Wiring help - Ibanez 5 way switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring help - Ibanez 5 way switch

Hi, Im completely new to guitar wiring, and Im in desperate need of your expertise !
    here is the situation :
    I have bought 3 new pickups for my Ibanez
    Bridge : Seymour duncan 59/CUSTOM HYBRID SH-16 : http://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/59custom-hybrid
    Middle : Seymour duncan VINTAGE HOT STACK PLUS STRAT STK-S7 http://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/...ack-plus-strat
    Neck : Dimarzio PAF® Master Neck DP260 : http://www.dimarzio.com/node/8199

The original 5 way switch wiring of Ibanez utilizes the pickups like this:

and I want to split 59 coil with middle pickup and outer coil(screw coil) of the neck with mid in position 4 and 2
    like this :

and here is a picture of my 5 way leveler (or switch):

I DONT KNOW HOW TO WIRE THAT TO GET WHAT I WANT!?
    I've been googling , I have read the Duncan GUITAR WIRING DIPLOMA COURSE! and most of the forum here and there .... couldn't figure it out
    do I need super switch ?!

also , Im open to suggestions for getting a even level sounding wirings!

I use 250k pots - NO push pulls and neither I can buy (im broke )
    I also have a PRS archon 25 to test my guitar.

Re: Wiring help - Ibanez 5 way switch

Here you will find SD wiring help:
    The world's largest selection of free guitar wiring diagrams. Humbucker, Strat, Tele, Bass and more!

and here DiMarzio

Comment

Originally posted by Airhead View Post
      Here you will find SD wiring help:
      The world's largest selection of free guitar wiring diagrams. Humbucker, Strat, Tele, Bass and more!

and here DiMarzio
      http://www.dimarzio.com/support/wiring-diagrams#1-1-2
      thanks for your reply

as I said , I did not find the diagram that will give me the coil split I want :

Comment

Update :
        I have learned that if I would short the south and north finish to the hot wire , I could get the outer coil connection
        on other hand, there is this video ...
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu3pL9dxIHA

reading many diagrams and schematics , Ibanez uses the same trick to get inner coil splits :
        Click image for larger version

Name:	SDpb2nx.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	5798351

Now , all I need is to combine these to get :

Name:	New wiring.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	5798352

I would appreciate it VERY MUCH, if anyone who has the answer just post it here! Im very puzzled !

Comment

The Ibanez 5-ways can be tricky and there's not much info online about how they work. There's probably a model number on the other side of that switch... if you can tell me what it is then I may be able to help you (if it's the same as the one I removed from my RG). I had mapped it out with a multimeter, so if it's the same we may be in luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by The Commodores?
          "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

You're better off looking into one of those Schaller Megaswitch models

Comment

There is no need really to put in a Superswitch or Megaswitch. If I was you I would follow the wiring from the Ibanez diagram you posted (do mind the wire color codes though, Duncans and DiMarzios using different wiring color codes then the Ibanez pups, you can find them at the Duncan and DiMarzio website, Airhead posted the links above) and then just turn (mount) both your humbuckers around (180 degrees), that will make the outer coils active with the standard wiring, and there is no need for another switch. You'll achieve what you want with just doing that.
              Last edited by The JEM Ghost; 04-19-2017, 06:37 AM.
              "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
                The Ibanez 5-ways can be tricky and there's not much info online about how they work. There's probably a model number on the other side of that switch... if you can tell me what it is then I may be able to help you (if it's the same as the one I removed from my RG). I had mapped it out with a multimeter, so if it's the same we may be in luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your reply
                It has no other writing on it but Im certain it is the same as any regular HSH models of Ibanez.
                I checked with Ibanez site and around 90% of auto split of Ibanez guitars, were just the same as mine like this with the same wiring

here are the switch back and front pictures :

Name:	IMG_20170419_230908.jpg
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	5798376Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170419_230914.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	5798377

Comment

Originally posted by The JEM Ghost View Post
                  There is no need really to put in a Superswitch or Megaswitch. If I was you I would follow the wiring from the Ibanez diagram you posted (do mind the wire color codes though, Duncans and DiMarzios using different wiring color codes then the Ibanez pups, you can find them at the Duncan and DiMarzio website, Airhead posted the links above) and then just turn (mount) both your humbuckers around (180 degrees), that will make the outer coils active with the standard wiring, and there is no need for another switch. You'll achieve what you want with just doing that.
                  Thanks for the advice, But in that case I would not get the same humbucker sound.

