banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old JCM-800 2X12 with G12T-75s...why do I love this cabinet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old JCM-800 2X12 with G12T-75s...why do I love this cabinet?

On some of the amp forums you can find threads that describe some batches and sets of the early 75s as sounding much like 65s (there are actually several slightly different sounding versions of 65s too), and that there is a noticeable difference between those certain early 75s and late model 75s. The early 75s had a vent in the middle of the magnet that the later ones do not have if that means anything.

Like Jeff B, though, I had a set of 75s dated from 1987 in a 4x12 that I was not fond of. However, in a 2x12 they sounded much better. 4x12s have certain internal phase cancellations that reduce the mids a bit more than 2x12s.

I still have a pair of year 1987 75s that I will sometimes experiment with. I like them for some clean applications or to make a small cab sound bigger. After they aged, they did sound less harsh.

Comment

Weird, I didn't know there was a variation in the 75s sound. I will say that I kind of dug the sound of them paired with V30s, but would not like them on their own. I think for some Marshall's though they can be very good as, tonally they fit with the amp. (Marshall mid hump, 75 lack of mids)

Comment

So...going to open the cab so we can solve this mystery?
        TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
          So...going to open the cab so we can solve this mystery?
          Sorry, haven't been on the internet much lately. I cracked open the cab when I got it, but didn't write down the numbers. I want to date them too. Still liking them a LOT. So when does the honeymoon period officially end, lol. The cleans from the Bad Cat sound really good as well. Still have yet to put another amp through it.
          My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
          or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
          http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
          700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Zombie thread alert! So a slight update as I found this thread looking for some of my Jesuscaster posts, hahaha! I just had back surgery so it will be awhile before I get to this, but I loved the sound of this cabinet so much I didn't want to experiment with it. I actually did look for another older 75 so I could do all these experiments with my Buzzbomb 2X12 but I couldn't afford to pull the trigger on one and eventually stopped the search. I did put all my amps through this cabinet and every one sounded better than it did through anything else. All but one, which I still have to do which is my 1971 Univox U1246B head. Didn't do that because the cab is upstairs in a small family room and that amp is a Non master amp. Has to be in the basement to dime that sucker.

So bottom line, I kept this cabinet and will never regret that trade. I think he got the better of it money wise but when you find a piece of equipment that you just love, after awhile you totally forget about the cost because you realize it doesn't matter.
            My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
            or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
            http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
            700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

G12T-75s sound great. That slight scoop is a good compliment for a midrangey amp like a Marshall or a Laney. I have a Sunn 4x12 and 1x12 with that speaker and I use them for a lot of things.
              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                G12T-75s sound great. That slight scoop is a good compliment for a midrangey amp like a Marshall or a Laney. I have a Sunn 4x12 and 1x12 with that speaker and I use them for a lot of things.
                I agree. They're a better speaker than a lot of people give them credit for.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                  I agree. They're a better speaker than a lot of people give them credit for.
                  It's the same with 12M-70's and 70/80's. They're all decent speakers. Just not some people's cup-o-tea. I bet that a 12T-75/12M-70 X pattern 4x12 would sound fantastic. Substitute 70/80 and it would still be killer, though more suited to Death Metal.

Comment

Working...
                  X