Tubes for a Vox AC15C1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubes for a Vox AC15C1

Having delved into my 2013 Vox AC15C1 to repair the reverb tank problem, I think I'm going to have a go at revalving it now (the top boost channel is quite noisy so at least one of those valves need replacing).

I know very little about valves, however. The amp needs 3*12AX7 and 2*EL84 matched, and is self-rebiasing. It seems JJs are commonly recommended for this amp. I've found a site which does a full JJ kit for £38:

JJ replacement valve kit 3 x ECC83 (12AX7) and 2 x EL84 valves. Awesome tone and power. Get your amp sounding like new again.

But this seems too good to be true as I can't even find the 3*12AX7s alone at that price point. Has anyone used this site before - are there any risks (eg could these be used/working pulls)?

Also if not JJs are there any other recommendations as to what to fit this amp with? I play mostly overdriven if that makes any difference.

Re: Tubes for a Vox AC15C1

I've had good luck with JJ's in EL84 amps, can't speak to the supplier though sorry
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

It's like a 20% discount, or 1 tube for free. JJs are good, but not too expensive. I can't speak to the UK site, but I've used this site: https://www.amplifiedparts.com/ multiple times and have had great experiences. Good products, as advertised, no hassles in billing or shipping.

Comment

If you are Uk based, check here too

Vox AC15 Custom Classic Series Harma Retro full upgrade kit covers the A15 CC1 and AC15 CC1X. It is designed to give you the classic Vox sound by providing as close to the old Mullard tone as possible. The Harma ECC83 Retro provides a harmonically rich and detailed sound with clear 3D midrange warmth. It has a very open and clear top end chime giving that gives the amplifier that rich sustaining tone. The outstanding feature is a smooth linear midrange response and extended frequency response. So you get smooth warm overdrive with tight fat punchy lows and that classic Mullard style bottom end. The EL84 Retro has a deep well defined tight bass that produces the classic slam of the Mullard in the bottom end with the bass being deeper and belter defined. The midrange performance has been tweaked to provide warm clear detail at low volumes with clear articulation and smooth even distortion when the amplifier is cranked. This combination removes the High end fizz and the rather brittle distortion characteristic which is the most common complaint levelled at this amplifier and brings the amplifiers sound back to life . You will get improvements in such as a crystal clear top end with more extension and clarity when used clean. When using the overdriven settings the valves combined characteristics provide a warm sustaining sound with plenty of upper harmonics with excellent projection on solos. This is the ideal kit for any player who wants that Classic Vox sound. The kit consists of 4 valves 1 Specially Selected Harma ECC83 Retro 1 Specially Selected & Balanced Harma ECC83 Retro for the phase splitter 2 Specially Selected Harma EL84 Retro in a matched pair. Please note that this kit is for the valves only

Not cheap but they know what they are doing. Check also the Reports page for some interesting tube, pardon me, valve reviews.
        Last edited by hamerfan; 02-06-2017, 12:12 PM.
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

i changed the V1 preamp tube to Tung sol. Everything else is stock. It changes the tone just there.
          Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
          http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Okay so I decided to order the following:

V1 - Tung Sol
            V2 - JJ matched
            V3 - JJ matched
            V4 - 6P14P-EV matched NOS
            V5 - 6P14P-EV matched NOS

Three years later, the Tung Sol arrived. And even with just the Tung Sol alongside the other four stock chinese tubes... WOW. To the point that I think there must have been something wrong with the stock tube (I've heard solid state-variant AC15s that sound better than mine so I wouldn't be surprised). This actually sounds like an amp I want to keep now. Can't wait for the others to get here!
            Last edited by spleenharvester; 02-09-2020, 05:30 PM.

Comment

It took 3 years for a tube to arrive???? Glad its improved the tone for ya.
              1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
              Jackson Soloist 7 string
              ESP LTD M-400
              Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Lol nah just messing with y'all. Life got the better of me and I haven't really picked up the guitar since I made this thread. The JJs just arrived too, bit of an improvement but not quite as much as the Tung Sol!
                Last edited by spleenharvester; 02-09-2020, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Ok good
                  1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                  Jackson Soloist 7 string
                  ESP LTD M-400
                  Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Working...
                  X