Comment

Originally posted by daenius View Post
                    You're better off looking into one of those Schaller Megaswitch models
                    I am researching that , if you could recommend a certain brand,and offer the wiring schematics too .... I would VERY MUCH appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by amuri View Post
                      I am researching that , if you could recommend a certain brand,and offer the wiring schematics too .... I would VERY MUCH appreciate it.
                      You want Megaswitch S https://www.schaller-electronic.com/...gaswitch-S.htm
                      Search that page for HSH3, that looks like exactly what you need.

There's actually no schematics you need to wire them because they're super easy! All you do is follow the diagram that tells you which lead of which coil goes to what terminal number. For example in the HSH3 diagram, Neck Humbucker North Start goes to Terminal 2.

Comment

Originally posted by amuri View Post
                        Thanks for the advice, But in that case I would not get the same humbucker sound.
                        Because you are using humbuckers with unbalanced coils, you are right about that. May look funny to some having the screw side mounted towards the body as well.
                        I would also advise the Schaller Megaswitch in this case, will give you what you need without any tonal or estethic changes to your setup.
                        Keep us informed how you like the DiMarzio PAF Master please, have not tried one and I'm curious about it.
                        "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Originally posted by daenius View Post
                          You want Megaswitch S https://www.schaller-electronic.com/...gaswitch-S.htm
                          Search that page for HSH3, that looks like exactly what you need.

There's actually no schematics you need to wire them because they're super easy! All you do is follow the diagram that tells you which lead of which coil goes to what terminal number. For example in the HSH3 diagram, Neck Humbucker North Start goes to Terminal 2.
                          Oh nice , thanks
                          Im waiting for BriGuy1968 suggestion too ... Im a bit broke so I dont want to spend on what's unnecessary .

Comment

Originally posted by The JEM Ghost View Post
                            Because you are using humbuckers with unbalanced coils, you are right about that. May look funny to some having the screw side mounted towards the body as well.
                            I would also advise the Schaller Megaswitch in this case, will give you what you need without any tonal or estethic changes to your setup.
                            Keep us informed how you like the DiMarzio PAF Master please, have not tried one and I'm curious about it.
                            I dont care about the funny looks of it , but as I said , I need the 59 coil sound (screws) with the STK-S7. I did not like the custom coil sound split ...
                            I love all the pickups , I played with PAF master before, It is a lovely sounding pickup, specially through marshalls .
                            I personally like High gain amps, and I heard it without reverb or any stomps the first time ... Im really happy with it , specially with 250k pots that I have now ... in my opinion sounds glorious through my own amp too(no stomps).
                            I live in Austria(Europe), it took like 3 month for me to get them , It worth every second.... I got the Seymour Duncans in a week though

Comment

Wiring help - Ibanez 5 way switch

Well, amuri, I have some bad news. I just spent the last hour-and-a-half puzzling over how to make the stock Ibanez switch work, and I just can't do it... at least not for what you want. The problem is that Ibanez has this switch set up to make it difficult to understand, and it's designed to do only a couple different setups (which it does ingeniously well, but just not in a way that will work for you). Here is a diagram of how the switch makes its internal connections:

At this point I'm going to recommend that you get a 5-way super switch. You can get one at GuitarElectronics.com for about $19 and I'm sure you could find one on Amazon or eBay for even less. I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of international shipping and your country, but there must be a way.

With that in mind, I'm going to go ahead and get started on building the diagram around a standard 5-way super switch. Feel free to PM me too.
                              Originally posted by The Commodores?
                              "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Working...
                              X