banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old JCM-800 2X12 with G12T-75s...why do I love this cabinet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old JCM-800 2X12 with G12T-75s...why do I love this cabinet?

I have that Agile 7 string that I just couldn't sell and someone offered me a trade of my guitar for his old cab. I agreed because I just couldn't gel with the 7 string, and really didn't have time to play it as much as I should have. I have always hated G12T-75s. It seemed like every cabinet I ever played with these speakers sounded scooped and trashy. This was in rehearsal studios. I also had the 30th Anniversary blue tolex/gold Marshall emblem cabinet with these and didn't like it either. So the fella leaves, and here I am staring at this 2X12 Marshall that I just KNOW I'm not going to get much money for, and if I keep it, I gotta swap some speakers into it. I'm broke. I can't afford speaker swaps anymore.

Begrudgingly, I whip out the Jesuscaster with the C5 and fire up my Bad Cat 50H and...WTF??? It sounds incredible. It was late so I had to shut down after a few moments. So last night I fire it up again and plug my Chibson SG with the Brobucker bridge and the tone is to die for. The exact, heavier, not quite bone-crushing but close sound I've wanted and just couldn't get from my Greenbacks or V30/G12H30 X Pattern 4X12s. These have the 1777 cones. I haven't dated them yet, but they sound so much like the G12-65s in the 1981 JCM cabinet I had and NOTHING like the ones I'd heard before. Any info on why this may be?
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Re: Old JCM-800 2X12 with G12T-75s...why do I love this cabinet?

dunno but if it sounds good then run with it!

Comment

Throw a V30 in with one G12t-75 ( Bogners "flamethrower" combination). Those old JCM800 cabinets just are the best sounding of all. Seasoned old growth Birch voidless Plywood and handcrafted from the early times. I *only have JCM 800's, or earlier cabinets, and more than a few. Actually, I also have a 90's "classic" Marsall Greenback cabinet that sounds great. Lots of reports of the later cabinest lacking integrity.
      Last edited by MetalManiac; 02-15-2017, 07:13 PM.
      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Well, its entirely possible they are mislabeled. Celestion has done that often since day one.

That said, its probably the smaller dimensions and superior construction of the cab.
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Seems this guy had the same impression as you and had the frequency plotted. His old 75s are nearly identical to his 12-65s and some G12ms. Weird.

I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
            Seems this guy had the same impression as you and had the frequency plotted. His old 75s are nearly identical to his 12-65s and some G12ms. Weird.

http://jvmforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=8008
            That's some good stuff. So if I read this right, the older 75s are nearly identical to the 65s, just with a plastic whatsamajig that gives it the ability to handle a little more power. The back says it is a 130 watt cabinet, so I have to assume the 65s were originally in it. Maybe some of that mojo is still in there, lol.

700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              dunno but if it sounds good then run with it!
              Exactly. The ears outweigh the writing and labeling.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                Throw a V30 in with one G12t-75 ( Bogners "flamethrower" combination). Those old JCM800 cabinets just are the best sounding of all. Seasoned old growth Birch voidless Plywood and handcrafted from the early times. I *only have JCM 800's, or earlier cabinets, and more than a few. Actually, I also have a 90's "classic" Marsall Greenback cabinet that sounds great. Lots of reports of the later cabinest lacking integrity.
                THAT is an interesting idea. My Badcat 50 combo has a V30. I have to see if it's a 16 ohm speaker though. If not, I've got a couple in my 4X12. I also have some Splawn small blocks, so I'd like to try one of those too. Wonder if this cabinet can make the old Peavey Valveking head sound a little more exciting. Mind you, it is a great sounding amp but it is very...generic? Hmm...maybe add life to the Bugera 333 too. I'm gonna be busy this weekend, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 75lespaul View Post
                  That's some good stuff. So if I read this right, the older 75s are nearly identical to the 65s, just with a plastic whatsamajig that gives it the ability to handle a little more power. The back says it is a 130 watt cabinet, so I have to assume the 65s were originally in it. Maybe some of that mojo is still in there, lol.
                  Or likely have some mislabeled speakers if the cab says 130 watts.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                    Or likely have some mislabeled speakers if the cab says 130 watts.
                    That would be cool, but the screws definitely look mucked up, like an electric screwdriver gone wild. It is something though how my first impression was that it sounded like my old 65s. I guess all the other ones I heard that biased me against these speakers were the newer, more scooped sounding ones? Just kind of surprised they would have put them in the anniversary cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by 75lespaul View Post
                      That would be cool, but the screws definitely look mucked up, like an electric screwdriver gone wild. It is something though how my first impression was that it sounded like my old 65s. I guess all the other ones I heard that biased me against these speakers were the newer, more scooped sounding ones? Just kind of surprised they would have put them in the anniversary cabinet.
                      And thinking about it. Mislabeled is improbable. G12m70s ran for two years prior to 75s..so if they were 65s mislabeled at the time...75s were not in existence yet..so no 75 labels.

I know that I hated the 75s in my new at the time 1987/88 cab.. Sold that cab and found a used older cab with 65s. Night and day difference... :shrug:

Anyhoo, enjoy the tone!

Comment

I only like the t75 in 112 and 212 cabs. Just too scooped by themselves in larger cabs IMO.

Comment

Open the cab, Marshall Cab's got mislabeled all the time as well. Get the code on the speaker too and we can date this sucker!
                          TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

It could be the age of the cab and age of the speakers- it's nice and broken in

Comment

Recone? Magswap? Or, as was suggested, aged to perfection?
                              Originally posted by Brown Note
                              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                              My Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X