Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basslines Phase I vs MEC soapbars

Hello all,
    I've been trying to get this info from Seymour Duncan but so far haven't received a reply.

The Phase I soapbar bass pickups are very comparable to the MEC soaps in terms of construction: split coils in a reverse P configuration, internally; both active; same dimensions.

I'm looking for a less bright, mellower version of the MEC for one of my Warwicks and am wondering how the Phase I compares tonally. Has anyone had experience with both?

And, how does the Steve Bailey version of the Phase I differ from the standard Phase I - is the SB model any warmer, or perhaps configured differently inside?

Re: Basslines Phase I vs MEC soapbars

Welcome to the forum!

Hang tight, someone here is bound to chime in with some info. If you don't get what you are looking for, send me a PM and I will see what I can find out (after NAMM this week, of course).
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Re: Basslines Phase I vs MEC soapbars

Originally posted by Spfairchild View Post
      The Phase I soapbar bass pickups are very comparable to the MEC soaps in terms of construction: split coils in a reverse P configuration, internally; both active; same dimensions.
      I'm looking for a less bright, mellower version of the MEC for one of my Warwicks and am wondering how the Phase I compares tonally. Has anyone had experience with both?
      Had a pair of Phase 1 soapbars in one of my two Warwicks (a Streamer Stage I - flamed maple body and wide 5-string spacing) so I can testify 1st hand:THE SD's REALLY ARE WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING AFTER.
      These PU's deliver in spades,no trace of harshness and "ultra-HiFi" mumbo-jumbo as associated with MECs (and EMGs,BTW!).Warm,detailed,growly when played as such,cutting through the mix like butter,preserving the W's woods' character and lifting it to a higher level...in short,great PU's,maybe the best candidates for a great woodenry as find on Warwicks,or,as some say,"a marriage made in Heaven".Unfortunately,the onboard preamp is a two-way MEC BEC III,I haven't got the time and money to replace it with something better but I have some ideas (Noll,Aguilar or even Glockenklang....hard decision,I'd wish I could try a few.Even so,(with the average MEC preamp),the sound coming out from this bass is one of the best I ever heard.One mention,though:I'm not sure if I'd choose a SD onboard preamp for this job.Not that the'yre bad or something,au contraire ,I also have 4 different SD preamps already installed in other basses (coupled w/ Phase II, J QuarterPounders,DiMarzio UltraJazz and some J Bartolinis) and the're doing an awesome job,each of their own.While extremely neutral when flat,they add a lot of character when turned up and really help sonically.Still,if we're staying on the original topic (Warwick w/ Phase One),I feel that SD preamps are qualified for a specific job wich might be different from what you're looking after
      About your second question,sorry but I haven't got the occasion to test/play the Steve Bailey PU's.AFAIK,they're "voiced" for fretless meaning that,technically,they have a slightly different construction and therefore,different parametres (impedance?res. freq?).
      Regards,
      Last edited by Le Basseur; 01-24-2017, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X