String tension meter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String tension meter?

Hi. Do you guys know of a string tension meter specifically for guitar? I'm not sure they're available on the market. I own a tension meter for bike wheel spokes. They sell tension meters for tennis racket strings. But I've never seen one for guitar. If not, do you guys have any ideas about a tension meter on the market that you think would give accurate readings on the guitar strings?
    Last edited by Clint 55; 02-10-2017, 05:35 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Re: String tension meter?

when I worked at the Textile Mill, we had a tensile meter for threads and such

but I haven't seen one in almost 20 years
    I left there in '98

EDIT

look here
    these look right
    https://www.checkline.com/tension_meters
    Last edited by ehdwuld; 02-10-2017, 06:45 PM.
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for your help. Those look like they'd be pretty accurate. It says they're even designed to be calibrated to what you're measuring.
      I bought them for you

Comment

they are
        they are awesome expensive as well
        EHD

Comment

They are called fingers.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
            They are called fingers.
            Thanks for your input Goober. For some reason I'm having trouble finding the digital display on my fingers so I can get a precise measurement.
            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
              they are
              they are awesome expensive as well
              Oh noo
              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                Hi. Do you guys know of a string tension meter specifically for guitar? I'm not sure they're available on the market. I own a tension meter for bike wheel spokes. They sell tension meters for tennis racket strings. But I've never seen one for guitar. If not, do you guys have any ideas about a tension meter on the market that you think would give accurate readings on the guitar strings?
                Just out of interest. Why do you need it? There's plenty of information on internet about tension of string gauge/tuning/scale combinations. D'addario.com for instance. I don't think there's going to be practical difference between different makers...
                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

To have definitive proof that the string length outside the sounding portion adds to the tension of the playable string in the scale length.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

To have definitive proof that the string length outside the sounding portion adds to the tension of the playable string in the scale length.
                    You want to use accurate and precise measurement to solve an ongoing dispute between musicians? That will NEVER work!
                    I hope you just want to know for your own knowledge (and that you will report your results because I would like to know as well) because if you're looking to actually convince others it is doomed to failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                      You want to use accurate and precise measurement to solve an ongoing dispute between musicians? That will NEVER work!
                      I hope you just want to know for your own knowledge (and that you will report your results because I would like to know as well) because if you're looking to actually convince others it is doomed to failure.
                      Haha you are so right! So far I believe I am pointed in the right direction with my understanding of string tension and building sets. But it would be nice to have precise measurements for my own understanding... And maybe to troll others
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Yeah he's right
                        Just ask the Bigfoot enthusiasts
                        EHD

Comment

Haha

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bigfoot-Ge.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	5797823
                          I bought them for you

Comment

I can prove it. The nut and saddles don't divide the strings tension wise, only pitch wise.

http://m.wikihow.com/Calculate-Tension-in-Physics The 6th example

It talks about a rope brought under tension by weights of different values and divided by a pulley and says the tension is identical on both sections.

The nut doesn't provide enough friction to divide the string tension wise. You can only tune and maintain tuning stability while playing if the string moves freely through the nut.

Tension is defined by overall length for each string of ball to tuner, not scale length.
                            Last edited by Clint 55; 02-12-2017, 08:14 PM.
                            I bought them for you

Comment

I can prove it. The nut and saddles don't divide the strings tension wise, only pitch wise.

http://m.wikihow.com/Calculate-Tension-in-Physics The 6th example

It talks about a rope brought under tension but divided by a pulley and says the tension is identical on both sections.

The nut doesn't provide enough friction to divide the string tension wise. You can only tune and maintain tuning stability while playing if the string moves freely through the nut.

Tension is defined by overall length for each string of ball to tuner, not scale length.
                              I think you're right with this. When you're playing, you always bend the string, so wouldn't that mean longer scale would actually have less tension fretted than shorter scale if overall lenght of string stays the same?

Because longer part of the string would be between nut and saddle.
                              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Working...
                              X