer. It has a vintage style Tele bridge. The neck is obviously maple. So all the "Tele-ness" should be there in the recipe. I guess the fretboard is rosewood, but loads of '60s Teles had rosewood and sound like Teles. So my guess is that I learned a lesson about that SD Five-Two Tele bridge pickup. It sounds beautiful, and if I wanted a jazz Tele, I'd put it at the top of my list. But it doesn't sound at all like what I expect out of a Tele. None of the dozens (or more!) Teles I've played in my life sound this mellow.

Not dark as in EQ (like having the wrong tone cap or wrong pots or something). And not muffled or muted in some weird way. It's clear as a bell. And based on tapping the poles of all the pickups in all the pickup selection positions, it's definitely wired correctly. It just doesn't sound like a Tele.

So after that long diatribe, which pickup should I think about for replacing it? I'm still not looking for some crazy overwound non-Tele thing. I want Tele twang. For this guitar, I'm looking to go from classic country type stuff to Tele blues (thus the mini-hum in the neck) and early Zeppelin Tele stuff, with or without a fuzz. Basically, I want it to sound like a Tele and not a refined Strat or Gretsch or whatever.

Please help!

Comment

i answered this same question in your other thread, but vintage 54 or antiquity II tele lead

Comment

If you want it to sound the most Tele-ish, then an Antiquity is the one.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        i answered this same question in your other thread, but vintage 54 or antiquity II tele lead
                        Thank you...twice!
                        In that other thread, you suggested those and another poster suggested a Broadcaster. I figure both are vintage sounding. Can you tell me how the Vintage 54 and Broafcaster compare and contrast?

Comment

Originally posted by RMosack View Post
                          Guessing it's kind of a Brent Mason deal
                          By that statement, your bridge pickup needs to be a Vintage Stack (STK-3b). Hot Stack in the middle and a mini-humbucker in the neck position. Funny thing a lot of people don't realize is the Duncan standard production mini-humbuckers are Firebird types. DiMArzio offers an "Epiphone" type as standard production and not Antiquity. Brent's is an Epiphone type. That's where they started. They were Epiphone New Yorker pickups that Gibson started installing in Les Paul Pro guitars that used P-90s. They became Les Paul Deluxes. The "Deluxe" minis and "Firebird" minis are different pickups.

Deluxe Mini vs. Firebird Mini
                          Last edited by Butch Snyder; 01-27-2020, 07:31 AM.
                          -Butch

Comment

Working...
                          X