Boss KATANA Love?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boss KATANA Love?

As much as I like my Katana it's still way behind my Yamaha THR100 in terms of tube-like tone. The FEEL is great, the tone is good but it has a definite solid state quality though it sounds way better than any other small s/s amp I've used. The Yamaha (with cab) cost me seven times what I paid for the Katana. The Yamaha is my gigging amp, the Katana is my home amp. I have no complaints.

Comment

If you're into high gain, check out the Katana thread at Rigtalk...
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by stratguy23 View Post
        Mincer, I'm curious what you think about the Katana, since I know you like your Trademarks.

My Trademark 60 did me fine, too, until I got my Katana for a fraction of the price. I immediately recognized the Katana as a step forward in tube amp emulation. Playing the Trademark afterwards felt like a step backwards.

I wonder if Tech 21 would update the Trademark line to keep up with the times. I would still prefer all-analog solid state to anything digital. The Fly Rigs, to my ears, are more tube amp-like than the Trademarks, and I bet people would like it if those sounds/feels came baked into amps.
        Yeah, I would be interested to compare them. I've talked to the guys at Tech21 before, and they are not interested in updating the TM60. I also have a FlyRig5, and it sounds great too- that would be great in an amp. The TM60 is still expensive (that really hurt its popularity).
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Played it twice and ended up buying the Mustang III.
          I found the Katana 1x12 50wt very bright and very stiff. I really wanted to like it, I imagine if I had some more time with it I could've got something I liked out of it.
          It seemed well built and I generally like Boss stuff.
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

It just goes to show you when buying an amp or anything else, musical equipment is personal preference. I did not like the 50 Katana myself. I suggest that anyone buying equipment to go and try it out for themselves. Don't just rely on here say and reviews they are a good basis to start from but when it comes down to reality it just isn't enough to make that final decision.
            If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

I have had about five days with my 50. Working mostly in the brown trying to get the break points: clean; overdrive; distortion. Been easing my way through .5, 25 50W which is a very handy option to find the marks. It is plenty loud for what it is going to be used for on its own - no mic required. Clean sound (Brown with guitar volume down) pretty lifeless, nowhere close to my 6V6 amp, overdrive it gets a little closer and outright distortion is good. Heard about speaker breakin to get the thing to sound better so I'm going to swap in a Cannibals Rex I have and see how it wrks at .5 and 25W with a well used speaker. Bottom line it is a good amp with a ton of features I haven't even looked at.

Comment

Originally posted by EAProwlerB View Post
                Heard about speaker breakin to get the thing to sound better so I'm going to swap in a Cannibals Rex I have and see how it wrks at .5 and 25W with a well used speaker. Bottom line it is a good amp with a ton of features I haven't even looked at.
                Curious how the speaker swap turns out!

I'm still torn on whether I want a basic 50W or whether I want to grab a head for a few dollars more.

I wish they offered a matching 2x12 cab already. The "WAZA" is technically a match, but $1K for a 2x12? No way!

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                  Curious how the speaker swap turns out!

I'm still torn on whether I want a basic 50W or whether I want to grab a head for a few dollars more.

I wish they offered a matching 2x12 cab already. The "WAZA" is technically a match, but $1K for a 2x12? No way!
                  The CRs sound much better! Clean tone has more depth, not as robust as my tube amp but I have to admit it is close enough that I have been using the Katana regularly even at home. Part of this is because the software interface provided is fun to experiment with.

Comment

Ive heard that the 50s 12" magnet is smaller than other 12" speakers so replacing the speaker can be hard or impossible due to not fitting to tight spacing on the back. Does the Cannabis Rex fit okay in place of the KATANAS 50w stock speaker? I am close to pulling the trigger on one as long as I know it can fit!

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarmaster3000 View Post
                      I am close to pulling the trigger on one as long as I know it can fit!
                      I've read a lot of threads regarding the Katana and majority of them said the 100w speaker doesn't need to be replaced, sounds better than the one in the 50w. The 100w model might be cheaper than the 50w + new speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                        I've read a lot of threads regarding the Katana and majority of them said the 100w speaker doesn't need to be replaced, sounds better than the one in the 50w. The 100w model might be cheaper than the 50w + new speaker.
                        Unfortunately, I already bought the Katana 50w. The speaker is okay and sounding better the more it's broken in but could defiantley improve a lot with a well rounded speaker. Anyone have success in fitting a speaker in its place?

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarmaster3000 View Post
                          Unfortunately, I already bought the Katana 50w. The speaker is okay and sounding better the more it's broken in but could defiantley improve a lot with a well rounded speaker. Anyone have success in fitting a speaker in its place?
                          Would you happen to know ohm rating on a katana 50 w speaker. I can't find that info anywhere

Sent from my SCV33 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by atf View Post
                            Would you happen to know ohm rating on a katana 50 w speaker. I can't find that info anywhere

Sent from my SCV33 using Tapatalk
                            8 ohms 😊

Comment

I saw these for the first time at the Tacoma Guitar Festival. Not my thing, but I was impressed with the demos I heard.

Bill
                              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I wonder how these would compare to the new Fender Mustangs coming out....
                                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                                X